GBAtemp's official DSTT review

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Excellent review, Opium! Great work, as always! The GBAtemp reviews are the best!
This card looks quite good indeed, especially if compatibility is really 100% (seems like the contra issue can be solved somehow?)
Anyway.. thanks a lot Opium. Very interesting read.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
dealextreme delayed shipping of this as there was a mix up of rumble pak colours, i ordered about 2 weeks ago and they will try and ship this week.
frown.gif

Giangsta

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah i got an email about the delay, thanks for clearing that up for me.

btw my status just changed to packaged so im assuming they should be shipped on friday or monday at the latest

pgfreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
About the spring loaded mini SD slot...

so what happens if the spring does break? Will it make it so you cant load the cards anymore?

pgfreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Not all the latest cards have it. It is certainly a big pro for the card. As you can probably tell I was mainly an EZ-V user before the DSTT so the difference was quite big.
Yes, I agree - to certain extent. But it's not mentioned as pro in ANY other flashcard review; my flashcard history isn't really big, but it isn't really small either (GBA Movie Player (you know, that special rare firmware made by Chishm
wink.gif
) -> SuperCard miniSD -> M3 Lite Perfect -> R4 DS -> CycloDS Evolution) and they ALL boasted this feature, but hardly anyone mentioned it. I think it's should be marked as a con in other reviews, not as a pro in this one (since it makes it sound like it's the only card with this ability). To me, it also gives the impression of unnecessary text, just used to make the review longer (note, I'm not saying that's the truth, nor do I think so). Anyway, this is just my opinion. No hard feelings.
wink.gif

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not all the latest cards have it. It is certainly a big pro for the card. As you can probably tell I was mainly an EZ-V user before the DSTT so the difference was quite big.

Yes, I agree - to certain extent. But it's not mentioned as pro in ANY other flashcard review; my flashcard history isn't really big, but it isn't really small either (GBA Movie Player (you know, that special rare firmware made by Chishm
wink.gif
) -> SuperCard miniSD -> M3 Lite Perfect -> R4 DS -> CycloDS Evolution) and they ALL boasted this feature, but hardly anyone mentioned it. I think it's should be marked as a con in other reviews, not as a pro in this one (since it makes it sound like it's the only card with this ability). To me, it also gives the impression of unnecessary text, just used to make the review longer (note, I'm not saying that's the truth, nor do I think so). Anyway, this is just my opinion. No hard feelings.
wink.gif
A review is by an individual, with opinions included. If the reviewer feels strongly about a certain feature they will write more about it. For example, I care very much about the presentation of the product, ie. how much 'polish' there is, all the little touches that make a smooth user experience. Many people don't care for these efforts, and have a 'well it works, and that's good enough for me' attitude, so will not qrite about them at all, or will mention them less.
I believe that reviews should have opinions and differences in them, as reviewers get to test quite a lot of kit, and can therefore compare them easily and will have a good knowledge of how certain aspects of the kits differ.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
If one game out of the entire library of DS game doesn't work, then the cart has about 99.9466% combatibility, (assuming there are 1874 dumped games out there), not 99.99%.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Quite possibly one of the best features of the DSTT is that it does not have any sort of battery for retaining saves what-so-ever. When you save a game in-game the save is automatically written to the MicroSD card then and there, rather than be temporarily stored to an onboard chip to be written to the MicroSD next time you boot up the DSTT. This cuts out the middleman so to speak and speeds things up considerably. On the EZ-Flash V you would have to wait some time before each game loaded for the last save to written to your MicroSD and the new game’s save to be retrieved from the MicroSD and written to the onboard chip. Not having these load times made a night and day difference.
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but why the hell is this praised so much?
Even the SLOT-2 SuperCard and M3 Professional had this feature. Not to mention N-Card, R4, M3 Real and G6 Real (OK, not 100% sure about those two), CycloDS, DSLink, eWin2 and so forth. This is a very standard feature, so why did you list it on the 'pros' of this card?

Because when the battery dies in the card, you would no longer be able to save anymore since it would try to save to a dead battery (which if not dead, would then save to the sd card upon reboot). So this is a big deal actually.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Does the TopToy suffer from slowdown while playing Tony Hawks Downhill Jam? I've heard it runs Portrait Of Ruin better than the R4 on slower cards so it made me wonder about THDJ.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: