How good is bitdefender?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by da_head, Nov 14, 2008.

1. da_head
    OP

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    i read a few reviews online. it was rated number 1 this year. i tried out kaspersky, and i felt it was to much of a resource hog. i was also thinkin about gettin avast. any thoughts?

2. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    I tried it before, it is really good in my opinion because its detection rate is very high.

3. Raestloz

Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    Hmmm..... really? I dunno, since I read a few reviews that said otherwise, Kaspersky and NOD32 rules this year.

But still, BitDefender is a good anti-virus, although I'm sure I read somewhere that F-Secure and BitDefender's scan engines are actually bought from other company, but my memory is pretty vague about that.

OOT: My Kaspersky internet Security 2009 works fine, in fact they said it's one of the most resource-efficient anti-virus, I dunno, they (a computer magazine here) do the test, for me I don't care [​IMG]

4. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that Kaspersky is a resource-hog (though they have a great detection rate too). NOD32 is known for both resource-efficiency and high detection rate, though personal experience does not confirm the latter.

I used BitDefender once (a hacker friend recommended it), and it found a lot of crap that AVG and Avast and all the free antiviruses out there passed by.

5. Raestloz

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    Well, of course, you can't expect a free anti-virus to work perfectly.

Also, I read somewhere that to gain the full power of Kaspersky and NOD32, you need to maximize all the settings, but it kinda makes you paranoid =(

6. Banger

Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

Oct 31, 2007
    United States
    @Raestloz: A freeware anti virus is usually as good if not better then a pay to use antivirus minus a few features(though usually they have a pay'd version that is pay to use) . In some cases they are actually better (see Norton) .

7. Raestloz

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    Well, it certainly is not the case with avast! Home Edition, my friend's avast is a freakin' paranoid one, and that's not better for me and for him

8. Banger

Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

Oct 31, 2007
    United States
    Well it is better for an anti virus to be overly protective then one that will let viruses in. (though could get really annoying)

9. da_head
    OP

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    wat about avast pro? (aka u have to "pay" for it?)

10. Devante

Devante Crescent fresh at best.

Nov 29, 2002
    United States
    I thought Kaspersky was known for NOT being a resource hog.

11. Votkrath

Votkrath GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2008
    Your correct, it's NOT a resource hog. It's not known for it thought, there are a few that takes less.