Help Using Original R4 With NTRBOOT HAX

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by LinusRG, Nov 14, 2019.

1. LinusRG
    OP

LinusRG GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2017
    Canada
    I am trying to use the original R4 revolution for cfw is there any way to do this?

2. BaamAlex

BaamAlex (*(vu64 *)0x1FF81100)

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    Picture from your card pls. Btw is here a list with all compatible flashcards.

Last edited by BaamAlex, Nov 17, 2019
    alexander1970 likes this.
  3. LinusRG
    OP

LinusRG GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2017
    Canada
  4. LinusRG
    OP

LinusRG GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2017
    Canada
    The link is only to a google image because I do not feel like taking a picture of my own cart when there is on already online. Can anybody please help me with this issue?

5. Ammako

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    You have been linked to a list of compatible flashcarts, if yours is not on that list then it is not compatible.

6. LinusRG
    OP

LinusRG GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2017
    Canada
    Why is the original R4 supported it is one of the oldest flashcarts, so what prevents it from having support?

7. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    As far as I know the original R4 came out before the DSi. With the DSi (and later the 2|3DS) Nintendo started blocking DS flashcarts by putting all DS games that existed to this point on a whitelist – later DS games are digitally signed.
    If a cartridge neither is on the whitelist nor contains a valid signature the DSi (2|3DS) refuses to load it.

Later flashcarts contain at least parts of ROMs from the whitelist to get around this check. [background information→ https://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/ ]
    For a while Nintendo played a cat and mouse game with flashcart manufacturers. Each update blocked known flashcarts with better checks. Firmware updates changed the game the flashcart tries to mimic. [For example see: https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Updating_the_AK2i_Bootloader]

But as the DS-Lite and DS-Phat did not have such a check… I don’t think the original R4 can get firmware updates at all (the firmware is not the kernel on the micro-SD). Without the possibility to upgrade (rewrite) the firmware, there is no way to replace the firmware with ntrboothax.

LinusRG likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted