Help with WiiU playing backups

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by MikeTheDoctor, Apr 15, 2016.

1. MikeTheDoctor
    OP

MikeTheDoctor Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2016
    Hi All,

Firstly apologies for being dense, there is so much to take in with WiiU modding im getting really muddled.

I am not the most tech minded person however do have some history with techie stuff, I have however hacked other consoled (JTAG / Drive firmware on xbox, bannerbomb on Wii), I am a fully qualified computer maintenance and repair engineer, I currently work in a window server support environment and I am still struggling to find the most basic of answers.

I have a WiiU with 5.4 firmware and I am trying to figure out how to play copied games. I gather I am on a exploitable firmware, I just need to figure out how to do it. I've read the Sticky's and appreciate all the work that has gone in to writing these.

From what I read, I need to run the exploit on one of the various sites that are listed (Or I could host it myself on a local webserver which is more reliable?).

I have a few questions,

Do I need to block the Wii from updating before doing this? Does the WiiU update automatically? I'm not bothered at all about playing online or accessing the shop and not even fussed if the Wii has a internet connection. Also, do I need to go the one of these sites each time I want to play or will it add an item to my front page menu

Then is it just going to one of the websites in the list? Will it give me a option to run a game from a local USB drive?

Again, Im so sorry for being so n00bish. If someone could spell out to me step by step what I need to do I would love you forever!!

2. EclipseSin

EclipseSin FullMental Trollemist

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    What you want is already done.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.396828/

To answer a few specifics real fast. No USB, and you must launch the webpage every time you turn the wii u off or enter the Wii U settings. As well as entering or exiting vWii mode.

For 5.4.0, I believe most of the pages are updated to support it, but it's been seen way more reliable to self host on 5.4.0. It's also the case on 5.3.2, but it seems to be worse on 5.4.0 as far as running from a hosted site. You're welcome to try the online sites though, but make sure you internet conection (on the wii u) is using the tubehax DNS server as DNS 1, and just leave DNS 2 blank

Last edited by EclipseSin, Apr 15, 2016
    MikeTheDoctor likes this.
  3. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Yes, block updates first or you'll be posting a "how do I downgrade" thread soon (which is impossible).

Research self hosting if you're on 5.4. Online sites rarely work for me on 5.4

4. MikeTheDoctor
    OP

MikeTheDoctor Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2016
    Thanks guys, really helpful. Last question I promise, if I dont use a USB drive, would I host the games on a PC server or on SD card

5. EclipseSin

EclipseSin FullMental Trollemist

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    SD card, since you can't use USB for loadiine right now. no SMB support like PS2 or something right now either..

6. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Don't worry. The wii u games are quite small. I have about 40 running on my 128gb sd and I still have lots of room.

7. MikeTheDoctor
    OP

MikeTheDoctor Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2016
    Great, thanks guys. Looks like the wife is losing her cameras SD card for a whilst :D

Kafluke likes this.
  8. kimmy2000

kimmy2000 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2016
    Hi, I just got mine working. I am hosting my files on a wifi share card (Flashair) which effectively removes all internet connections so no accidental updates possible.

Last edited by kimmy2000, Apr 16, 2016
  9. redbunnyer

redbunnyer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Ok so.... I backed up a game with ddd, and I'm confused on how I'm supposed to play that backup. I've looked everywhere and everyone always points to this thread, but this thread doesn't answer that. Am I just stone dumb or is there somewhere else I need to be looking?

10. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Do a search for "loadiine gx2". The first post will tell you what folders from the dump to move to the SD and how to arrange them. Come back here after if you have more questions

11. redbunnyer

redbunnyer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Thanks. This was actually the wrong thread lol.

12. 7Robins

7Robins Bob is watching you.

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Tennessee
    :wacko: I don't know what kinda games you're playing but some of the ones I get exceed 8GB..

13. eddiejo6

eddiejo6 Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2016
    Norway
    When you say impossible do you mean 100% impossible even with an IOSU exploit?

14. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    It's only speculation what we will able to do once we have IOSU exploit. For now there is no way to downgrade

15. 7Robins

7Robins Bob is watching you.

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Tennessee
    Wouldn't it theoretically be possible?

Not that I'm very interested anywaysm. I myself am content on 5.5.1.

16. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Like I said. Speculation until it's actually released

7Robins likes this.
  17. Brandon Whyte

Brandon Whyte Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Hey do I need to use a SDHC adapter for the 128GB

18. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I dunno. I'm not an SD expert.

I just used the micro SD to SD adapter that came with it.

Last edited by Kafluke, Sep 23, 2016
  19. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Edit: damn phone double posted.

Last edited by Kafluke, Sep 23, 2016