Hacking How do I go about it?

heartsfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
These may have been answered many times ..... if so can you please direct me to where it is as I've searched and searched but cannot find it!!!!!!! Thanks.

Ok I have had a Wii (3.2E) since last year which I fitted with an Argon Chip using a WiiClip.

Every ran flawless until last week where my wii has stopped reading SSBB so I got an official Wii Lens Cleaning Disc but after using this (followed instructions fully) ...... made it worse! Now no discs read .... Originals or Backups. I removed my Argon but still it refuses to read Originals.

Anyway I have given up on using Discs as I guess my lens is goosed. So I want to use a Hard Drive with USB Loader. I am going to buy either:

Western Digital 3.5" Elements 1TB External Hard Drive
or
Western Digital Desktop ExHDD 1TB Essential Edition

If anyone could give me advice on which one is better ... I would be grateful.

Also I was thinking of going with USB Loader GX (with covers etc...) but nowhere can I find a tutorial on how to install. I am not upto date on installing stuff as I use Homebrew Browser to install everything automatically. I have the Latest HBC.

So if someone could point me in the direction for a nice tutorial. I have checked the main USB Loader GX thread but dont see any tutorials.

So guys .... What do I need and what do I do????

Thankyou so much for your time .... its much appreciated.
wink.gif

dahun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might have to update to ver 4.0

all you have to do is install cios rev 9 (don' do rev 10 its bugged) get wbfs manager 3.0 and wbfs format your hd then there you go you can add games from your comp. to your hd then boot the usb loader. also if you plan to update to 4.0 use wanikoko 4.0 updater.

that the reason there are no guides its so fricken easy to do.

as for the hd im not to sure but you going to need a known compatable usb (preferbly usb 2.0) external hard drive

heartsfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok thanks mate.

But ...........

I download USB Loader GX and have 2 files .... r409 file and forwarder file.

Do I need to install both?

Do u recommend using Bootmii to backup 1st?

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
He doesn't need to update to 4.0, don't bullshit.

I have a 640GB WD Elements and it's absolutely awesome. It doesn't have spindown etc. but it DOES come formatted in NTFS so you'll need to format it to FAT32 first, but windows doesn't let you do large partitions in FAT32 so use swissknife.

http://www.compuapps.com/download/Swissknife/swissknife.htm
(Guide to use here: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-t...ive-to-fat-32/)

Then install Waninkoko's cios rev 9. Get it here. May be a few pages back.

http://wii.waninkoko.info/

Also pick up USB Loader 1.5 from there if you wanna dump games from your wii. If you're putting isos on, use WBFS manager.

http://wbfsmanager.codeplex.com/Release/Pr...ReleaseId=26808

You'll also need that to format the drive (AFTER IT'S BEEN FORMATTED TO FAT32 BY SWISSKNIFE) to WBFS with WBFS manager (shown above), which is a very noob-friendly process and guides you through.

Then you need to get USB Loader GX:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149922

Put it in the .dol file in your sd card (let's assume your sd card is J:)
J:/apps/usb loader gx/

and if the .dol file isn't already called boot.dol rename it to that. Also if comes with a meta.xml and a logo.png in there drag them both in there too (but those aren't necessary to run if it doesn't) so you have:

J:/apps/usb loader gx/boot.dol
J:/apps/usb loader gx/logo.png
J:/apps/usb loader gx/meta.xml

Then get USB loader 1.5 and call that boot.dol too.

J:/apps/usb loader 1.5/boot.dol

And the cios, call it boot.dol too.

J:/apps/ciosrev9/boot.dol .

Then use wbfs manager to put your isos on your drive (note you MUST have formatted it first), plug your drive into the usb slot on your wii and load usb gx (if it doesn't show up you've plugged it in the wrong slot). Then go to options -> unlock and type in ab121b for the unlock password (default), change the password and settings, then go back and click the box to download cover/disc images.

To install new games from discs, insert the disc, load usb loader 1.5 and press + to dump a game. Takes a small amount of time.

And I always recommend bootmii but it's not necessary for this. However it's always reassuring to have a NAND dump so you can always go back. For that go to hackmii.com, download it, have it as a boot.dol again in J:/apps/whatever you wanna call it/ then when the wii turns on use the D pad on a gc controller or use the power/reset/eject buttons to maneuver the menus, do a NAND dump to your sd card, store that somewhere and then you can always do a NAND restore if you brick your wii.

Then if you want, for convenience's sake, you can install a USB Loader GX channel by getting it from under the video in the USB loader GX thread (use the main one, not the forwarder wad), then use Waninkoko's Wad Manager 4.0 to install it (That's in the same link as the cios etc.) and put the .wad in J:/wads/whatever.wad . I'd recommend using bootmii if you want to do this, because WAD installs are where bricks tend to occur.

Hope that helped.

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
why using usbloader 1.5 to dump games from discs ?
usb loader gx does it.........
no need to use loader 1.5

and you should have told him to install the official forwarder first , so it is easier for him to update the loader....

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't seen an option for dumping in gx. You just use +? If so, handy.

And yeah, sure, use the forwarder if you can be bothered, but to be fair it's pretty much perfect right now and the only way I can think of improving it would be to make it compatible with hermes' cios.

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
yes the "+" icon on the left in usbloader GX install games on hdd.
And the forwarder is also usefull for people like me , who don't want to launch HBC everytime they want to launch the loader
wink.gif

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
manias said:
alexrose you don't have to format to fat first...

If you look on the USB compatibility guide, many a drive says that they don't work if you don't format to FAT32 first, and in fact WBFS refused to format for me until I reformatted in FAT32. Better safe than sorry.

And there's no "correct" folder name unless you're using a forwarder. I just use a wad because I couldn't care less about they tiny new features they make. As I said before, compatibility with Hermes's cios for rock band instruments is the only improvement I can think of.

By the way, is there an option for the channel to be unlocked by default? I hate having to type in the password whenever I update covers or change region settings, and I'm the only one who uses my wii.

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Alexrose said:
By the way, is there an option for the channel to be unlocked by default? I hate having to type in the password whenever I update covers or change region settings, and I'm the only one who uses my wii.

delete the password in the settings
wink.gif

so it will never ask it again.

RabidZombie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since no one has given anyone on the forum helpful partitioning advice, anywhere, I thought I'd chip in (I suspect this is because most people here are idiots and can only regurgitate steps they've been given before).

Firstly, you don't want to get either of those drives. They suffer from spin down. Now, you can use Hermes' cIOS222 to deal with this, but it does mean that you won't be able to use whatever loader you want. Research other drive manufactorers, or, if you're feeling adventurous, buy a SATA drive and put it in your own USB2.0 enclosure. This last method is often cheaper.

When it come to partitioning, you probably don't want to use the WHOLE disc (and in fact, can't, if you get 1TB). Thankfully, you don't have to if you partition it correctly. I recommend getting a GParted Live CD (google it). Format the disc now (backing up any data on it when in Windows, obviously).

If you want to use the drive with your PC occasionally, you're going to want to have an NTFS partition (unless you're using an old version of windows(

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
RabidZombie said:
Since no one has given anyone on the forum helpful partitioning advice, anywhere, I thought I'd chip in (I suspect this is because most people here are idiots and can only regurgitate steps they've been given before).

Firstly, you don't want to get either of those drives. They suffer from spin down. Now, you can use Hermes' cIOS222 to deal with this, but it does mean that you won't be able to use whatever loader you want. Research other drive manufactorers, or, if you're feeling adventurous, buy a SATA drive and put it in your own USB2.0 enclosure. This last method is often cheaper.

Ffs, you are such a bullshitter, I HAVE the drive, it does NOT suffer from spindown ffs.

QUOTEWhen it come to partitioning, you probably don't want to use the WHOLE disc (and in fact, can't, if you get 1TB). Thankfully, you don't have to if you partition it correctly. I recommend getting a GParted Live CD (google it). Format the disc now (backing up any data on it when in Windows, obviously).

Yes you CAN, you do it in WBFS manager instead of through a loader and you CAN do 1tb. Seriously, gtfo if you flame everyone then have NO idea what you're talking about. I already linked to swissknife anyway, which also partitions.

RabidZombie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alexrose said:
Ffs, you are such a bullshitter, I HAVE the drive, it does NOT suffer from spindown ffs.

Yes you CAN, you do it in WBFS manager instead of through a loader and you CAN do 1tb. Seriously, gtfo if you flame everyone then have NO idea what you're talking about. I already linked to swissknife anyway, which also partitions.

THE drive? There are two. But still, blegh. My bad, I misread Elements and thought it was part of the MyBook range (all of which spin down). Still. There are cheaper disks available.

You can partition it, yes. I was under the impression, however, loaders only supported up to 512GBs so far. Anyway, it's not like you'll ever NEED that much space. I doubt you can show me anyone who owns enough Wii games to fill up a whole TB.

No idea? Oh no, minor technicalities! Haha. You seem to have taken offense to my previous post. Calm down, it's the internet. Can't say I didn't expect it though.

GTFO? My pleasure.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RabidZombie said:
Alexrose said:

THE drive? There are two. But still, blegh. My bad, I misread Elements and thought it was part of the MyBook range (all of which spin down). Still. There are cheaper disks available.

You can partition it, yes. I was under the impression, however, loaders only supported up to 512GBs so far. Anyway, it's not like you'll ever NEED that much space. I doubt you can show me anyone who owns enough Wii games to fill up a whole TB.

No idea? Oh no, minor technicalities! Haha. You seem to have taken offense to my previous post. Calm down, it's the internet. Can't say I didn't expect it though.

GTFO? My pleasure.
Since you only have 3 posts in here im going to forgive you for your attitude , but you have to realise that this is a helpful and informative forums and thw people here are quite intelligent in general and also a lot go out of their way to do things that others are too lazy to do.
Starting by saying that most people are idiots is in itself an idiotic generalisation with no basis whatsoever and will immediately lead to people who are not idiots disliking you, and since this is the main place for the coders of wii games , and people who supply the websites that host all of the boxarts for such games (with built in coding to assist loaders in many ways) *cough* , you can safely deduce that people on here are not idiots and as such , dont like you.

Now when people dont like you from the start , and you then provide information that is not based on fact but based on assumption then your guesswork is always going to be disproved and your going to start to look like an ass in front of people you considered to be idiots just a few posts previously.

Now, to continue on my line of thought , i would like to debunk your statement that no one has given anyone on the forum helpful partitioning advice, anywhere'

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=153...p;#entry1960297
http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144349

Now please either change the way you approach the people on here and realise that there are a lot of people more intelligent than you on this site, or stop posting things that will get you flamed for youw own sake.

jebrown19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to interject my few cents here.. and in on way to argue with anyone...

Rabid: I have a Mybook 640gb and it doesn't suffer from any Spindown issues. The drive is as is out of the box and I didn't have to tamper with any settings or the what not. I don't know if this is a fluke with my drive and means it's going to explode sooner or later or what. I've never tried any other My Books and have only used a few pen drives for the loaders before buying this one... but yeah, no SpinDown
not sure if this is helpful to anyone.. but here it is.

secondly, I don't consider myself an idiot.. Many people probably do. I may not be as well versed as some on hiere.. but Kinda throwing out there that we're all a bunch of idiots... not cool man... not cool at all.

Cheers,
The Village idiot

RabidZombie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jebrown19 said:
Just to interject my few cents here.. and in on way to argue with anyone...

Rabid: I have a Mybook 640gb and it doesn't suffer from any Spindown issues. The drive is as is out of the box and I didn't have to tamper with any settings or the what not. I don't know if this is a fluke with my drive and means it's going to explode sooner or later or what. I've never tried any other My Books and have only used a few pen drives for the loaders before buying this one... but yeah, no SpinDown
not sure if this is helpful to anyone.. but here it is.

secondly, I don't consider myself an idiot.. Many people probably do. I may not be as well versed as some on hiere.. but Kinda throwing out there that we're all a bunch of idiots... not cool man... not cool at all.

Cheers,
The Village idiot

Odd. Consensus was all MyBooks suffer from it. Must be certain models.
Mine certainly does, as do all the ones I've encountered. I only wish WD actually make it possible to change it. Ah well. When I can afford a new enclosure...

heartsfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well guys ... on friday went out and bought:

Western Digital Desktop ExHDD 1TB Essential Edition

Put a few games on the HDD using my PC and installed all the needed stuff on the Wii and it worked perfectly ... no spindown on the drive .... which was good. Was so happy.

Friday night I went away for a few days ... came back sunday afternoon .... now to add the rest of my games .... so plugged the HDD back into my PC switched on the power ...........

small BANG!!!

HDD is dead!!!! Not good!!!

No power getting to the drive at all.

Will take it back to shop tomorrow. Will get another HDD ... maybe a Seagate but the shop only does FreeAgent HDDs which I have read have a high failure rate ... so dunno what to get.

Will let you know what happens next.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Si :D +1