Help with CFW and boot9strap

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by GreenGriffin5, Jul 1, 2017.

1. GreenGriffin5
    OP

GreenGriffin5 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2017
    United States
    Hey, before I start here, I have little experience in softmodding except for installing Pro-CFW on PSP, and thats about the most streamlined cfw i can think of, so sorry if I'm a bit noobish.

I decided to finally let go of my PSP and get CFW on my N3DS running 11.4.0-37E, so I looked around on the web, and found about Luma3DS and boot9strap. Following the guide on 3ds.guide, I read that I'd need 2 3DS systems to pull it off, which got me wondering, how am I supposed to get the cfw on the source 3ds? Do I need to buy it used with cfw already installed? Also, how would a used 2ds work as a source 3ds?

Thanks in advance, and again, sorry for the noobishness :D

Last edited by GreenGriffin5, Jul 1, 2017
  2. peepoop

peepoop Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2006
    United States
    The guide makes it pretty clear that the only way to do this is with a hardmod.

If you're not comfortable opening your console and soldering four wires and you don't have access to a second modded system, your only option is to wait a few weeks for a new exploit to be released.

3. GreenGriffin5
    OP

GreenGriffin5 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2017
    United States
    OK, so how do I get a second modded system? I'm thinking a used 2DS, but how would I be able to use it as a source 3ds?

4. peepoop

peepoop Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2006
    United States
    The easiest, cheapest way would be to order a refurb 2DS from Nintendo for $60 and hope it arrives with an older firmware version. A friend just ordered one last week and it arrived with firmware 8.1.0.

It's just a matter of following the guide to exploit the 2ds, then following a different branch of the guide to tackle 11.4.

5. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Nintendo refurbished consoles will always be on the latest firmware so that's a bad idea.

Brand new consoles are guaranteed to be on a low enough firmware, or you can buy second hand and ask the seller to check what the firmware is before you buy it.

If you buy a console on 11.3 or less it will be hackable and you can use it as the source.

6. peepoop

peepoop Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2006
    United States
    A lot of people seem to think this. It isn't true.

I did too. It also arrived with 8.1.0-19U. Yesterday. Direct from Nintendo.

Never discount the refurb option :)

7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    It's a big risk though. If it comes on 11.4 then you've wasted money for no reason. Buying second hand is cheaper and better (you can ask about the firmware).