How good is bitdefender?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by da_head, Nov 14, 2008.

Nov 14, 2008

How good is bitdefender? by da_head at 6:18 AM (1,505 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. da_head
    OP

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    i read a few reviews online. it was rated number 1 this year. i tried out kaspersky, and i felt it was to much of a resource hog. i was also thinkin about gettin avast. any thoughts?

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I tried it before, it is really good in my opinion because its detection rate is very high.

3. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Hmmm..... really? I dunno, since I read a few reviews that said otherwise, Kaspersky and NOD32 rules this year.

But still, BitDefender is a good anti-virus, although I'm sure I read somewhere that F-Secure and BitDefender's scan engines are actually bought from other company, but my memory is pretty vague about that.

OOT: My Kaspersky internet Security 2009 works fine, in fact they said it's one of the most resource-efficient anti-virus, I dunno, they (a computer magazine here) do the test, for me I don't care [​IMG]

4. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I'm pretty sure that Kaspersky is a resource-hog (though they have a great detection rate too). NOD32 is known for both resource-efficiency and high detection rate, though personal experience does not confirm the latter.

I used BitDefender once (a hacker friend recommended it), and it found a lot of crap that AVG and Avast and all the free antiviruses out there passed by.

5. Raestloz

Indonesia
    Well, of course, you can't expect a free anti-virus to work perfectly.

Also, I read somewhere that to gain the full power of Kaspersky and NOD32, you need to maximize all the settings, but it kinda makes you paranoid =(

6. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    @Raestloz: A freeware anti virus is usually as good if not better then a pay to use antivirus minus a few features(though usually they have a pay'd version that is pay to use) . In some cases they are actually better (see Norton) .

7. Raestloz

Indonesia
    Well, it certainly is not the case with avast! Home Edition, my friend's avast is a freakin' paranoid one, and that's not better for me and for him

8. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    Well it is better for an anti virus to be overly protective then one that will let viruses in. (though could get really annoying)

9. da_head
    OP

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    wat about avast pro? (aka u have to "pay" for it?)

10. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    I thought Kaspersky was known for NOT being a resource hog.

11. Votkrath

Member Votkrath GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Your correct, it's NOT a resource hog. It's not known for it thought, there are a few that takes less.