Hard Drive Sleeping

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by chaosglory, Jun 5, 2009.

Jun 5, 2009

Hard Drive Sleeping by chaosglory at 2:57 PM (1,223 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. chaosglory
    OP

Newcomer chaosglory Newbie

United States
    When using USB Loader 1.5 and a Western Digital Passport drive on CIOS Rev 10 how can I stop the drive from going to sleep?

Seems to happen after awhile of playing Mario Galaxy and Animal Crossing.

2. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    You have to find the software for your drive.
    The maker of the drive usally has it for download on their official website.

3. ApolloCheese

Member ApolloCheese GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    i have the same problem with a WD My Passport Essential 320gb. it goes to sleep in a lot of games like SMG (paused a few min) and playing Mario Kart online (very annoying [​IMG] )
    i tried almost all loaders and up to cios rev10 and it's all the same...i opened up my drive following this guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=146789 and successfully set the spindown time up to 5 hours and 30 minutes with hdparm - but it still goes to sleep randomly (SMG, MK...)
    there's also a spindown utility by wd but apparently you can't turn off spindown: http://www.winvistatips.com/wd-spindown-ut...cess-p14474.php
    now i play mk from sd on usbl 1.4 which works great!!!
    seems like we have to wait for a new cios rev or usbl that keeps the HDD busy and awake...

4. magic12

Member magic12 GBAtemp Regular

Croatia
    u can use Hermes cios+uloader

or

Waninkokos new cios rev13-b

for fixing the problem

5. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Only seagate has their own software that really turns off spindown, the rest doesn't remember it after a power down.. so the rest have to be taken out of the usb case, put into a pc, and tweaked with HDPARM (there's many threads on this, search poster #1 [​IMG] )
    Rev 13B does NOT fix this, it only allows access for other usb devices such as the network adapter. NOTHING on hd-spindown i'm afraid.
    uloader w. cios222 apparently does, but all info si in spanish. HDParm is the easiest way to go i'm afraid.

6. hdhacker

Member hdhacker GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wow, WD drives going to sleep. Who knew?

What's the hardware revision of the drive you have?

Try this program: http://hddscan.com/

Let us know if it makes a difference. Try turning it off first. If that doesn't work, try setting to the max.

7. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    My Seagate FreeAgent drive used to "fall asleep" every few minutes. So I downloaded the software for it from their website and turned off the power management. Now it doesn't go to sleep at all. It even remembers the setting after being turned off.

8. manias

Netherlands
    yes, but like I said that only works on seagate drives (and some maxtor since they are owned by seagate)

9. neutronium

Newcomer neutronium Newbie

United States
    Rev 13 does fix this (a at least didn't try b). If you do the Mario Kart test you can see the HD light blink every few seconds which it didn't in previous revisions.

Hermes' 222 does this too but I experienced occasional pauses using that which don't happen with rev13. I'd suggest OggZee's cfg loader over uLoader if you want to try 222.

10. manias

Netherlands
    that mario kart test says nothing really [​IMG] Quite a few people's hd's don't sleep in that, while they do in other games..
    Anyway it's not in the release notes of rev13

11. Hyaku Shiki

Newcomer Hyaku Shiki Member

Canada
    I also think that HDParm only works on pata/ide drives. Is there anything for Sata? I have a 500G Sata drive for WD.

12. manias

Netherlands
    I think it does work on SATA tho, try it
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/li...command-585480/

13. neutronium

Newcomer neutronium Newbie

United States
    It does if you do it right. I was always able to reproduce the problem every time as my HD has it in every revision before 13. Hermes' cIOS fixed it and rev13 does too. I know it's not explicitly in the notes but it says improvements from Hermes or something so maybe it was one of those.

Anyway I had the sleep problem and rev 13 fixed it. So if you have the problem try rev 13.

14. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States

I got an old ass maxtor internal drive(Pata 100Gb) i just put in an external enclosure.I downloaded that program.
    What setting is the spindown one?

Currently is has

Power Management = disabled.
    Advanced Power Management = disabled.
    Automatic Acoustic Management = Current 254 /Recommended 192

I tried finding maxtor software but cant find any that will detect the drive.
    The enclosure is one i got from ebay.

15. manias

Netherlands
    ah well who knows maybe he did put it in.. those release notes are quite unclear anyway.. means nothin to most of us :/