Help with decompressing a code.bin file.

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Irumi`, May 9, 2015.

1. Irumi`
    OP

Irumi` Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2015
    Italy
    I would like to know for what purpose uses the code.bin files of the Nintendo 3DS games. But above all, I want to know if you can extract the files inside the code.bin files. By opening one with HxD I noticed several files, which I thought could be extracted.

I state that are completely newbie with software as ctrtool, and do not even know how to operate it.

Please anyone help me.

2. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    And you, why you want decompress this file, what's your goal ?

decompress =/= extract

3. Falo

Falo GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    Germany
    You can use ctrtool to decompress it and together with patchrom, you can make a code.elf from "code.bin + exh.bin".
    This file can then be opened with ida pro, there are no files hidden inside, all files are in the romfs.bin, it's only code.

"code.bin + exh.bin" is the 3ds equivalent of a windows "game.exe".

4. Irumi`
    OP

Irumi` Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2015
    Italy
    Sorry, I screwed up with the translator.

My goal would be to search for a particular file in Inazuma Eleven GO Chrono Stones: Thunderflash. Specifically, the file containing the passwords of the game (in some way the game should recognize the correct passwords from incorrect ones, and this should lead to the presence of a file, but I have not found anywhere in the extracted files from RomFS [the only ones are: banner.icn, .moflex videos, .bcstm audios, .bcsar and .fa files]). Passwords also work offline, so I think they aren't connected to some server.).

5. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Have you searched all the files and opened them in a hex editor?

6. Irumi`
    OP

Irumi` Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2015
    Italy
    In the "ie_b.fa" file, using HxD, I found "PasswordChar", but around it there is nothing else that is connected to the passwords.

7. Vidpic

Vidpic Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    Germany
    That's the same thing that I also try. I extracted the fa files, but i can't still read the bin files.

8. Vidpic

Vidpic Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    Germany
    I find in the FA file an exe program