OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

Sasktel ( A network where I live in ) just got 3Gs network (Before we had CDMA)! So the phones they offer aren't that great so I was wondering can I buy a GSM unlocked and just put a SIM card in and it'll work?

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3G data networking is available on both GSM and CDMA networks; Judging by the Wikipedia page for Sasktel - and the general idea of how much of a pain in the ass an entire network overhaul would have been - it's still a CDMA network, so no, you can't just buy a GSM phone.

Keeley

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

I have found some new information, Sasktel will be running a HSPA+ Network. All the phones they offer are have a 800 MHz frequency, but something like the iPhone 4 has compatibility for "HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100". So do you think the iPhone would work under this network?

FireEmblemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. GSM phones and CDMA networks are not compatible, and just because something has a similar frequency range does not mean it will work on a frequency it's not designed to work on.

Keeley

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry if this is bothering you ( I sense your a little mad
ohnoes.png
, can't tell with just text ) but I'm pretty sure we have a 3G GSM network, through this source. ( BTW Telus, Bell, and Sasktel share the same towers ) though this article is quite old. Popular cities have this network now, just the rural areas don't have it.

FireEmblemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, after looking into it a bit more I see I've been looking at it the wrong way. As long as you select a 3G plan from them over the standard CDMA they're offering, yes, you should be able to use an unlocked phone, as long as it uses the proper cellular frequencies. I'd assume, however, that the 3G+ plans will either charge more per month or force you to have a data plan as that seems to be the reason for the network upgrade. Check with a dealer just to be sure, if you're really interested.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1