Good, Fast Emulator Frontend for Laptop

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by DjoeN, Aug 23, 2019.

1. DjoeN
    OP

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Looking for a good descent and fast emulator frontend for my laptop (that will connect to my TV)

So i'm thinking about dedicating a spare old laptop (It has a GeForce ???? in it as secondary GFX) to play some emulators on TV
    (Dosbox/ScummVM/msx(2(+))/nes/snes/gb(c)/gba/md/sms/gg/Amiga/Lynx/2600/5200/7800/NGP(C)/PokemonMini/CPS1/2/NEOGEO)
    Still thinking about older MAME set (0.139U1)

(It will be most used for DosBox/ScummVM/Nintendo games, Have to check out how good the Laptop is to play PS1/PSP/N64 games)
    Also i like to have my dedicated emulators, so NO Retroarch ill be used (standalone retroarch cores are an option)

So need a descent Frontend with covers that is simple in use for my kids and myself and simple to setup
    A Frontend that is till being updated would be preffered
    NO retroarch ;)

Thanks ;)

2. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Launchbox?

3. DjoeN
    OP

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Seems pretty nice even if you only gonna use the free version.
    Working on setting it up

Got an old Medion laptop from my kids i use and upgraded it with some spare parts i had around

Motherboard: Intel HM55 (IbexPeak-M DH) (3xUSB2 and 1xUSB3)(1xHDMI)
    CPU: Intel Core i3-390M - 2.67Ghz (Codename: Arrandale SV)
    GPU-1: Intel Ironlake Integrated
    GPU-2: Nvidea GT540M
    Memory: 2x Patriot - 4GB (1x PC3-1333 / 1x PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM SO-DIMM)
    HDD-1: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB (Sata 6Gb/s)
    External USB 3.0: Toshiba 750GB Sata 3GB/s HDD (sits in an external USB3 SATA Case)

Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard
    Logitech M210 Wireless Mouse

Connected to my Samsung 4K TV over HDMI

So still have to find out how good it is for PS1/PSP/N64, doubt it will run GC/Dreamcast
    But i would be pretty pleased it it runs N64/PS1 at a decent speed, i will not be disappointed if not
    The main goal is SNES/GBA/GB(C)/NES/MD/SMS/GG/PCE/NGP(C)/Atari 2600/7800/Lynx/DosBox/Amiga (FS-UAE) (and a few other i might forget (Pokemon Mini etc...))

Last edited by DjoeN, Aug 25, 2019
    KiiWii likes this.
  4. megahog2012

megahog2012 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2012
    United States
    Honestly, test out emulators first then setup the Front-end. There are multiple emulators for consoles due to multiple purposes like people prefer accuracy towards official hsrdware and effects and some prefer better speeds.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    PS1 and N64 will run just fine with those specs, they're not really that hard to run these days so you should have no problems with stuff like that.

A good amount of PSP games should run just fine with those specs, too, so long as you run everything at native res and such.

Dreamcast should also perform pretty ok with redream, I've had pretty good experience on a C2D with a slightly higher clock speed than yours so should be no problem I would think.

Dolphin would probably run most of the easier GC and Wii games to run (stuff like NSMB, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion etc etc) but definitely not anything fancy.

DjoeN likes this.
  6. DjoeN
    OP

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Indeed, PSP/N64/PS1 runs fine on it, so after setting the whole thing up when i have time i'll try DC - GC/Wii i don't feel the need to emulate on PC since i still have a Wii connected to my TV

7. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    Last edited by MythicalData, Aug 25, 2019