Hacking Help unbricking my Wii!

Kurisai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've spent the past few days trying to recover my Wii which is bricked in some form, but I have had no luck.

The actual problem basically goes like this: I used to be able to access system menu, but games would freeze during play, then sometimes "system files are corrupted" comes up on my screen, but the actual text for this is garbled and missing chunks of it, so you can't even clearly read it. After this happened most times I was able to reboot the Wii and everything ran fine. But now the system menu loads once in a blue moon, and then when I tried to put in a game disk to just update to a newer firmware to start over it froze.

I have preloader 0.29 and BootMii, but unfortunately I have no idea where my NAND backup for BootMii is. I searched for it but I guess whenever I originally installed it years ago I had no idea what I was doing. Also when in boot mii or preloader, I am unable to run HBC, if I attempt to it goes to a black screen.

I've been trying to run WAD manager through preloader, and tried to run a Universal Unbrick Disc V2 or whatever it was called, but can't seem to get the disc to boot itself, even when trying autoboot from preloader. When I ran WAD Manager 1.7, it asks me to pick a IOS and if I pick IOS 250 it gives me a code dump, when picking IOS 249 it locks up on Loading and never finishes (I waited 10 minutes before moving on).

Ideally someone could just link me to a .dol file that will immediately boot whatever disc I have and I can start from scratch, but if anyone knows a way to unbrick everything easier that's good too, though it's been so long since I've actually used any of the hacked files that I don't mind having to install everything again.

My system menu is v417 so I think that was version 4.0. I don't have a modchip or anything, it's just softmodded, and I was pretty sure I put cIOScorp on it back when it was running, but I have no idea how to confirm if such a thing exists.

I also tried doing a system check with DOP-Mii, and that ran through but froze at saying some version of my system was ES_something patched and it didn't give a number.

If there are any other questions let me know, or if anyone is willing to walk me through in a manner that isn't just on this forum, PM me and I can figure out a way.

Kurisai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by hackmini.elf? I was assuming it meant the hack mii bootmini.elf but when I tried to run that BootMii just kind of froze.

Sgt. Cuddles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apparently can't post a new topic, so I guess here is good.

Looks like I bricked my Wii. I have Priiloader and a CSM (which was probably a bad idea but it's been working ok for a few months).
Before bricking, my Wii would usually fail to load the Wii system menu so I'd have to use Priiloader. From there or Homebrew things seemed to work fine, usually. Sometimes, when I'd select Launch Title, I'd get a "stack dump" screen and have to reset again. Also, just before this, my Netflix kept freezing.

I went into priiloader to mess with some stuff. I turned off Auto press A at the safety screen and updated menu from 4.1 to 4.3. While it was updating, I clicked in my SD card which I had unplugged while I was trying to get my Netflix to work. It continued unaffected and said the update was successful.

After that, however, my priiloader started acting up. The menu screens would repeat themselves and I couldn't navigate back to the main menu. I try to reset and I get a blank black screen now, no matter what I do. No priiloader. No system menu. No homebrew. No error text. Just black.

I don't know what a Nand Backup is, but if it was suggested I make one when initially hacking my Wii with ModMii or whatever, I probably did it.
Also, my Wii is oldschool. Like, I camped outside Best Buy the night it came out to get one, so it's as old as a US Wii can be. Just FYI.
Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to ask questions or call me dumb or whatever.
Thanks.

Sgt. Cuddles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never mind. Apparently by utilizing the power of FM, my Wii suddenly works. It also no longer has the custom system menu I installed which is good because I wanted to remove that anyway, just in case. I have no idea how that happened though but I feel like I should just delete MyMenuify.

Still, I'd like to know what a NAND backup is and how to utilize it. All the discussions I've found talk about it like everyone just knows what it is and how to use it which makes me feel like a re-re.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
Never mind. Apparently by utilizing the power of FM, my Wii suddenly works. It also no longer has the custom system menu I installed which is good because I wanted to remove that anyway, just in case. I have no idea how that happened though but I feel like I should just delete MyMenuify.

Still, I'd like to know what a NAND backup is and how to utilize it. All the discussions I've found talk about it like everyone just knows what it is and how to use it which makes me feel like a re-re. Install Bootmii using the hackmii installer. if its installed as boot 2 it will appear when the wii boots, if not go to the hbc, press home. use the POWER and RESET buttons to navigate. Press POWER 3 times then RESET two times and wait to finish

Sgt. Cuddles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I'll try that when I can. Apparently, my Wii is back to black screen again. Priiloader isn't working either.Maybe I messed it up when I updated to 4.3.

Next time it decides to boot I'll do that though. Any advice on getting it to start up in the first place? Does anyone else have so much trouble just getting the Wii to boot normally?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @K3Nv2 That list puts Zero Mission in first place, which I already played.
    Mother 3 in second place. I guess I'll play that.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anything hello kitty related then
    Could replay Metroid, though. Amazing screen on this thing.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Miyoo are basically repurposed blackberry displays believe it or not I always take my miyoo on the go
    @K3Nv2 You joke but this was amazing for 10 year old me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC6adnfSaew&ab_channel=IGN
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Install onionos also if you haven't already
    It still looks dope.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Amazingly I didn't really care for the GBA
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, dragon quest 4 bored me
    Let's play.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I should add a 256gb card in mine and load like 100ps1 titles to it eventually I will
    Will you play them all?
    I've only ever played Castlevania Symphony of the Night from PS1.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't play games here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I dont have one of those but gbarunner2 in twilight menu works quite decently for me
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Don't get me wrong GBA absolutely had some great games but overall the sound and graphics just meh to me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The remastered crash bandicoot was pretty decent ngl
    @Xdqwerty I had a NDS long ago, but L and R broke very fast.
    My sister had a N3DS XL and it suffered the same fate.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl the L button barely worked at all in the dsi i previously had
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    my dad bought me a dsi identical to that one
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That could be an easy fix without even opening it with some ipa maybe unless the entire button broke
    That´s why I never got any handheld before the Switch.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, thats why patches exist
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, thats why patches exist