GBA SP vertical line

ddloox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Any idea why this happens and if there's any chance of rescuing this display...?
Inspected the ribbon and everything else I could see and it all looks OK. The display connector is also fine...

20220820_100409.jpg

22-57-2.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Visually ribbons can appear fine but be anything but, vertical lines across the screen being an example of that. Does it go away with pressure on the joints (don't know if you can get there as it might be behind a shell) or maybe worsen with a bit of tugging?
I don't think this would be the result of a capacitor or anything going bad as that usually looks different.

If it is a ribbon going to the screen then the might be an option to reflow it if you can get to it (haven't looked inside a SP screen to know if you would have to pry off a metal shell first). Most would replace the screen though, whether you go the path of upgrading to a 101 screen (don't think there are drop in options at this point so you might need some extras and minor soldering) or see if someone that did go for the 101 option has an old screen to sell, or maybe just someone breaking devices up for parts, is up to you but I should note the possibilities and potential downsides.

ddloox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I did try putting pressure on the joints, I tried to reflow the ribbon connection - nothing worked.
Replacing the whole screen doesn't make sense I guess as the screen alone is rather expensive...
I guess I'll use this SP for parts then...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up