Question How does the Switch know there is a game update?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by ThaKarra, Jun 17, 2019.

1. ThaKarra
    OP

ThaKarra Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2018
    Australia
    I'm currently running SX OS v2.7.1 on an Emunand. I have my WiFi disabled because I don't want to risk getting my console banned, I have no intention to try and play any hacked games online. With that said... How does the Switch know there is a "newer version" or an update available for my hacked games if I'm not connected to the internet? --

Not all my hacked games have the latest updates installed and when I go to run them I get that pop-up box.

2. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    I guess it's through the fw update. Latest fw contains this data, so even if you've never connected before, your system knows there's an update. That's my guess though.

3. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    That is pretty much spot on when I was researching on this topic a while ago, all the info I gathered pointed to the newest FW has a database of every single game and what update version the game should be on.
    So even if you haven't connected to the net, the FW will let you know if a game needs an update or not.

4. Itsuki235

Itsuki235 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 13, 2019
    United States
    As an interesting side note, newer versions of Atmosphere disable that "update this game" nag.

5. andyhappypants

andyhappypants Pika!

Jul 27, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hoenn
    It’s a shame we can’t patch out in game nags for internet connection which the throws an error then works fine! Bloody annoying.

xs4all likes this.
  6. ThaKarra
    OP

ThaKarra Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2018
    Australia
    Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate it! Had me sweating that I accidently had my WiFi connected the first time it popped up hahaha