gba to .nds converter?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by holeymad111, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holeymad111
    OP

holeymad111 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 1, 2010
    Sorry if there are any confusions with the heading of this post and sorry if this has been brought up before.

i was thinking... i know you can play gba games on an iplayer flash cart because of inbuilt ram or something. and that you cant play it on any others because gba mode uses a different technique* to load games onto the system.

so instead of making anemulator for a flashcart to play gba games. why doesnt someone make a program to patch .gba roms to .nds roms.

somehow converting them to:

a. show the gba game on the bottom screen and just leave the top screen blank.

b. make the touhscreen unusable (obviously)

c. make the x and y buttons do nothing.

surely that would be easier than making an emulator that probably wont work anyway...

what are youre thoughts.

* for loss of a better word

2. DCG

DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    Schiedam
    the coding of a gba game is mutch different than a nds game, the ds actualy uses a different prosessor for gba games and sounds. so you cant change the game form one coding to another, the thing you could try is rebuilding it in a homebrew version for the ds.

3. Demonbart

Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Lazytown, yarr
    Well I once had a topic asking the same thing, but what I learned from that is that every GBA game is coded in a different way, so it's impossible to make a universal patch that works for all games, you'd have to manually edit the games one by one.

4. BoxShot

BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Middle of the ocean.
    It doesn't work that way. I don't even think the structure between these two systems are the same as well.

5. Demonbart

Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Lazytown, yarr
    Well I guess you do have a point there, thing is, I was only reciting from what I know (which is admittedly not much at all) and of course there are other obstacles as well.

6. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    The only thing I ever wonder when looking at these threads is just how many people think that they are the only one to have thought of the idea...I think this proves that we are all egotist on the inside because obviously even with the large number of people that there are, we are definitely the first ones to have ever thought of it xD.

7. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

Sep 3, 2007
    is it really that hard to convert it?
    my brother have been using a program to convert gbc/gba games to java files and been able to play them on his phone

8. DCG

DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    Schiedam
    which type of phone does he use? iphone or another kind of smart phone?

9. Kwartel

Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Apr 11, 2009
    Netherlands
    you mean GB 'cause GBA on phone would be to hard. And GB/GBC is playable on ds-flashcard

10. DCG

DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    Schiedam
    with a emulator

11. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Crimzon: Are you sure that's not just a packager program to stick the ROM in a premade emulator? I've run across a lot of those looking up emulators for older systems.

Regardless, that's a different platform.

12. Frogman

Frogman This could be you!

Sep 20, 2009
    Aus
    I can play gba games on my iPod touch [​IMG] sounds laggy

13. zuron7

zuron7 RBYG

Apr 6, 2009
    India
    GPS not available in this area
    Not possible since the GBA uses a different processor and when something is played through the DS slot it goes to the processor that processes DS games.

So the only way to play GBA games is by using an emulator or running it through the GBA slot using the expansion pack.

Hope this answers your question.

14. KirovAir

KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Dec 7, 2006
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    Not possible, not even remotely possible when you look at the fact how the GBA processor handles games, and the NDS processor handles games. (The architecture is different etc.) You would have to emulate it, but the DS lacks the power for the job. (As said over 9000 times before)

15. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    Christ on a jetski, not this thread again.

Someone posts this idea every week and have done for about the last five years. The answer is the same as it was for all of those threads, no. Not now, not ever. So either buy a slot-2 card or a slot-1 card with built in GBA support.

16. WildWon

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    To OP, it's not possible. Otherwise, it would have been done. Probably years ago [​IMG]

*locked*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.