Antarctica

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im in the uk and may be interested. How much you looking to get for it?
Let us know if you do
smile.gif

If it would sell I would but the market seems to be devoid of all Retro lovers now...

If you live in the U.K then I would be happy to sell it to you. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want one?

How much would you pay for it? I am in Scotland specifically btw.

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you get the emerger to work Dirtie? I seem to remember having to buy a power supply for mine before it would work as well. I also checked my parallel port settings and I'm using EPP, but I'm also still running Win98, I haven't tried it on XP. What version of the software do you have? It looks like I'm running v1.13.

Dirtie

:'D
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The software version from the disk was 3.01.

Well I managed to get it powered and everything, plugged the cable in and software detected it just fine. However after I select a rom and tell it to write to the cart, something strange happens.

It'll say it needs to erase it first of course, so I click ok, the progress bar appears in the software, and the LCD on the device says it's erasing - after a little while the device goes back into ready mode (presumably because it has finished erasing), however the progress bar in the software keeps going up. If I leave it to reach the end, all I get is a timeout error. It's as if the PC can communicate with the device, but the device can't tell the PC that it's done.

I've tried all the possible settings for my LPT1 port in the BIOS (ECP, EPP, ECP+EPP, bi-directional), but they all do the same thing (apart from bi-directional which doesn't work at all). I've tried an older software version - exactly the same.
I even installed Windows 95 using Virtual PC - and I get the same result (I didn't even think it would detect it
tongue.gif
).

If I try to read data from the cart to my PC (even though it doesn't have anything on it), the LCD will say "reading" but the bar in the software just goes until it reaches the end and gives me a timeout message, just like when attempting to write.

I'm kinda at a loss here now. I don't have any spare printer cables of the correct type, and no other PCs with a parallel port.

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...I'll send you a pnote with a link of where you can dl the 1.13 version of the software, not that it will help but it's worth a try. Other than that, it could the cable. True parallel spec is bi-directional but a lot of the cheaper printer cables that you buy are uni directional only. In your bios do you also have an IRQ mapped to the parallel port? I.e. mine is set to IRQ 7 which is the default for lpt1 I believe. If I get ambitious this weekend I may try and see if I can get it to work on one of my other XP computers, but that involves crawling under the desk and the forest of cables and cords
blink.gif

Dirtie

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yep, mine has an IRQ setting of 7 as well - which I also tried changing (as well as DMA). I also tried all the interrupt options in Window's device properties - same result every time.

Right now I'm about to change it to EPP mode and try Windows 98/ME compatibility mode on the software
tongue.gif

Edit: No luck there, nor with the version of the software you linked me to.
I think I can safely say it's not a software problem, so that just leaves the hardware - the actual physical port, the cable, or the writer/card.

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried mine on one of my WinXP systems and it worked fine there as well. So I don't think XP is the issue either. What type of cable are you using? Here's an example of what you need, it's a bi-directional parallel DB25 M to DB25 F cable. They used to use these cables to connect a computer to a printer sharing box:

http://www.computercablestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=329

Dirtie

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well the cable came with the thing, so it's obviously the right type (externally anyway) - I went out and looked for another cable today regardless, but could only find the ones with 36 pin connector at one end for printers. I'll keep looking for the one I need though, and I hopefully have a new PC coming sometime in Jan, so if my PC is the problem, I'll be able to find out.

Plugging it straight onto the port is out of the question by the way, there's too much stuff in the way
tongue.gif

D

Deleted User

I suppose you don't have any real GB/GBC cart handy?! Because if the cart or the writer is the problem you could figure it out that way too. It's really easy to backup a retail cart -- 3 buttons after turning the E-Merger on and you're done and enjoying your homemade backup.

Dirtie

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well it's working now, thanks to my new pc
happy.gif

I am having an issue with Link's Awakening though. When I save then get back into the game without turning off my SP, it works fine. However, if I save, turn it off, turn it back on and load it up again, my save will be there and will load fine - but Link is invisible, and no matter where I go or what I do or how many times I save it, he'll still be invisible
frown.gif

I'm using the 1.2 version, so I think I might have a go at one of the others.

Edit: Well that's interesting, the 1.1 version works absolutely fine - maybe the invisible Link was included as some sort of "copy protection" in the newer version?

Edit 2: Err, seems I was mistaken - it worked once, then next time I tried same result :/
Maybe version 1.0 will work
tongue.gif

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to hear you've got it working better than before. I just tried Link's Awakening on mine and it appears to be working fine. I saved, shut off my SP and restored a couple of times and Link was still visible. I'm using v 1.5 of the software, that I got from here: http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/E-Merger I'm also using v1.1 of Link's awakening.

If you right click on the game in your e-merger client and choose index view/modify you will get a list of the settings for the game. Here's what mine are set to:

Cartridge type: ROM+MBC5+RAM+BATTERY
ROM size: 8 Mbit
RAM size: 256Kbit
Super Game Boy
Color GB
Non-Japenese
MBC5

Dirtie

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yup, mine says the same thing - I might give the older software a go.

Anyone got a link for the 2.01 version of the software? I had it at one stage, but it seems to have gone missing.

Edit: Just tried the 1.15 version, and it seems to be working perfectly (it took a whole lot longer to write though
tongue.gif
). Seems the 3.01 version might be a tad buggy.

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good deal! Yeah, read and write speed on this thing is very slow. I've also had some issues with saves overwriting each other, it's probably when I exceed the total ram space on the card (not sure how much it has). So backup your saves frequently if you have several games on the card. You have to use profressional mode to back them up and it's not very intuitive but the manual has step by step instructions on how to do it.

Dirtie

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I only intend to keep 1 or 2 on there at a time anyway.

I think the 2.01 software was on the consolesource.com page where I bought it from ( http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog...nit-p-2485.html ), however it seems that it doesn't exist anymore :/

Edit: Oh man, he's invisible yet again :/ So it seems it's not the software after all - I'll try 1.13 just in case (anyone have a link? the one in your PM doesn't work anymore larvi). It only seems to happen if my GBA is left off for more than a few minutes.

Edit 2: It just gets weirder and weirder - I tried it in my other SP and the save is either corrupted or just disappears every time. The strangest part is when I first put it in, it went to the E-card menu like normal. However after turning it off and on it'll boot straight into Zelda (with my save gone). And now I put it back into my other SP and no menu either.
The last explanation I can come up with is that the battery needs replacing, or I have a faulty cart/copier.

D

Deleted User

There are definitely some strange things happening over here too. First of all, I've been trying to reproduce your errors since yesterday, but I couldn't. Link was at no time invisible and bypassing the menu only works if I quickly turn my GBC back on after powering it off. It won't work on my GBAs.

---
software: v3.01
rom: Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening DX (U) (V1.2) [C][!]
hardware: GBA SP (E), GBA SP (J), GBC (E)
---

After succesfully flashing the cart, I named my character 'DDD', then saved and turned off the GBC after playing a bit. When turning it back on the save was still there and working, but as soon as I took the cart out of the GBC and put it back in, the character was named 'DDA'. This was happening every time I created a save named 'DDD' when taking out the cart for the first time (doing it more than once had no effect, though).
After I put the cart in my GBA SP (E), the save was gone (this happened only once). The other times I tried the save was working fine, no matter what gameboy I used, where I saved or which slot I chose.

Today I turned on my GBC to see if the save was still there, but it was gone. I created a new save with the name 'ZELDA' (just because I like the alternative music). After that, I took the cart out of the GBC, waited a minute or so and put it back in. Then, after turning it on again, there were two saves. The one I created and another one in slot 3 with all 14 hearts, an unreadable name and 230 deaths. The save worked and, surprisingly, I started at the beginning of the game (lying in bed) with 88 rupees and 14 hearts already there. When leaving the house, that strange dog, on the screen to the left, was already gone and shortly after picking up my sword at the beach, I realized that I somehow managed to get 999 rupees. After saving for the first time, the hearts were gone, second time, they were there again ...
huh.gif

Long story short, I erased the whole cart using only the E-Merger itself and now it seems to work. Interestingly, the writing time for the first flashing process after doing so, went up from about 42 seconds to 273 seconds.

Dirtie

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well, I'm not getting my hopes up too much considering what happened before, but I replaced the battery and all seems to be fine and dandy. Guess the one that came with it was a little low, so it was corrupting my saves somehow (funny how everything seemed to be saved fine apart from the fact Link was invisible). Ahh the days of non-rechargeable battery-backed save
tongue.gif

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put the setupV113.rar back out there if you still need it Dirtie, but it sounds like the battery may have been the issue. It's probably been sitting in the cart since for 5 years or so, even if it hasn't been used I'm not surprised it needed replacing. Luckily it's pretty easy to do, unlike in some of the older flash carts.

You may want to email console source and ask them if they still have a link to the software, I would be interested in a newer version as well if there is one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/f8gq43e