GCV, LCV, and CSV files

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by joesteve1914, Feb 9, 2014.

1. joesteve1914
    OP

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    Does anyone know what these files are or how to open them? I've looked all over the internet for them, but the only one I could find is CSV, which it said was a spreadsheet format, so I'm guessing that's a different file.
    Also, the game is Tingle's Love Balloon Trip.

2. Gryphon93

Gryphon93 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 30, 2008
    There are most likely no tools for those particular file formats, as no one has been interested or found any value in modifying them. The standard procedure is to start studying the files in a hex editor and try to find out how the files are formatted. Most file formats have some kind of header and then some data. A lot of formats (but certainly not all of them) have a signature, which is indicated by the first few bytes in the file.

If you really want to modify the files you mentioned, your best bet is probably to try poking around inside them yourself. It's not the easiest thing to do, but if you have some kind of programming and/or hacking experience, you're better of than if you have no experience at all. You might find some kind soul that will help you understand how the files are formatted, but don't expect that.

I might sound a bit negative, but that's not my intention. I'm just trying to tell you that most of the time there are no tools for viewing or (even more unlikely) modifying all the formats one finds in a game. Most of the time you have to figure it out yourself and maybe make a tool for that particular file format (if you need it).