Getting inside admin account w.o pass?

Kingwad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Doesn't sound like you're up to any good here. I wonder what the purpose of a password protected admin account is...

Oh yeah, to keep people like you out of it!

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IIRC there was a ntfs4dos password reset disk for XP, not sure if it would work anywhere else though (and you aren't mentioning which OS you are using either).

edit:/ and yeah, despite Kingwad's assumptions there are indeed legit uses for it - like wanting to gain control over a used PC that was given to you without having to reinstall XP when you don't have the OEM disks and all that is provided is an OEM license code which does not work with standard install disks.

Kingwad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Not to mention he said "no burning." None of the many many password reset disks will do here. If you want to become admin, and you don't have an admin password, you'll need to alter the user registry directly. This cannot be done from with the OS by design. You will need to work from without the OS, which means running off a liveCD. There are several boot-CDs that automate password resets, but without the ability to burn them, you may be out of luck.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1st thing you should do is post what operating system you are talking about.

For windows XP there's an iso you can download that'll let you see every password on the local system. So you go to your log on screen and press ctrl+alt+del twice and log in as admin the the password you get with the program.

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
You said no burning, however do you have a usb flash drive? As kingwad said about the livecd, there are also versions of linux that dont need to be burnt, just be stored on a usb flash drive. Google Damn Small Linux.

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
Ha, I'd be careful what you do. I got myself suspended from school for a week for changing the local administrator password.
tongue.gif

I'd say best bet is to boot from a flash drive. Google 'NT Password Reset'. My friend sent me a link to a program that could retrieve the password without erasing it, but I'll have to ask him, I can't find it.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
Ha, I'd be careful what you do. I got myself suspended from school for a week for changing the local administrator password.
tongue.gif

I'd say best bet is to boot from a flash drive. Google 'NT Password Reset'. My friend sent me a link to a program that could retrieve the password without erasing it, but I'll have to ask him, I can't find it.

If he is booting from a computer (probably a school) their may be a password on the BIOS. Some computers have the floppy as 1st boot in case something goes wrong so he could use a boot floppy that searchs CD drives,USB drives,etc and then boot from USB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol