Hacking Help with game update, WUP and other issues

Mr_P

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just wanted to check a few things as I'm cautious here.

1.Have my Wii U on 5.3.2, Tubehax block
2. Have SSB which I would guess is the 5.4.0 version as it asks for an update(Made in Japan) ( think game not system) Haven`t allowed the disc to update - should I?
3. I have tried I believe successfully the WUP installer way but it still asks for an update.
4. Whats the next step because apart from Zombie U all other games seem to give a "stack error" message if I choose Mii maker option, if I choose SSB it just goes to a mii maker edit screen
5. When I run the kernel exploit should I use the loadiine option, etc. What is the best method I have looked but hopefully a guide will help as to what I should see, follow, etc

thanks

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2. It's impossible to install game updates on 5.3.2 normally unless you either spoof your firmware to 5.5.0, or use WUP installer to install game updates to your system.

3. If Smash still asks for an update after using WUP installer, you didn't wait long enough for the update to install. Smash and Mario Kart have large sized game updates, which can take over an hour to install with WUP installer.

4. All games work under Mii maker alone, no need for Smash now adays. You must have the games on your SD card as follows:
SD:/wiiu/games/Mario Maker/code
SD:/wiiu/games/Mario Maker/content

5. You run the modified kernal exploit (Aka Loadiine kernal exploit) first. Then you run Loadiine afterwards. You have to do this everytime you bootup the console. Each time it fails, you have to enter system settings then retry. I had it fail up to 4-5 times in a row before it finally worked one time.

The update Smash is asking for is definitely a game update and not a system update, since even a reprint copy of smash only has 5.3.2 firmware on it.

Last edited by MattKimura,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I thought some of the Smash reprints had 5.4.0 on. Or did they turn out to be game updates? O.o
The Japanese version of Smash Bros has 5.4.0 on it apparently, while the USA version has 5.2.0. I don't know where I read this, but reprints had 5.3.2 which made it a viable option for updating to that firmware.

EDIT: Eh it's mentioned on the Definitive Guide, but still not where I originally read it from about the reprint being on 5.3.2 :P

Last edited by MattKimura,
Reactions: EclipseSin

Mr_P

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It is. You have to download your region's update or it won't work.
how do you mean?? download the game update using wupinstaller
E.g - for example I have captain toad NTSC, I have a pal console. what steps are needed?

fraret

A puffin
Trophies
Website
localhost
XP
Country
I'll suppose you're playing the game using loadiine. Then you have to download the update which corresponds to the region of the videogame, not the console.
See this video:

If you aren't using loadiine, you can't play a NTSC game in a PAL console, so installing the update doesn't matter.

EDIT: Download the update with NUSgrabber, not with NUSgrabber GUI, as the GUI version is broken.
If you don't know how to use NUSgrabber, reply and I'll wrote you step by step

Last edited by fraret,

Mr_P

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So if I may I am having a lot of issues here and really could use the advice. I`ll tell you all what I do from start to finish and errors along the way:

I have a PAL wii u 8GB running 5.3.2e

1. I go to my browser and use this link - exploit.wiiubrew.net
2. I select Loadiine kernel 5.3.2 (top right)
3. choose loadiine kernel installer. At this point it either returns to the home menu and may display a message saying "some data failed to download / install.
4. Here I'm not sure of the one to choose. Again go into the browser and choose Loadiine v3.0 (for 5.3.2) or have tried Loadiine v4.1. Again don't know which is right for me.
5. After step 4 I either get a black screen with little lines all over and have to restart, no ksploit message or I get the option to install loadiine and the games list pops up.
6. I have successfully got Zombie U to load but most other give black screen with stack error message and they don't load

I haven't got much further here as many games I get are WUD files but when I try to extact them with Uwizard I get the "Error extracting files" message all the time. Common key is verified and all have title keys available.

really am getting stuck here

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'll suppose you're playing the game using loadiine. Then you have to download the update which corresponds to the region of the videogame, not the console.
See this video:

If you aren't using loadiine, you can't play a NTSC game in a PAL console, so installing the update doesn't matter.

EDIT: Download the update with NUSgrabber, not with NUSgrabber GUI, as the GUI version is broken.
If you don't know how to use NUSgrabber, reply and I'll wrote you step by step

Thanks - am using Nusgrabber non GUI anyway and this seems to be going ok now. The above is my main problem

fraret

A puffin
Trophies
Website
localhost
XP
Country
Here's what I do:
  1. Go to the browser and to exploit.wiiubrew.net
  2. Select multi-kernel, nad keep trying until it says exploit successful
  3. If that works, press B to install the loadiine kernel
  4. Go back to exploit.wiiubrew.net, select loadiine 4.0
  5. Press A
  6. Select the game and press X
  7. Play!
If you download US games, you'll have to rename all folders with US_en or whatever to EU_en . These folders are usually under the /content folder.
I also have a white 8gb PAL wii U.

EDIT: if you get a black screen with white lines after selecting loadiine, try to press A anyways. Sometines it loads the menu. Regarding the WUDs I can't help you, I've never had problems decrypting them

Last edited by fraret,

Mr_P

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's what I do:
  1. Go to the browser and to exploit.wiiubrew.net
  2. Select multi-kernel, nad keep trying until it says exploit successful
  3. If that works, press B to install the loadiine kernel
  4. Go back to exploit.wiiubrew.net, select loadiine 4.0
  5. Press A
  6. Select the game and press X
  7. Play!
If you download US games, you'll have to rename all folders with US_en or whatever to EU_en . These folders are usually under the /content folder.
I also have a white 8gb PAL wii U.

EDIT: if you get a black screen with white lines after selecting loadiine, try to press A anyways. Sometines it loads the menu. Regarding the WUDs I can't help you, I've never had problems decrypting them
Thanks ill try that now
I am going to try the VGMToolbox way for the wud files seems longer but if it does the job...:)

Mr_P

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gotta say guys the help and a bit of patience has paid off. Currently have Yoshi, Mario Kart, and a couple of others working.
Moving on to the USA wud now see if I can get some of them working

Thanks for all the help so far - might hear from me soon though :D

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fraret I'm actually interested in how NUSGrabber (Command line version) works. Mind letting me know how to use it? Also is it compatible in Linux through wine?

My other question, is how do we know what the latest game updates are? Instead of v1.1.3 for example, we see them as v16 v32 v48. Is there a page that shows the latest updates? Mario Maker's getting a new update so how would we know what v to download with NUSGrabber?

Game updates is one thing that still mystifies me when it comes to downloading them for use with Loadiine. I've used UWizard but I don't trust that these are the latest updates since I went in-game and they weren't. Plus I don't know where to find the latest updates in some kind of up-to-date list.

fraret

A puffin
Trophies
Website
localhost
XP
Country
@fraret I'm actually interested in how NUSGrabber (Command line version) works. Mind letting me know how to use it? Also is it compatible in Linux through wine?

My other question, is how do we know what the latest game updates are? Instead of v1.1.3 for example, we see them as v16 v32 v48. Is there a page that shows the latest updates? Mario Maker's getting a new update so how would we know what v to download with NUSGrabber?

Game updates is one thing that still mystifies me when it comes to downloading them for use with Loadiine. I've used UWizard but I don't trust that these are the latest updates since I went in-game and they weren't. Plus I don't know where to find the latest updates in some kind of up-to-date list.
I don't know if it works with wine, I have a dual-boot W10/kubuntu, but I don't use wine because every time I used it I had problems. Probably it's going to work, but you'll have to find out a way to run it from the command line.
The usage is pretty simple: open a terminal, go to the NUSgrabber directory and type NUSGrabber.exe <game id> <v. Number> . <game id> is the id of the game you want to download the update. Remember that the 4th zero has to be replaced with an E . <v. Number> is the version number of the game (v16 v32 v64), but you can omit it and it'll just download the most recent update.
Example:
NUSGrabber.exe 0005000E1010EC00
will download the latest update for MK8 USA.

Reactions: MattKimura

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if it works with wine, I have a dual-boot W10/kubuntu, but I don't use wine because every time I used it I had problems. Probably it's going to work, but you'll have to find out a way to run it from the command line.
The usage is pretty simple: open a terminal, go to the NUSgrabber directory and type NUSGrabber.exe <game id> <v. Number> . <game id> is the id of the game you want to download the update. Remember that the 4th zero has to be replaced with an E . <v. Number> is the version number of the game (v16 v32 v64), but you can omit it and it'll just download the most recent update.
Example:
NUSGrabber.exe 0005000E1010EC00
will download the latest update for MK8 USA.

Thanks I appreciate it! That's actually easier than I thought. I'm gonna get all the latest updates for all my games. The only game that doesn't do well with updates is Mario Kart 8 I heard. According to the Loadiine compatibility list at least.

Just for curious sake, do you know a list or website with the latest updates shown? I'm glad that NUSGrabber makes it easy to get the latest, but I still would like to know when there's a new update released. Like lets say Mario Maker gets a new update and I wasn't aware of it. I can check said list and see for myself. Basically a way of following game updates.

Mr_P

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks I appreciate it! That's actually easier than I thought. I'm gonna get all the latest updates for all my games. The only game that doesn't do well with updates is Mario Kart 8 I heard. According to the Loadiine compatibility list at least.

Just for curious sake, do you know a list or website with the latest updates shown? I'm glad that NUSGrabber makes it easy to get the latest, but I still would like to know when there's a new update released. Like lets say Mario Maker gets a new update and I wasn't aware of it. I can check said list and see for myself. Basically a way of following game updates.

WUP installer is to install game updates onto your Wii U's hard drive without Eshop. Only real game discs can use these updates. Loadiine users have to apply game updates directly in the game's files on the SD card.

Basically, WUP installer is only for those who are on 5.3.2, and want to play their real game discs. Also useful for spoofing and you want to play games online but need the latest game update.

========================================================================================================================================================================================

Hi everyone,

hope you had a great Christmas.

So just to clarify in 2 examples for me.

1) I have SSB disc version and am on 5.3.2. Where and how does WUP help me?

2) I have downloaded Mario Kart 8 (USA). All works ok (crashes when I try to go to the home screen that's all). When I choose one player online the game gives me a black screen with a "stack error and loads of text.
Where and how should I apply WUP installer here if I wanted to go online. (Steps please)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1