Has anyone here installed n64 hdmi mod?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Maluma, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Maluma
    OP

Maluma GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    Has anyone here installed the n64 hdmi mod?I've been wanting to do it but I am afraid of how difficult it looks considering I have never soldered before.Thanks.

2. WD_GASTER2

WD_GASTER2 I tinker and code.

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    the n64 hdmi mod is considered intermediate to advanced in terms of installation. you kind of have to know how remove excess off the chip with plenty of no-clean flux. I would advice it only after you have really gotten comfortable with a soldering iron.

3. Zonark

Zonark Zonark - Noun - A God

Jul 11, 2010
    United States
    I personally would suggest having someone else do it. This is nowhere near easy nor first time soldering material. Personally Id get a multimeter build kit to train and a bunch of flux and kapton tape

WD_GASTER2 likes this.
  4. WD_GASTER2

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    actually even getting practice with doing some simple hard mods to other systems is good too. However, yeah its not something recommended for beginners.

5. Maluma
    OP

Maluma GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    Dream died anyways.Just found out that the kits are impossible to get.I did read someone on reddit that pulled it off as their first time soldering something.Do you have an n64 hdmi mod?

6. WD_GASTER2

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    A friend of mine does. He paid to have it done. Also its neat but yes they are super short in availability. I have done soldering mods to other consoles for years inlcuding removing chipsets from boards and know how easily you can make a mistake and bork something with 20+ pins less than 1mm apart from each other.
    Also it is possible to do on the first try but the lack of experience coupled with the heavy investment (its expensive as fudge) is not a good combination ya know?

7. Maluma
    OP

Maluma GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    Yeah I feel you.I wanted to do it more as a project than actually owning an hdmi n64.With how much money it cost and how hard it is to get a kit,I think I am going to have to pass.Only other thing Ive thought about soldering was an xbox modchip when I was 10 but with softmods there's really no point.

8. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    I have a Retrotink 2x which is pretty good for N64.

WD_GASTER2 likes this.
  9. Maluma
    OP

Maluma GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    Is that a hardmod? Also,is PC n64 emulation really that bad?Or are speedrunners just being snobs?

10. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    It's a line doubler for 240p and 480i analog inputs to 480p HDMI out