Homebrew Applications & Network Connnection Issues

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by pembo, Jun 7, 2009.

1. pembo
    OP

Member pembo GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've been battling with this for some time now, and it's finally beat me into submission, and I'm hoping some smart person here might have the answer to my current predicament.

I'll try and explain.

I have a Newish Wirless-N Linksys DSL router (WAG160N), configured with the wireless to use WPA2/PSK AES security.
    This is all configured fine and the internet works from my laptop. On the wii the connection also seems fine with opera being able to browse t-interweb no problems, and games on the internet are also working.

In homebrew, it's a different matter.

When I launch the homebrew channel (1.03) it gets a connection, and 1.02 even told me that an update was available (though I upgraded through hackmii installer). Pressing the home key shows the right IP and it all appears to be ok.

Launching a homebrew app isn't so rosy and I get slightly different results depending on how I set up the wii with the wireless.

So - configuring as Auto IP, Auto DNS in the wii.

When I start the homebrew browser (v0.3.2) 9 times out of 10 (probably more like 99 out of 100) it fails at the network initialisation step and just constantly retries.
    When I run Anytitle Deleter mod v5 (by red squirrel) and try to update the database, again it fails at the initialisation stage.

Configuring the connection with a static IP address and filling out all the settings gets a little further.
    Opera still works as it did before
    When I start homebrew browser (v0.3.2) the network initialises successfully, however it then errors with the following
    Code:
    Requesting IP address of www.codemii.com
    Could not get IP address of www.codemii.com, using stored IP address instead
    Read error -115 occurred.ÂÂRetrying...
    Anytitle deleter is similar
    The network initialises now, and it says the following:
    Code:
    Initializing network...done.
    Request for the new database.txt...done!
    Downloading the new database.txt...
    domain www.psp-cheats.it could not be resolved
    Both fail at similar points...

To add further to the confusion I own an older DSL router - another linksys one (WAG54G).
    If I plug this in - (this uses WPA/PSK TKIP security) then everything works.

I can only conclude that either for some reason, the homebrew stuff doesn't like WPA2/PSK AES encryption on wifi, I'm going to try and change this to see what happens and will report back, or... something in the router stops it from working for homebrew for some very wierd reason, but the normal wii functions (opera/games) all work.

------------------
    Resolved

It appears for some strange reason that however homebrew accesses the internet, it appears to get confused by a wireless-n device with multi channels.
    Although the wii software (opera/games) worked fine, as did the homebrew channel, other homebrew, e.g. the browser and any title deleter mod 5 don't and seem to try and connect onto the wrong wifi channel.

To resolve this I had to disable the wide network settings, which effectively disables the wireless-N mode.

2. pembo
    OP

United Kingdom
    I messed around with the settings on my newer router yesterday but it didn't make any difference.

I turned off any firewall stuff, disabled any QoS stuff, and I also tried putting the wii in a DMZ. Nothing made any difference [​IMG]

3. pembo
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've also just tried disabling wireless security entirely on the router - didn't make any difference.

4. pembo
    OP

United Kingdom
    Just tried another approach - installed SQUID proxy server on a linux box I've got, then I modified the wii connection to use the proxy.

Still made no difference.

Looking in the squid logs, I can see the connection test done when I was configuring the wii settings:
    TCP_MISS/200 680 GET http://conntest.nintendowifi.net/ - DIRECT/209.67.106.140 text/html

Thereafter, there's nothing until I started opera on the wii and connected to google.

There's nothing to show my attempts at updating anytitledeleter mod5 database.txt, or trying to get into the homebrew browser which kind of implies it's not even getting out of the wii.

I might try installing wireshark on my PC later and watch the traffic to see if anything does indeed get out of the wii through homebrew.

I really don't get this and can't work out for the life of me what is going on - anyone got any ideas [​IMG]

5. pembo
    OP

United Kingdom
    Apologies for the bump - just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why homebrew doesn't appear to work with my router properly?

I'm going to stick wireshark on the PC in a bit and see if I can spot any requests at all being made...

It's obviously some weird incompatibility or configuration in my router that is causing the issues.... I'm at a loss as to what it could be though

6. Eddie_Brock

Member Eddie_Brock GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Seems like you have done more than your due dilligence for troubleshooting. I too have a wireless N Linksys Router (WRT300N I think). I seem to remember having to set the encryption level to WPA (or WEP) for the Wii to connect to it properly... Interesting thing is that with SSID disabled, the Wii can still connect through the router, assuming its already been setup and initialized at least once, where as our Laptop won't connect to the network at all if the SSID is disabled.

I honestly think some of the things you have tried should work. In your router setup, configure it so that your Wii always has the same IP address, and try putting that into your DMZ zone. This should work! If not, perhaps its an issue with your ISP, and you may need to make a phone call. Hope I can at least shed some light on it for you, without giving you a definitive answer...

7. pembo
    OP

United Kingdom
    it's a definite weird one.

I've tried a few more things today... first I've upgraded the router to the latest firmware.

Made no difference...

Next is wireshark.

The only wii traffic I saw was a broadcast.
    Broadcast LLC S P, func=RNR, N®=64; DSAP NULL LSAP Individual, SSAP NULL LSAP Command

My PC is a between a switch and the router and I'm guessing this might be stopping the traffic getting to me so I'm going to have to plug into the router direct to try and see if anything is getting sent.

8. pembo
    OP

United Kingdom
    wireshark direct in the router reports the same.... it is as though it doesn't make any attempt at a connection yet it works fine with opera and works fine if I plug in the old router....

I've also tried removing everything from the USB ports, and have even tried going from bootmii into homebrew channel. No difference.... this one really has me stumped.

9. pembo
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've just tried installing cios38 rev 13b just to rule out any random weirdness that the rev10 version may have caused.

I couldn't do the network install, kept getting error -116.

Plugged in my other router, network install works fine.
    Installed, swapped around routers... no difference

10. pembo
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've been uplugging all the different connections out of my router, and between doing this and retries I got into the homebrew channel once. Couldn't repeat this, and every other time I get the same issue.

11. pembo
    OP

United Kingdom
    Resolved....

It appears for some strange reason that however homebrew accesses the internet, it appears to get confused by a wireless-n device with multi channels.
    Although the wii software (opera/games) worked fine, as did the homebrew channel, other homebrew, e.g. the browser and any title deleter mod 5 don't and seem to try and connect onto the wrong wifi channel.

To resolve this I had to disable the wide network settings, which effectively disables the wireless-N mode.