Homebrew Question How does PPSSPP on Switch compare to Vita's native emulation?

evm_daredevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, I own a Vita and I love it! it's one of my favorite consoles, and my daily driver for my gaming needs on the go, but I'm still not doing much going out and I've been getting more mileage out of my Switch in docked mode lately. So, my question here is, is it worth it to play my PSP backlog on the Switch rather than Sony's own emulator? Are performance patches or upscaling possible on PPSSPP Switch? (either with Atmos or Android, I use both). Sorry if this was asked before, I couldn't find a previous question that compared both systems' ability to emulate PSP

evm_daredevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Vita's better, 'cause it has a native PSP HW inside of PSV. It's not an emulation.
I seem to remember Vita's emulation was Software-based, I guess this speaks for a time Sony cared about preservation. Shame I don't own a PSTV, these days a docked console is a godsend

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
I seem to remember Vita's emulation was Software-based, I guess this speaks for a time Sony cared about preservation.
Well, technically, PSVita has it's own MIPS processor, Allegrex R4000 to handle natively the CPU part of PSP FW and games (so it's totally not being 'emulated'), too.

The PSP software in PSV called "pspemu" (codename), which is a sandbox with some special wrappers, for things like MSCard or Net, and some other stuff like bootrom/IPL; in reality the only fully emulated part here is PSP's GPU (=Media Engine), which runs on PSV ARM cores, and it's nearly 10x more GFLOPS, so more than OK for all the PSP matter.

Moar tech stuff are here: https://wiki.henkaku.xyz/vita/PSP_Emulator

these days a docked console is a godsend
Agreed. ^_^

Last edited by mathew77,
Reactions: evm_daredevil

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PPSSPP Switch can run in higher resolutions but it varies by game how feasible that is. The Switch port is still a little flaky so performance is on the borderline of fullspeed. If you had a PC or stronger Android device that would be easier to recommend, fairly solid performance and nice texture upscaling options.

Reactions: evm_daredevil

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Vita is better as to stated why in this thread.

But PPSSPP is like one of the best emulators out there on any platform which is available.

most emulators are hack jobs. not because they bad or anything just how they are because of lack of reverse engineering of such consoles. PPSSPP was built from the ground up with a good foundation.

cmac86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Any psp games I've played on my vita are not great quality why is this? From reading this threat I see that the vita has the psp hardware so would the games not have the same quality graphics and resolution as it does on psp? Thanks

Zurce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the Game, If you wanna do Personas, probably switch is better since it can do 4X easily and custom hd textures

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like PS Vita and PPSSPP is great for Vita to be honest but I dont buy it just for emulators. I dont use it on the go anyway. Only at home.

Anyway, I prefer emulators for powerful PC. By the way, people keep forget about JPCSP emulator.

Jpcsp is a Sony PSP emulator written in Java. Of course it is not running for Switch but just wants to know if people totally forget about it ? I don't. I know two exists. :)

Last edited by spotanjo3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup