Hard Drive kills Wii power

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mist8rio, Oct 15, 2009.

1. mist8rio
    OP

mist8rio Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm running a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 internal hdd in a LaCie external case and after 20mins or so of play time it completely kills the power on the Wii. Always happens at around the same time length. The power light on the Wii is off (not even red as in standby) and won't power back on until I unplug it (Wii) and plug it back in. The case has its own power adapter. Is this some type of hard drive compatibility problem?

2. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 19, 2008
    United States
    Sandy, UT
    Have you tested it without the HDD being in there as well?

3. CheatingSoi

CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Hey I have a LaCie jump drive shaped like a key! Other than that interesting tidbit, I have no idea about your problem, probably just an incompatibility with the harddrive. Maybe if you delete the programs that came with the HD (if they are still there) Its probably an auto shutdown feature but for some reason its messing with your wii.

4. mist8rio
    OP

mist8rio Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    On the PC? Used to be a computer hard drive in good working order. Don't have another case to try on the Wii though. I completely reformatted it in windows and then on WBFS. Unlikely any programs are still there.

5. CheatingSoi

CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Then its probably just incompatible because of an auto-sleep

6. BBking83

BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2008
    Australia
    I have never heard of a formatted HDD having auto-sleep...

Like someone has already suggested, have you tried playing it without the HDD? I doubt it's the HDD, especially if it has it's own power.