Help unlocking an iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by PJM, Apr 11, 2013.

Apr 11, 2013

Help unlocking an iPhone 4 by PJM at 6:59 PM (596 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. PJM
    OP

Newcomer PJM Advanced Member

Canada
    Hey all, I have an iPhone 4 from Bell that needs unlocking. I have done this in the past, but I don't really remember how anymore.

The phone is on iOS 4.3.5 (8L1) and the baseband is 4.10.01. From what I can gather online, this baseband cannot be unlocked, and when I search for information on downgrading it, it gets a little confusing. Am I correct in thinking that the phone needs to be updated to be jailbroken? Also it still seems unclear that even if I were to update (I'm using sn0wbreeze btw) to 6.1.2, I still wouldn't be able to downgrade the baseband due to not having older shsh blobs.

Any help on this is VERY MUCH appreciated. I have tried searching but most of the info is on the jailbreak itself and not the unlock, or just really old information.

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You're almost correct… iOS 4.3.5 can be jailbroken on the iPhone 4, but there was only a tethered jailbreak for it. Even if you can downgrade to iOS 4.0, you cannot downgrade the baseband to 01.59.00 since Apple no longer issues signatures for it. The only ways to unlock are with a "SIM interposer" (something that goes in the micro-SIM slot… Apple can stop these from working in future updates though), give your IMEI to an unlocking service (they insert your IMEI into Apple's list of unlocked iPhones, so it will remain unlocked for life), or ask your carrier. If you decide to use an unlocking service, make sure you find a trustworthy site, since an IMEI number is pretty sensitive information. (Two trustworthy IMEI unlockers are Chronic Unlocks and CutYourSim.)

3. Izen

Member Izen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Also, you can't update to iOS 6.1.2 at all if you don't have SHSH blobs saved for it.

4. great123
    This message by great123 has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 13, 2013.
    Sep 13, 2013
  5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    What is your phone? What firmware version is it on? What baseband version?

Keep in mind that free unlocking is becoming increasingly rare. Most phones now require unlocking either through the network provider or paid online unlocking services.