Help Buying a new TV

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help choosing a tv. The size I am looking for mostly is 43 inches, but I don't want spend too much. Mostly looking for buying one at best buy. Mostly want it for gaming, but just having a tv is what matters most to me.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I own an LG C9 55". I consider it one of my best buys, I think every penny I put into it was worth it.
It is not cheap though, but if you want to make the extra effort and buy this one I think you will not be disappointed.
Nowadays there is the new model, CX, I think they also have it in 48", not sure if they have it in 43".
It supports 4K HDR, 120Hz, variable framerate (GSYNC/FREESYNC), and it's sure ready for next gen, but most of all you have to love those deep blacks, vibrant colors and perfect contrast.

Anyway, this is not what you asked for, but I have to recommend it because I am really happy with mine.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own an LG C9 55". I consider it one of my best buys, I think every penny I put into it was worth it.
It is not cheap though, but if you want to make the extra effort and buy this one I think you will not be disappointed.
Nowadays there is the new model, CX, I think they also have it in 48", not sure if they have it in 43".
It supports 4K HDR, 120Hz, variable framerate (GSYNC/FREESYNC), and it's sure ready for next gen, but most of all you have to love those deep blacks, vibrant colors and perfect contrast.

Anyway, this is not what you asked for, but I have to recommend it because I am really happy with mine.

Best Buy is one of the electronic retailers here at the states.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know. I meant it was one of the best buys I did, not that I bought it at best buy.
I guess I could have said "best purchases" to avoid confusion.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Knowing your actual budget might be useful, simply saying "I don't want to spend too much" isn't particularly helpful. I could recommend you a $300 TV that's half-decent or a $600 TV that's decent and good value.

Would also be good to know what you're expecting from the TV. Do you want good HDR? Do you want 4k? Smart TV (though these days most TVs you'll buy are gonna be smart whether you like it or not)?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...tv-smart-led-with-hdr/6401747.p?skuId=6401747 < This $350 Samsung model is generally recommended as a good "value" 4K TV. HDR peak brightness is mediocre, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money any TV with HDR you pick will have mediocre brightness so meh.

If you have a bit more money you can toss at a TV, this $600 Sony: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-4...-uhd-smart-android-tv/6400729.p?skuId=6400729 < Is considered to be generally pretty decent for 43" TVs, that aren't like $800+.

If you want something sub $300, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...tv-smart-led-with-hdr/6401740.p?skuId=6401740 < This will work well enough. Basically last year model of the $350 TV above.

scottyboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
id say a sony bravia they really good for all the apps ect unlike the lg wich makes it so difficult to get a app you actually need

SANIC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't actually mean anything, it's just a marketing term. The TV itself is just standard LED.
So is there no difference between the third and first link? And how does HDR factor into the image. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to TVs.

My budget is like Sub 450

Last edited by SANIC,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
So is there no difference between the third and first link? And how does HDR factor into the image. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to TVs.

My budget is like Sub 450
As I said, the cheaper one is simply last year's model. It's slightly worse than the TU8000, so if you don't really notice much difference between TV quality, you could probably just cheap out.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/tu7000 <
vs
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/tu8000 <

In regards to HDR, or High Dynamic Range, you can essentially think of it like a new image processing format that allows for more range in color (0-1023 colors vs 0-255 colors of SDR) and lighting in videos and video games. However, you should note that in order to take advantage of HDR, you need to have content that was made to support HDR, so things like older games or movies won't be see this improvement, but games and videos nowadays are starting to adopt HDR as standard so it may be "important" for gaming if you plan on playing any future games and want to experience the extra colors and lighting.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
HDR support means you can feed a signal with a wide luminosity range (in one of the supported HDR formats).
This, in short, means that you can have picture that keep lot of detail in both dim and bright parts of the image.
As e.g. you can have the sun in one part of the picture (and it may literally blind you), light parts full of details, and shadows also full of detail.

Without HDR you don't have this amount of simultaneous detail in both dim and bright areas.
That said, I believe for HDR to work well you need a panel with very good contrast, very high top luminosity, and (in case of LCD/LED) a big amount of independent local dimming zones; in other words an expensive panel.
I am not sure if HDR will have as big an impact if the panel can't really take advantage of the wide range in the signal.

PS: from my experience, in the past I had a SONY KD-55X8505C, it supported HDR but it didn't have much peak brightness, and it sure didn't have local dimming zones. I still noticed some nice visual improvement when turning HDR on for Forza Horizon 3, but I don't think it made much of a difference. With the TV I have now it makes quite a difference, but sometimes having a sun in the screen that literally blinds you starts getting a little annoying.... In short, I don't think HDR support is very important if your panel doesn't have high peak brightness and good contrast/plenty dimming zones.

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you’re looking for something cheap, I would recommend you having a look at TCL’s (?) models. They’re often used in comparison videos as a budget option and they’ve been tested/found to have very low latency/lag + decent picture. Popular with gamers. If you’re looking to spend more, I would look at LG (manufacture panels for SONY, Panasonic, etc) or Samsung.

Last edited by kineticUk,

SANIC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ended up going with the TU7000 since a bunch of stuff happened yesterday at BestBuy, like our pick up order not being processed and the bestbuy employees closing almost an hour before. I was going to buy the TU8000 since the 7000 was OOS at that bestbuy, but afterwards I cancelled that order and changed the bestbuy I am buying the TV at which had the 7000 in stock

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up