Hacking How have i got custom firmware? advice please..

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
**Solved!** last few posts explain what to do.

can someone please give me some advice on the following.. long story.. :)
so i have a new 3ds currently on firmware 11.6.0-39e.
I tried to hardmod (already done a few) followed the guide on here and 3ds guide. I backed up the nand, adjusted it so it changed to the patched version then reinstalled onto my 3ds.
After I finished turned off took all wires out and put back together, turned on and blue error screen the same one as when dumping nand when connected to usb reader. i was gutted thought it was bricked!
Left for a few days thinking I would be selling it as faulty then realised I had a nand backup, so reflashed that and 3ds booted up! Great!
Decided to try modding again so did all above again and again blue screen error so decided to give up and order an flashcard to try hacking that way.
Reinstalled my backup nand and booted up and worked fine! Then I see on the home screen FBI? Opened it and it worked, installed the packages like homebrew, the microchip one? luma etc. Decided to add a game cia i had saved on my laptop, it worked and installed!:D
However when I try nd open the homebrew menu it doesnt work, also when I turn on and press start or select it doesnt boot into either luma or godmode?
So any tips on how I could now add these as I am still confused on how i have gotten this far!
thanks

Last edited by lpoolm,

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you post a screen of your sd root so we can see whats going on?

thanks for looking!
20180609_073501.jpg

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hold Select BEFORE you press power, and keep holding while the console turns on. You're probably holding the button too late.

Thanks, but that's not the problem

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is there anything I can download within fbi or maybe install through homebrew launcher as I now have this working?

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
**Just a quck update, installed the following progam off FBi and it gives me an option to check which version of luma i have.
I still can not access it using select on boot or also L+Down+select. not totaly sure what I would need to access it for in the future? but would like to if possible
Also no progress on godmode yet!
20180609_190642.jpg 20180609_190722.jpg

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
**Just a quck update, installed the following progam off FBi and it gives me an option to check which version of luma i have.
I still can not access it using select on boot or also L+Down+select. not totaly sure what I would need to access it for in the future? but would like to if possible
Also no progress on godmode yet!
View attachment 130896 View attachment 130897
If the button isn't broken you must not be holding it at the right time. Also the down is the D-pad not the C-stick (common mistake)

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I don't think this has anything to do but, did you restore a full vanilla nand backup before doing ntrboot with the flashcard? Also just to make sure, you have to press Select, then power without releasing select. Also what happens if you boot without the SD card?

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think this has anything to do but, did you restore a full vanilla nand backup before doing ntrboot with the flashcard? Also just to make sure, you have to press Select, then power without releasing select. Also what happens if you boot without the SD card?

after the 3ds stayed on the blue screen i restored from my nand backup taken from the 3ds before the failed hardmod. It booted up fine. i had formatted my sd card and started fresh.
Thats when i noticed fBI was already saved to the home screen? I can not explain this?
I have ordered a flashcard to try ntrboot but its not here yet!
when i turn on without the sd card it starts and fbi is on there nd csn be accessed. Holding start or select on boot does nothing?2

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
after the 3ds stayed on the blue screen i restored from my nand backup taken from the 3ds before the failed hardmod. It booted up fine. i had formatted my sd card and started fresh.
Thats when i noticed fBI was already saved to the home screen? I can not explain this?
I have ordered a flashcard to try ntrboot but its not here yet!
when i turn on without the sd card it starts and fbi is on there nd csn be accessed. Holding start or select on boot does nothing?2
The only possible explanation I can find is that the console was already modded before you did everything. Also can you find the health and safety information app in your home menu? If you can't then that reinforces the theory.

Reactions: lpoolm

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only possible explanation I can find is that the console was already modded before you did everything. Also can you find the health and safety information app in your home menu? If you can't then that reinforces the theory.

you are right, there is no H&S app! right now I need to figure out how to get back to fresh and then start all over again!
i bought off ebay a few weks back but they didnt say it had cfw, it was cheap!

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
you are right, there is no H&S app! right now I need to figure out how to get back to fresh and then start all over again!
i bought off ebay a few weks back but they didnt say it had cfw, it was cheap!
Yep, that explains everything. You were lucky you didn't brick the system by installing b9s on top of whatever thing the previous user had installed. If I were you I would perform a CTRTransfer to put everything in a controlled state.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ctrtransfer.html

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You were lucky you didn't brick the system by installing b9s on top of whatever thing the previous user had installed
He did brick it by installing B9S, but was able to unbrick.

My guess is it has Shadownand or something, that doesn't allow Select or Start on boot to work.

@lpoolm try getting GodMode9.firm and renaming it to boot.firm and putting it on the root of your SD card. You may be able to get into GodMode9 that way.

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, that explains everything. You were lucky you didn't brick the system by installing b9s on top of whatever thing the previous user had installed. If I were you I would perform a CTRTransfer to put everything in a controlled state.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ctrtransfer.html

thanks again i will give that a go!

He did brick it by installing B9S, but was able to unbrick.

My guess is it has Shadownand or something, that doesn't allow Select or Start on boot to work.

@lpoolm try getting GodMode9.firm and renaming it to boot.firm and putting it on the root of your SD card. You may be able to get into GodMode9 that way.

I have just been reading a thread you commented on https://gbatemp.net/threads/godmode-9-not-launching.473509/page-2 with exactly that advice, unfortunatly even doing that doesnt boot to godmode it continues to boot the console as normal?

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.