Hardmod & Downgrade but no A9LH

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Biovirulent, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Biovirulent
    OP

Biovirulent GBAtemp Fan

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    So I'm getting a hardmod and downgrade done, but couldn't afford getting A9LH installed at the moment. So I have a few questions.

Where do I begin to install A9LH from that point on? Where do I start in the guide (Answered)

And what am I able to do and not able to do with a hardmod/downgrade by itself?(Found an answer in another thread, basically A9LH means faster CFW boot from what I read. Not worth it to me to possibly brick.)

Last edited by Biovirulent, Jul 14, 2016
  2. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    If the hardmodder downgrades to 9.2, then start from here
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-3-(RedNAND)

3. Biovirulent
    OP

Biovirulent GBAtemp Fan

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    All right, thank you for answering that question. Is there anything important I should watch out for doing this? I remember trying to a downgrade from 10.7 and softbricked because that part wasn't in the steps.

4. Davidosky99

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    remove the dsiware you might have or embassador titles.
    also do a system format

5. Biovirulent
    OP

Biovirulent GBAtemp Fan

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    All right, dang. Is there a way to back up/get the dsiware titles back afterward?
    And the save data of those and other games I have?

6. Davidosky99

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    you don't really need to do a system format.
    you only really need to remove dsiware and ambassador titles.
    a system format is recommended to decrease the chance of bricking.
    you can backup your save data(3ds) via the native backup system?
    and you can grab the 3ds/dsiware via that iso site, funkeycia with titlekeys(that tilekey site) or the freeshop

Biovirulent likes this.
  7. Biovirulent
    OP

Biovirulent GBAtemp Fan

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    All right, this clears things up for me. Thank you.
    I just wasn't sure I could backup dsiware saves via that. (Unless I can't actually- this is only important to me because I make little tunes in rytmik and such to later manually transfer melodies and such over to a PC studio program)

Last edited by Biovirulent, Jul 14, 2016
    Davidosky99 likes this.
  8. EmuAGR

EmuAGR GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2016
    I downgraded with DSiWare and all my ambassador titles installed. This is NOT really needed.

9. Biovirulent
    OP

Biovirulent GBAtemp Fan

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    I read up on it and apparently A9LH is only for a faster CFW boot and be able to unbrick your 3ds later on (which is useless if I end up bricking it myself installing it) So I might just go without it. Thank you for your input though :)

10. Davidosky99

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    it might be needed because it increases the chance of a softbrick happening.
    Again, we are talking about chances and having dsiware, makes the chances of bricking higher

11. Skyshadow101

Skyshadow101 The Sky Is The Limit!

May 22, 2016
    United States
    The Underground
    Honestly and truly, A9LH is for people who want to save some time from booting and to have access to cool features, but if you're like me and you just want to play games, then just stick with the Emunand setup.

12. annson24

annson24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2016
    It's also brick proof and update safe. I only recommend a9lh to devs and to those who share their 3ds with others (i.e sibling, partner).

Here is a scenario for you: You stayed on coldboot emunand and didn't bothered doing a simple guide like (i don't know) A9LH? Then your spouse borrowed your 3ds and accidentally booted sysnand. The 3ds then displayed that he/she can update the device and proceeded to do so. BAM!, hardmod to return back to CFW.

13. Biovirulent
    OP

Biovirulent GBAtemp Fan

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    It is a possible scenario that could happen, yes, but I'm the only one who uses my 3DS so I think I'm good. :) I'm just impatient to be honest, and don't trust myself to not screw something up in the a9lh installation. That's all.
    And if I had the money at the time, I would have just paid for it to have it installed.

annson24 likes this.