Hacking Hitting wall (figuratively) with 1.0.0 Switch

ampere

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Here's what I'm attempting to do:

1) update with no fuses burned in the chance at a coldboot presents itself one day.
2) retain game cartridge slot functionality.
3) primarily focused on cart dumping to install games
4) not trying to do per se, but I have zero interest in online with this unit whatsoever. So outside of #1 and #2, I don't feel a heavy need to kid glove it if that matters. It'll probably remain in airplane mode.
5) AutoRCM - I see the option in Hekate, but it shows as being dangerous or something to that effect. Also, from what I've read you don't want to enable it except on the launcher you intend to use (personally between ReiNX and RajNX, leaning towards ReiNX).
6) backup SX Pro - would like to dump the stuff for it (haven't used license yet, if that matters) and then swap in either ReiNX or RajNX on the little payload dongle and use until the off chance I decide to use SX OS.

Here's what I've tried

1) ReiNX.guide - everything went great. Until I boot ReiNX in which case it sticks at splash screen. I believe this is by design as one of the threads here implies ReiNX doesn't work with 1.0.0. Copied the state of the SD card to a folder on PC and then switched to Hekate to do backup and RajNX to attempt CFW.
2) Hekate (CTCaer) - dumped the two pieces it listed. I see a bunch of partial files and the Boot0/Boot1. I read that exFAT dumping is better, but I don't think this is doable on 1.0.0? Also, I hear about dumping keys, is that done with Hekate and if so, which option do I use?
3) RajNX - I was able to get this to boot fine. I moved ChoiDujourNX.nro 1.0.1 to the switch directory. Unfortunately, when I click A on the controller, it appears that it crashes out to hbmenu (v2.0.0)

Unfortunately, have been trying for about a week, so hoping someone can put me in the right direction.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
You need AutoRCM in order to not burn the fuses. ChoidujourNX automatically installs AutoRCM.
Idk what you can use without license on SX Pro.
Reinx won't boot on 1.0.0.
2. Dump boot0/1 and raw GPT.
3. You need to enable debug in hekate on 1.0.0. Don't know now ho it is called, but you have to add a line in the ini.

TL;DR 1.0.0 is broken talking about homebrew and CFW, but it is doable.

Reactions: ampere

kkcheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Since we buy Switch to play pirated games, the best way is to update officially and use sxos cfw. Not do so many unnecessary hack and create headache. I am happily playing my hacked switch without any problem. And that's the main point.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Since we buy Switch to play pirated games, the best way is to update officially and use sxos cfw. Not do so many unnecessary hack and create headache. I am happily playing my hacked switch without any problem. And that's the main point.
You can't update 1.0.0. That's the worst thing on the planet you can do.

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's what I'm attempting to do:

1) update with no fuses burned in the chance at a coldboot presents itself one day.
2) retain game cartridge slot functionality.
3) primarily focused on cart dumping to install games
4) not trying to do per se, but I have zero interest in online with this unit whatsoever. So outside of #1 and #2, I don't feel a heavy need to kid glove it if that matters. It'll probably remain in airplane mode.
5) AutoRCM - I see the option in Hekate, but it shows as being dangerous or something to that effect. Also, from what I've read you don't want to enable it except on the launcher you intend to use (personally between ReiNX and RajNX, leaning towards ReiNX).
6) backup SX Pro - would like to dump the stuff for it (haven't used license yet, if that matters) and then swap in either ReiNX or RajNX on the little payload dongle and use until the off chance I decide to use SX OS.

Here's what I've tried

1) ReiNX.guide - everything went great. Until I boot ReiNX in which case it sticks at splash screen. I believe this is by design as one of the threads here implies ReiNX doesn't work with 1.0.0. Copied the state of the SD card to a folder on PC and then switched to Hekate to do backup and RajNX to attempt CFW.
2) Hekate (CTCaer) - dumped the two pieces it listed. I see a bunch of partial files and the Boot0/Boot1. I read that exFAT dumping is better, but I don't think this is doable on 1.0.0? Also, I hear about dumping keys, is that done with Hekate and if so, which option do I use?
3) RajNX - I was able to get this to boot fine. I moved ChoiDujourNX.nro 1.0.1 to the switch directory. Unfortunately, when I click A on the controller, it appears that it crashes out to hbmenu (v2.0.0)

Unfortunately, have been trying for about a week, so hoping someone can put me in the right direction.
I will just say I used rajkosto's no burn guide, it looks long and scary but it's easy and really doesn't take as long as it looks, if you want to preserve gc slot you will have to always use a nogc cfw, I don't remember if all current versions if ReiNX have it OR if you must add a file named NOGC (no extension be sure you have hide known extensions disabled in folder options).

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some ppl are smarter than that...

Imagine if some day even a whole full custom OS appears with everything in it including a bonus exploit where you just press power and it's booting to a whole new magical world and imagine this whole magical world is only FW1.0 compatible...

FW 1.0 is the holy grail and only a dumb would update it, in theory everything can be possible in it, thought only time will tell.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

Imagine if some day even a whole full custom OS appears with everything in it including a bonus exploit where you just press power and it's booting to a whole new magical world and imagine this whole magical world is only FW1.0 compatible...

FW 1.0 is the holy grail and only a dumb would update it, in theory everything can be possible in it, thought only time will tell.
It's called jamais vu :D

Reactions: Skonikol

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia

That guy has said that auto RCM is dangerous and should never be used and to just update

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That guy has said that auto RCM is dangerous and should never be used and to just update

That's old information from the days when it was assumed, that you can't charge your system, when it completely runs out of energy in rcm mode.

It was since clarified that the Switch does load in rcm mode. Only quite slowly. Therefore it is not dangerous but merely an annoyance.

Edit: You should also read the post below mine.

Last edited by Taorn,

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
That's old information from the days when it was assumed, that you can't charge your system, when it completely runs out of energy in rcm mode.

It was since clarified that the Switch does load in rcm mode. Only quite slowly. Therefore it is no danger but merely an annoyance.
It is dangerous because it completely depletes the battery beyond what is safe (beyond 0% in the horizon). But if you know how to turn it off and what's actually happening, it is safe.

Reactions: ampere and Taorn

ampere

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
The ChoiDujour FAQ tells you how to boot it on 1.0.0

This I believe was my issue. So I selected (in RajNX's Hekate with the skeleton looking thing in the bottom right) debug + NOGCUPDATE or whatever it said. ChoiDujourNX loads and I pointed it at the directory with 5.1.0 and I see a button for 5.1.0 and a button for 5.1.0 (exFAT). I'm assuming the latter is the one that adds exFAT support? And there's nothing negative with that selection? I'd rather exFAT for large file support if we're being honest.

Also, I'm looking at my backup and I see rawnand.bin.00-rawnand.bin.14. I think I read in a thread that you can merge these into a single rawnand.bin, but how would I go about this (and should I wait on the 5.1.0 update until that is performed to prevent being unable to go back)?

If I'm updating via ChoiDujourNX, it will not allow for fuse burning at all? "By default, ChoiDujourNX will enable AutoRCM on any flashed firmware image" from the guide. Am I safe to assume that it has turned AutoRCM on? I really have no need for non-RCMed boot, so long as it isn't bricking, which from what Taorn and Kubas_inko said, it looks like it may just be a slow recharge/boot. It seems it isn't the update itself that blows the fuse based on the FAQ, but rather booting into OFW after.

Does sleep mode get better after 1.0.0? Currently, it doesn't seem to work well (sleep and near death in like 7ish hours).

I mean, yeah, but I held out this long so would rather retain the ability to go to 1.0.0 at some point in the event a cold boot option presents itself. It is probably easier for people with Android devices, but I don't know if I'll have my computer with me every time I want to play it. Not sure on the piracy aspect per se: I bought the games that I'll install, my only problem is that I want to load onto the device so that I don't have to do swapping. Could buy digitally, yes, but I would miss out on sales on physical (so frustrating physical can be cheaper than digital, but I digress).

And maybe a cold boot is never released to the public and it is all for nothing, but eh, no harm, no foul then.

Last edited by ampere,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This I believe was my issue. So I selected (in RajNX's Hekate with the skeleton looking thing in the bottom right) debug + NOGCUPDATE or whatever it said. ChoiDujourNX loads and I pointed it at the directory with 5.1.0 and I see a button for 5.1.0 and a button for 5.1.0 (exFAT). I'm assuming the latter is the one that adds exFAT support? And there's nothing negative with that selection? I'd rather exFAT for large file support if we're being honest.
More support is better than less support.
Also, I'm looking at my backup and I see rawnand.bin.00-rawnand.bin.14. I think I read in a thread that you can merge these into a single rawnand.bin, but how would I go about this (and should I wait on the 5.1.0 update until that is performed to prevent being unable to go back)?
There are some joiner scripts found on CTCaer's GitHub of Hekate which you can use to combine them into a single rawnand.bin file. This would be performed in your computer, not on your console.
If I'm updating via ChoiDujourNX, it will not allow for fuse burning at all? "By default, ChoiDujourNX will enable AutoRCM on any flashed firmware image" from the guide. Am I safe to assume that it has turned AutoRCM on? I really have no need for non-RCMed boot, so long as it isn't bricking, which from what Taorn and Kubas_inko said, it looks like it may just be a slow recharge/boot.
If AutoRCM is installed, the console will never boot with its own bootloader (nx-bootloader) which is what primarily burns the fuses. Instead, it will force the user to boot up the console with a substitute bootloader and most of these bypass the fuse check (e.g. Hekate, ReiNX, SX OS V1.2+).
Does sleep mode get better after 1.0.0? Currently, it doesn't seem to work well (sleep and near death in like 7ish hours).
I'm not so sure about this one but since firmware 1.0 is considered the beta firmware, internally, a lot of its functions aren't designed to work properly hence why it has the most vulnerabilities.

ampere

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
If AutoRCM is installed, the console will never boot with its own bootloader (nx-bootloader) which is what primarily burns the fuses. Instead, it will force the user to boot up the console with a substitute bootloader and most of these bypass the fuse check (e.g. Hekate, ReiNX, SX OS V1.2+).
RajNX's hekate (rajnx_ipl.bin) says that Boot0 is going to be corrupted if I turn it on manually. That won't be a big deal (ie not going to prevent the Boot0 I backed up to be restored)?

Chances are, I'm going to flip to ReiNX once I get to 5.1.0. So if RajNX's hekate is okay for the time being, it may be a stop gap (I just can't get ReiNX to boot at all on 1.0.0. Hangs on the splash).

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RajNX's hekate (rajnx_ipl.bin) says that Boot0 is going to be corrupted if I turn it on manually. That won't be a big deal (ie not going to prevent the Boot0 I backed up to be restored)?
This is because AutoRCM is installed by corrupting the boot0 of your console (functionally bricking your console).

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The question is, does anyone care to develop for it when very few own one? I have a 1.0 switch, I don't really expect anything other then being able to boot right into cfw, and even that is a ONE DAY type thing, I have no problem with restarting my switch from PC ever few days - once a week, I don't know what people's problem is with just leaving it to charge in sleep mode is.

metaphz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Word of advice, make sure you prep all CFW you may run to not allow Game Card slow firmware to update. I did all of what you are doing yesterday and I accidentally booted ReiNX without the NOGCUpdate. Now I won't be able to use the GC Slot back on 1.0.0. I feel really stupid for screwing that up.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So your telling someone with a switch on 1.0.0, which is a pretty rare firmware and is one of the only ones that might get untethered coldboot, to just update it and burn their fuses lmao

Updating a 1.0.0 system officially is like killing a kitten, and will probably make you feel like a horrible person (I know from experience)

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Word of advice, make sure you prep all CFW you may run to not allow Game Card slow firmware to update. I did all of what you are doing yesterday and I accidentally booted ReiNX without the NOGCUpdate. Now I won't be able to use the GC Slot back on 1.0.0. I feel really stupid for screwing that up.

Unless you really want to play games on 1.0.0 it isn't a big deal, when Jamais Vu finally comes out and you need to launch the browser for it there's a guide to install Fake News without Puyo (or use tx os or tinfoil for puyo)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The question is, does anyone care to develop for it when very few own one? I have a 1.0 switch, I don't really expect anything other then being able to boot right into cfw, and even that is a ONE DAY type thing, I have no problem with restarting my switch from PC ever few days - once a week, I don't know what people's problem is with just leaving it to charge in sleep mode is.

SciresM said he would implement Jamais vu after atmosphere is done, and when emuNAND is made it'll be

Power on to horizon on 1.0.0
Launch browser
Reboots and injects payload from SD card
Boots into emuNAND on whatever firmware you want

Last edited by M7L7NK7,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you really want to play games on 1.0.0 it isn't a big deal, when Jamais Vu finally comes out and you need to launch the browser for it there's a guide to install Fake News without Puyo (or use tx os or tinfoil for puyo)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

SciresM said he would implement Jamais vu after atmosphere is done, and when emuNAND is made it'll be

Power on to horizon on 1.0.0
Launch browser
Reboots and injects payload from SD card
Boots into emuNAND on whatever firmware you want
Sounds longer then just booting from PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.