Hardware Hardware/Software Cursor Issue With My New 3DS XL

Gamelogic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my handheld a few weeks ago brand new and have opened it to help repair a friends' handheld (gave him my analog while I used a newly purchased metal analog stick). Its only been opened twice, including last night which is where my issues began. I felt that the new analog stick would scrape the surface of the area where the analog rests so I cut a clear sticky circle and placed it underneath the analog and it works perfectly....except when I put the 3DS back together something odd happened...now, whenever I power on the 3DS, the cursor continues to move to the far right until it hits the edge and it then stops. Even while its moving to the right, I can force the cursor to go left with the d=pad or c-stick but it'll continue to push right for a certain amount of time lol..so weird...all the while, the analog isn't working at all...I don't understand why. Its brand new...no crushed, cut or smashed wires or cables....no broken or scraped anything....I use ESD tools...I'm extremely cautious....and so I then figured I'd remove the analog completely to see if it would still move right (the cursor). It actually does! Without the analog connected to the PCB, when powering on, the cursor still moves to the right, behaving oddly...I am at a complete loss as to what went wrong and here I was extremely careful....as I always am when working on sensitive electronic devices such as this, especially gaming devices.

I was wondering if ANYONE can she ANY light on this weird ass issue.....really sucks but I'll keep at it until I can figure out what went wrong. I'm not even sure if I should get a new analog replacement as I'm not convinced yet that its the analog component thats causing the issue. Thanks for any and all help.

Gamelogic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bump:

Research Notes 1) This is interesting....research around the web indicates that this is quite a common issue though there are small or minor differences in my own observed events. When putting the handheld in sleep mode, and then reopening the handheld, the cursor issue does not occur. It is only when it is powered off and then, powered on, does the cursor movement to the far right occur. I guess this is some good news.

BetterDuck

I am truly remarded
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that this thread hasn't got much attention. I don't have much help to offer, but I'd suggest asking in the IRC or Discord since this section seems kind of barren.

Reactions: Gamelogic

Gamelogic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that this thread hasn't got much attention. I don't have much help to offer, but I'd suggest asking in the IRC or Discord since this section seems kind of barren.

Well honestly I am not sure anyone can help. I'll try discord but I will also update/bump this topic whenever I come across any new findings.

Reactions: BetterDuck

Gamelogic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Research Notes 2) Received brand new circlepad/analog mechanism replacement. Will install and report findings later.

Gamelogic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Research Notes 3) Great news: The cursor no longer automatically scrolls to the farthest right on startup. I purchased a new (or used more like it...) analog mechanism but unfortunately, I cannot even move to the right on my own lol....so odd but could be the faulty analog mechanism....I hope.

Interestingly enough, I completely removed the analog mechanism during the first week or so of my diagnosis of this issue and the cursor continued to move rightward on startup....I naturally assumed that perhaps this is because the analog mechanism isn't or wasn't the issue....seems I was wrong but this is still developing. So far, half good news is, the auto-movement to the right has ceased, but I cannot manually move the cursor to the right. It is as if moving the circlepad/analog to the right has absolutely no reaction or response...Will return the mechanism and purchase a brand new one.

Gamelogic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Research Notes 4) I guess for now, all is perfectly well. I ended up getting a new (another/2nd) analog replacement and the handheld works perfectly. Moves in every direction, startup is perfect, shutdown, restart, sleep, you name it. It is brand new again and hopefully for forever. The issue was clearly and unequivocally the analog mechanism. I am confused because at one point I did detach the analog from the motherboard.....and the "right cursor movement" still persisted...not sure whats going on. It all works perfectly now in any event.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Welp I'm off to best buy because I figured out how to shove another 14tb hard drive in this server 😂