Gaming HELP my MP3 player isn't functioning!!

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, its been long..
laugh.gif

My problem is that my MP3 Player, RCA Opal M4008A 8GB sort of stopped working.
The player itself is working fantastic, but when I connect it to the computer via USB, the problems arise
frown.gif

Whenever I copy, delete, move, or do something to the music inside the MP3 or copy new ones, the player disconnects.
It used to give an error message, that "the device has been disconnected or has stopped working", but now it just disconnects and reconnects again..
I don't know what to do, PLEASE HELP!! I love this MP3 Player, don't want to get another one..
Thanks

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, it doesn't do the same thing on my dad's laptop.
But on my other computer, like this computer, I plug it in alot there so it stopped working at the other one too. It works on my dad's laptop, but using that isn't an option since he uses it for his work
frown.gif

PLZZ HELP!!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
So it works on a laptop but not on 2 computers... bad drivers maybe? Although it's unlikely across two computers at the same time. If it is though, the fix is simple - uninstall all USB drivers, restart the comps, then reinstall them.

It could be worn down ports on the computer (which is unlikely to happen to both unless you really do use them a lot), or on the MP3 player itself. Get a light source and look closely inside the USB part and see if you can see any dirt or scratches or signs of fading in the metal. USB relies on good contact with the port for communication, so whilst it may work just plugging it in, heavy comminucations (i.e. copying things over) may get some interferance, leading to the "USB has malfunctioned" error.

It could also be a sign of damage in the MP3 player, but if it works fine on a laptop, there's no reason there should be.

It could also be low level corruption in the MP3 player and require a format to clear it. You could try running error checking to see if that turns up anything, if it even works (right click the drive, properties, tools, error checking).

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No I don't mean that it doesn't completely not work.
It used to work on the other two computers, but also messed up after I used it alot.
So in this case, how would I fix the USB, can I actually format it without it disconnecting?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you want to try formatting it to see if that's the problem, your best bet is the laptop it still works on.

You might still want to try reinstalling the USB drivers, as they tend to deteriorate over time anyway (one of my laptops used to reject any USB mouse except one particular one - until I installed Windows 7 over it, so now it works fine again).

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I've always stuck with Creative MP3 players, but these days I just use my phone, so I don't know anything about the current generation of MP3 players other than that I've seen in passing at stores.

I do however know that most headphones won't be able to tap into the full quality of the MP3 player unless they're rediculously expensive ones (like I've seen some BOSE in-ear plugs for £300, which I think is stupid but I'm not about to try them to see if they're worth it), one one MP3 player is pretty much just as good as the next.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol