ROM Hack how do I extrat text from a rom??

corr0126

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I want to see a few jp horse racing games translated I posted them on the requests topic and I already got a translator on board all I need is a programmer anyways how do I extract text from a rom? I already used ct2 and that didn't show me any text it looked like error code so what should I do??

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
corr0126 said:
shlong said:
the extraction depends on the rom. different roms have different structures/compression, so it varies.
so then how do I do it??

You find a programmer who is interested in the game that you want the dumper/inserter for or you learn how to program it yourself. There is no other way.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was originally going to criticize corr for expecting responses within less than a 100 minutes and being pretty upset that noone did, but at least he's trying.

Neo, you're not helping any. Why is it whenever anyone asks for help here, as in some specific directions, he or she gets a barrage of "Find someone who knows how to do it for you" responses? That's like responding to someone who wants driving lessons to find a chauffeur. And the other option, "Learn how to do it yourself" is even less help. "How do I drive a car?" "Learn how to drive it."

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
choconado said:
I was originally going to criticize corr for expecting responses within less than a 100 minutes and being pretty upset that noone did, but at least he's trying.

Neo, you're not helping any. Why is it whenever anyone asks for help here, as in some specific directions, he or she gets a barrage of "Find someone who knows how to do it for you" responses? That's like responding to someone who wants driving lessons to find a chauffeur. And the other option, "Learn how to do it yourself" is even less help. "How do I drive a car?" "Learn how to drive it."

How are you helping any? What I told him is exactly the way it is. You're not going to find a programmer willing to create anything for your project unless they have an interest in it themselves. If you cannot find a programmer that is interested in it, then the only other option is to create one yourself. You shouldn't attack someone about not helping any when you yourself are helping even less.

corr0126

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rastsan said:
Take us though the steps you've done with crystaltile2
Tell me exactly the details
What game(s)?
How you are doing it?
and so on
I'll help as I can.
ok the games are
2397 - Derby Stallion DS
2216 - Sankei Sports Kanshuu - Keiba Ryoku Nintei Shiken - Baken DS
2217 - Sankei Sports Kanshuu - Wi-Fi Baken Yosou Ryoku Training - Umania 2007 Nendo-ban
1539 - Umanushi Life Game - Winner's Circle

so I load up the game(2216 its the smalest one and I'm new to this)on ct2 and I don't know what to do from there there alot text on the right but it looks like error code or somthing also would it matter that I can't view jp text on my pc to begin with

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
corr0126 said:
rastsan said:
What game(s)?
How you are doing it?
and so on
I'll help as I can.
ok the games are
2397 - Derby Stallion DS
2217 - Sankei Sports Kanshuu - Wi-Fi Baken Yosou Ryoku Training - Umania 2007 Nendo-ban

so I load up the game(2216 its the smalest one and I'm new to this)on ct2 and I don't know what to do from there there alot text on the right but it looks like error code or somthing also would it matter that I can't view jp text on my pc to begin with

It most likely is using Shift JIS for encoding. In CT2, when you open a file, you'll notice a bar at the top with address written on the left side. To the far right of that bar is a dropdown menu (right after 0F), left-click on it and select -code page932 from the list. If that does not work, it may be using custom encoding. In that case, you will need to make a table (TBL) file that tells it which value means which character.

Although you can edit directly using CT2 or any other hex editor, you will have to manually repoint any text that is longer than the original, which is a lot usually. This is why you would program a text dumper/inserter, to do it for you.

corr0126

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mana94 said:
There is no universal program to text edit roms with easily.
You have to open it with a hex editor, and find where the font is located.

Romhacking.net/start
why the fuck does everyone keep linking me there they don't make it easy in that guide that guide doesn't even explain what I want to do I'm about to give up becuase the people here that know how to do this are no help at all and plus way too many pokemon translation and fix thread going on here

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
corr0126 said:
Mana94 said:

Romhacking.net/start
why the fuck does everyone keep linking me there they don't make it easy in that guide that guide doesn't even explain what I want to do I'm about to give up becuase the people here that know how to do this are no help at all and plus way too many pokemon translation and fix thread going on here
That's the best you are going to get

corr0126

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neoxephon said:
corr0126 said:
rastsan said:
What game(s)?
How you are doing it?
and so on
I'll help as I can.
ok the games are
2397 - Derby Stallion DS

It most likely is using Shift JIS for encoding. In CT2, when you open a file, you'll notice a bar at the top with address written on the left side. To the far right of that bar is a dropdown menu (right after 0F), left-click on it and select -code page932 from the list. If that does not work, it may be using custom encoding. In that case, you will need to make a table (TBL) file that tells it which value means which character.

Although you can edit directly using CT2 or any other hex editor, you will have to manually repoint any text that is longer than the original, which is a lot usually. This is why you would program a text dumper/inserter, to do it for you.
ok then what do I do after that

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
I'm assuming that code page 932 worked and you did find the text?
Do you know what I mean by find the text?

first what system is your computer using (I'm on 32bit vista basic)?
the system thing is important becuase it really is not that hard to get japanese support for your computer.
Get yourself EMeditor (it has multi-langauge support in it, it can auto detect the language from your dslazy dsbuff dumped files, from the rom you are opening (if it doesn't have compression, which is something else we will deal with later if we need too).
this is important becuase it will also tell you what table file you might need for your game, (utf 16le or whatever...), and from there you just google it and download that table file.

what I meant by find the text is that play the game and write down the text that you need to change or look for and use the hex editor to search for it...
the table file is useful if your to cheap to get an on screen japanese keyboard, you just copy and paste the characters that you are looking for in a new file in EMeditor, and then use this to search in the hexeditor.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
corr0126 said:
Mana94 said:

Romhacking.net/start

Because you're a begginer and this site is full of answers.
If you can translate a NES game, you can do the same for NDS game.
The process is the same. Everyone can guide you but you have to do most of the work alone

corr0126

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
StorMyu said:
corr0126 said:
Mana94 said:

Romhacking.net/start

Because you're a begginer and this site is full of answers.
If you can translate a NES game, you can do the same for NDS game.
The process is the same. Everyone can guide you but you have to do most of the work alone
yeah but that is sometimes its better to ask real people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Here we go +2