Good 802.11ac router?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by endoverend, Jun 30, 2014.

1. endoverend
    OP

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Hey, I'm looking for a router that supports 802.11ac and ranges from 100-150$.
    I recently got upgraded to 100mbps and 802.11n isn't cutting it. Anyone have a good setup? I might extend the price to 200 if it's absolutely necessary. Thanks.

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    The best 2 AC routers I know of are the Asus AC68U and Netgear R7000 Nighthawk, at least for now. AC rev2 is coming soon which will change the whole game.

That said, I doubt AC will provide any better performance than N. MIMO is available on both to increase signal strength (usually between 3x3 or 4x4 configuration), but 100Mbps doesn't even saturate the standard 300Mbps bandwidth of WiFi N, not to mention that you can get 450Mbps and 600Mbps variations.

Another option if WiFi is failing due to signal strength is PowerLine/HomePlug adaptors. That and/or range extenders.

3. Ulieq

Ulieq GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2014
    United States
    Los Angeles, California
    I'm still on 3mbps. USA FTW.

4. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I bought the asus rt-ac68u a while ago, supposedly the best wifi router ever (according to reviews).
    It's good stuff, but the signal is a bit weak at my place for some reason. Probably interference from other networks and things in my home.
    For example when I'm in my bedroom the 5GHz signal is low, the 2.4 GHz one is average.
    I don't notice huge differences between the .ac and .n (my laptop has a .ac compatible wifi network adapter) in fact I'm usually on the 2.4 Ghz one.
    I kinda regret my purchase because I feel I could've got the same result with a $15 wifi router.

5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Keep in mind that whilst 5Ghz is is not affected by radio interference, it has less penetration than 2.4Ghz so is less effective at distance. Also, the faster speeds of AC depend on 5Ghz.

In my own house, I get good reception everywhere except the living room, which happens to have the boiler tank between the room and the router position. My router is the AC68U too, which has custom firmware to let me tweak the strength of the antenna to compensate for the dead zone.

6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Do either of these routers support open firmware, like Tomato or DD-WRT? If so, I'm all ears. :D

7. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Yes and yes. The Netgear has WRT, whilst the Asus open firmware is based on the original firmware (but I forget the name, even though I'm running it).

8. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    OpenWRT?

The reason I ask about the Netgear, is because I'm currently using my DD-WRT compatible WRT54G router to "catch and repeat" my neighbor's Wi-Fi signal with permission, and feed it to my desktop via Ethernet. It works amazingly well too, no lag in games, and she lives 2 doors down from me. I need to use this feature in whatever future router I buy, and I know DD-WRT inside and out, so it's easy for me to configure and setup for my non-standard needs.

9. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK