Hacking GBA Emulator Speed?

Gavin Barrows

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have an old PSP 3000 sitting about and recently got a SNES emu on it. It was SNES 9x TYL memcm or whatever, the newest version with memory speed up or some shit. Things were really slow though and it really just sucked dick over all. Many games wouldn't run at normal speeds even with frameskip on auto and things like that. So I want to play FF6 via the GBA version. Does it run well? Full speed at all? Just wondering cause I really need to play through that game again.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Most snes games need some tinkering to get running at full or acceptable speeds, but its usually possible.
PSP accel. + approx. soft. and PSP accel. + accur. soft. usually get it done, also vsynv off, frameskip auto 1 and limit frames to 60fps work for most games, but sadly not for the cool ones that had extra chips (kirby, yoshis island...) or those that heavily use mode 7 (mario kart, some FF)

FF6 on gba (uo gpsp kai) works but only using frameskip. it'll run at 45 or so fps, but it will look mostly normal, its not that big a deal in rpgs after all. some slowdowns in places with many npcs (mogs protecting terra for example), some attack animations (mass heal i think, though i believe that caused some slowdown even on original hardware) and I only played it until you reach sabins mountain, dont know if having a full party affects frames in battle.

having said that, you might want to look into the ps1 port of the game. it should run at full speed, but with annoying loading times when entering towns/battles/using skills. i never tried it and i'm not sure if loading times were only due to the game being on a disk, or if they were hardcoded into the game.

in general, you have to understand that the psp really isnt that powerful and final fantasy 6 is among the games that took everything the gba had to offer back in the day. it running as well as it does is kind of surprising tbh.

Reactions: Count Duckula
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Please ensure you have written a superior emulator before saying the hard work by the authors of SNES9x TYL and GPSP 'sucks dick'. It sounds like you've at least taken the time to look into the 'some shit' setting and things like that in the 'whatever' emulator though, which is nice.

Reactions: TwistedZeon

Gavin Barrows

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's 2014 and they still haven't figured this out? I think they either don't know how to do it, or are lazy. We literally have the capability to emulate the PS3 on computers now, how can we not emulate something as simple as the SNES on a PSP without being slow as all hell, and barely working.

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's 2014 and they still haven't figured this out? I think they either don't know how to do it, or are lazy. We literally have the capability to emulate the PS3 on computers now, how can we not emulate something as simple as the SNES on a PSP without being slow as all hell, and barely working.

PSP is an older system, not only do systems get older but people as well and if someone does not feel up to or feel uninterested into developing a better emulator for the PSP than oh well. They're not obligated to improve the compatibility and just because we can emulate a PS3 on a PC that is ULTIMATELY Infinitely more powerful than a PSP, that does not mean we might get a updated perfect Snes emu for the PSP.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did master chief tell you directly
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I sent them SARS blankets as revenge, lol
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    @BigOnYa gimme change for a $20 pls. :):evil:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can have his Sars blanket because he cares about you
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't but he does
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Here's some chicken noodle soup and sprite, you will be fine.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sucks my new tv does not fit my old tv wall mount, so gotta take down and buy a new mount, bummer, more holes in the wall.
    +1
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    no...
    yesssssssssssssssssssssss
    bj bj bj bj bj bj
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just duct tape the TV to the wall ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Weird cause its same size as old one, just a 4k upgrade, oh well, always something.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Unlike @AncientBoi some holes are tighter than the others
    +2
    Try putting it up after a couple of :grog::grog::grog::grog::grog::grog::grog: But only a couple :D
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Was gonna, already cracked open a cold one, but gonna have to wait now, and make a trip to Microcenter, or worst buy
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In speaking of miscares for tvs I must've busted like one hdmi port cause it's all static but others work fine lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a older tv that was like that, luckily it had 3 HDMI ins
    2 here
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But you only like to use the rear one, right
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think if I rebend the metal it'll be fine because it tries to get a signal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @AncientBoi, only fits type c out
    +1
    HDMI 1 [main TV] is loose, HDMI 2 [goes to second TV] is good.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Look into a hdmi splitter
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/eL5odvh