#1: Still Alive DS
Portal-like game for the DS, by t4ils. Prize: $400

medal.png
#2: Video Games Hero

Rythm game by sumiguchi. Prize: $200

medal.png
#3: Crocodingus In Cube Island

3D platform game by madpxl and birslip. Prize: $75

Congratulations to all the authors, picking games was particularly difficult considering all the amazing entries!
HUGE THANKS to all our contributors: gabringel, Sinkhead, silverspoon, t4ils, OrR, Funem, Ften, Skooj, Ricky2u, Stanny, and many more (anonymous donators) !

I have an announcement to make regarding future bounties. I have been discussing with other major scene website owners and we have decided to make some important improvements to the Homebrew Bounty!
  • The Homebrew Bounty will now take place once every 3 months (making it a quarterly event), giving homebrew developers a lot more time to come up with better games!
  • The prizes will be distributed in a completely different fashion, allowing for more authors to be rewarded.
  • The Homebrew Bounty will have its own site, separated from GBAtemp. A new Paypal account for collecting donations will also be set up (english account this time! *wink*).
  • The event will be given a new name! It will be revealed in the coming weeks when the bounty starts.
We hope you enjoyed following this competition as much as I did!
Stay tuned for the next bounty!

Reactions: Hmed and Rizzorules

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well done everyone and thanks for taking part in our bounty. If you would like to read my personal comments on each homebrew, please check the spoiler below. Congrats again.

Bounty

Looks like a Wario Ware mini-game. Very basic "game", but it made me laugh just at the sound effects alone. Not the best entry...

BrainfuckDS

Not sure what the point of this one is, if there is one at all. But they were right to call it a brainfuck (Wikipedia it).

Crack Attack

A very nicely presented DS adaption of Tetris Attack. Cute and clear graphics, with simple gameplay that works well, if a bit slow. The lack of any kind of music or sound is a let down though. Hope to see this updated.

Crocodingus in Cube Island

Fantastic little game. Really well done with amazing graphic design and 3D engine. The gameplay is nothing original but it is quite fun. This could pass for a retail game, and absolutely surpasses some of the shovelware on the system. Great music and sound effects too. Well done!

DSBrowser

Very handy utility for some. But not for me, since I no longer use slot-2 carts. Great tool though and I'm sure a lot of people will make use of it.

DSBible

Very nice book (bible) reading application, with some essential e-book features such as bookmark and search.

Element DS

Very good puzzle game that reminds me a lot of the ice sliding puzzles from the Legend of Zelda games. Very well done with good presentation, sound effects and music,... even though it sounds suspiciously like the music from The Crystal Maze at one point.

Feed Tux!

Another Wario Ware-esque mini game. Feed Tux by slipping Bounty chocolate bars into his mouth. Not much to this game, but it made me chuckle.

Fretfury

I can't really play this without the guitar add-on so I can't really comment too much, but the game has promise. It's a guitar hero clone, with just one song currently (Smells like teen spirit), the key timing seems a bit off on some notes. And it doesn't seem to matter if you don't even press a button. Still, good promise and nice presentation.

Grafoon

An old arcade style game with similar controls to Asteroids. Very difficult to control, especially seeing as the game doesn't take the space between the 2 DS Screens into consideration, but the game looks great and the engine is promising.

graphDS

Me fail maths? I'm sure some people will find this interesting. Good project.

Inside the Machine

Cutesy little platformer with nice graphics. Seems to be in early stages, but so far so good. Keep up the good work.

Legion

Very impressive game that shows huge promise. Think multiplayer death match from a top down view. Controls work very well. Great job.

Many Chess DS

Simple chess game for the DS with Wi-Fi or CPU play. Fun for chess lovers, but that ain't me.

Maouss DS

Cool little puzzle game with good presentation. Fun challenge.

Marble Preview

Very good marble maze game! Use the stylus to tilt the board and guide the marble to the goal. Touch screen accuracy could do with a little tweaking, and it seems like the author needs to decide on a presentation style for the game, with the font, graphics and music all taking completely different routes. But this is a very impressive and promising game that has a very good engine behind it.

Neko DS

Oh no! I thought I'd forgotton about that 90's PC desktop pet craze, but you remind me of it. The game needs more content, but it's a good start.

Speed!

Never played the original... Plays like a 3D run and jump type game. Promising start, but the controls are tough to get used to. Good job

Still Alive DS

Awesome adaption of one of my all time favourite games. Lots of fun and very well presented in a unique fashion. Controls are a little hard to get used to due to the size of the character but that's a limit of the DS screen size. The levels and puzzles are just as good as the original. Spectacular!

Stop at 500

Wario Ware syndrome strikes again. Not much to say about this one. Tap the screen when the counter reaches 500. Fortunately that's not 500 seconds.

SunOL

A very good ROM database browsing app for the DS. Check out ROM and release information on your Ds.

ThreaDS

A library for the DS. I can't comment on this myself.

UsrCheatup

Updates your cheat database over Wi-Fi without your cart leaving your DS! Very handy, but the slow download speed limits its usability, but this can't be helped.

Video Games Hero

Fantastic homebrew from some talented people. Guitar Hero meets the DS, but without the official attachment, and with the added bonus of some classic Nintendo tunes. Top notch presentation and playability make this entry a sure fire challenger for the #1 spot.

WALLPAPER

Learn Polish on your DS with this homebrew. A good entry and a lot of effort has clearly gone into it, but this isn't anything more than an e-book. Perhaps some actual challenges Brain Age style would help progress this software.

WintenDoS XP

A Windows UI mock up for the DS that is surprisingly verstaile, with some fully working apps such as calculator and minesweeper. Quite impressive, but the graphics could do with an overhaul, perhaps ditching the copy and paste of cheap Windows graphics, and go for your own UI design that more closely fits the limitation of the DS hardware and screens.

systemtest

A system diagnostics software for the DS. Could be quite handy given the right situation. More features wouldn't be a bad idea.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
coolbho3000 said:
I really had wished my Count to 500 would win, but maybe next time.
frown.gif
you have got to be kidding
biggrin.gif

but yeah, great entries this month.

Surprisingly, the game I find myself playing most is Maouss DS.
I love that game! I've played through the first 25 levels yesterday, couldn't stop playing!

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Next time, I will make a MAJOR UPDATE to the game, with a choice of sleek modern graphics or console-like graphics, and various difficulty levels. Maybe even a story mode!
biggrin.gif

Then we will see who is the winner.
tongue.gif

t4ils

Trophies
Website
www.t4ils.com
XP
Country
France
I don't know what to say ... I hopped that I'd be in the top 5 while entering the bounty but 1st is a dream coming true. I'm happy that all these months coding StillAliveDS are rewarded like this.
Congrats to sumiguchi for its fantastic game (and good luck in the neocompo
wink.gif
)

Thanks to all the people enjoying my game, to the community creating skins and maps, to dev-fr.org for supporting me since a long time even with my first shitty games, to my girlfriend for staying with a g33k like me.

I love you all
wub.gif

wraggster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Congrats Costello on a great comp, any comp for the Homebrew community is always a great event and getting backing of multi national sites is great too, i speak for the rest of the staff at DCEmu and say we support 100% these comps (i dont do comps, too much bloody hassle
wink.gif
)

nBrew

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Congrats to all winners
smile.gif

By the way: Nentindo no longer exists as the domain name nentindo.nl is being claimed by Nintendo as we speak
frown.gif
The site continues under the name nBrew and offcourse wont quit supporting the bounty. This nickname will change soon to nBrew. That explains the quickly made nBrew logo in the message instead of the Nentindo logo.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks to everyone who contributed and congrats to the winners :]

and thank you GBAtemp for the bounty!
it sure brings out all the hidden gem homebrew

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The homebrew Bounty is a great idea. And since the site is pretty popular and has been around for such a long time allowing more people the chance to win some cash by doing something they might have done with out a prize and giving them more reason to push through and not drop the project and making an over all better product.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I knew that the winner would be a game I've never even heard about (much less played). Ah well, congrats to all the winners.
Now it's time to try out this Portal game.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Nentindo said:
Congrats to all winners
smile.gif

By the way: Nentindo no longer exists as the domain name nentindo.nl is being claimed by Nintendo as we speak
frown.gif
The site continues under the name nBrew and offcourse wont quit supporting the bounty. This nickname will change soon to nBrew. That explains the quickly made nBrew logo in the message instead of the Nentindo logo.
How can they do that???

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol