Geek Squad Disc

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Thanatos Telos, Mar 10, 2013.

Mar 10, 2013

Geek Squad Disc by Thanatos Telos at 12:47 AM (351 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Thanatos Telos
    OP

Member Thanatos Telos random stuff

United States
    Okay, I took my laptop to Best Buy because the HDD failed. They fixed it, no problems there. But they DID leave one of their disks, 'confidential' software and all. The agreement on the disk says that I have to return it if I'm not one of their employees, but I have a feeling that some poor schmuck is going to be fired if I do that. So, GBATemp, what should I do?

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I doubt he will get fired, if you want to return the mri make a copy of it as there are some pretty good tools on it but the cd has an expiration date (there are dumps online that are re-skinned and have the expiration date cracked if you want that instead) or just keep it
    its really no big deal

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  3. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Obtain the 3DS private key from it.

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  4. SuzieJoeBob

Member SuzieJoeBob NOT a New Member

United States
    I would make a copy of it and give the Best Buy store the original. This will allow you to do everything yourself, instead of being at the mercy of Geek Squad. Also, test and see if you can use the tools as-is. If there are restrictions such as password windows, or expiration dates like Joe88 mentioned, download a crack to remove it. I doubt there are password windows (come on, we are talking Best Buy here!!!), but its possible, and the crack would likely cover that as well.

5. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I wouldn't worry too much about the disk they forgot. They probably have 20 of them laying around.

What I would be worried about is what sort of spyware they might have installed. Best Buy has had a few incidents where employee's where caught installing camera monitoring software, copying private (nude) photo's and in general just doing things that are pretty big privacy no no's.

That being said those are probably isolated incidents but I would run a scan for spyware and also just poke around in the start up processes to see what could have been added.