Gateway & eshop titles

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Aglae Pheryl, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Aglae Pheryl GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    Howdy folks,

Recently a few eshop have been released (gba & nes titles mostly).

Some of them work quite fine with a Gateway and some others just end-up with a black screen.
    Is there any way to make the non working titles work ?

The nfo mentions : "You will have to get your Flashcard Devs to make these work".

What does this mean ? Is it a trivial process to 'patch' the gateway or is there a way to patch the .3ds itself ?

Thanks

2. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States

Well, Gateway/MT-Card/r4/etc. are flashcart developers. BiGBLUEBOX/VENOM/etc. are scene release groups. They are completely different entities with completely different tasks.

Scene groups just rip games and release them to "the scene." When this happens, the files they release trickle down to other methods of download (torrents, DDL, etc.).

Flashcart developers' ("devs") tasks are to make sure their equipment (i.e. the flashcarts they maintain) are able to run the games that scene groups leak/release.

So what that NFO excerpt means is that the game you're reading that NFO for is not confirmed to be working on flashcarts yet, and it's up to the team that maintains whatever flashcart you have to get that game working.

In other words, not all games "work" as soon as they're released for download. But in order to make them "work," it's not up to the group that leaked the game, it's up to the flashcart developers.

3. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    To put it another way, the nes titles will work now, the gba titles won't work unless/until gateway find a way to make them work.

4. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Aglae Pheryl GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    Thanks for the enlightening information. Will just have to wait until Gateway does some magic again.

5. fabiobad

fabiobad Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2010
    Italy
    hey guys, is there a motive for the lack of eshop titles in the dump scene?

comes to mind titles like FallBlox/Crashmo or Mighty Switch Force! that are pretty famous but no one have dumped yet, is for encrypting reason or just... no one have dumped yet :'D ?

6. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    Cause the method for dumping eshop titles is not public.
    So only a very limited number of scene groups know how to do it.

7. FrankVVV

FrankVVV Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2013
    Belgium
    There are already more than 900 Eshop games. I like the fact that they are concentrating on the good ones but I'm still waiting for Shovel Knight. Of course I wouldn't mind if they would be willing to dump them all :)

8. Zamzummin

Zamzummin Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2013
    Canada
    Someone has to buy the eShop game first, then rip it. Currently only eRips and BigBlueBox can do eShop rips as far as I know, and they only do the ones that interest them or have high demand.

9. fabiobad

fabiobad Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2010
    Italy
    Thank you for the answer :)
    There is any way for contact this two team?

10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    nope, and even if they had a nice public email address to get spammed with "release this and release that"......do you not think they know what games people want? they release what they want when they want

and for the record, erips most likely didn't actually do any ripping of eshop content, they just repacked bigbluebox's youtube .cia release into a .3ds file, then released a "list" of games they where "going" to release knowing that bigbluebox would beat them to it.....that's the closest anyone gets to making a scene group release something they actually want themselves

11. hippy dave

Apr 30, 2012
    Oh awesome, BBB released VVVVVV :)
    Also 3d shinobi 3.

Sciduck likes this.
  12. hippy dave

Apr 30, 2012
    Well, VVVVVV sure as shit kept me busy today. ~3 hours and ~1k deaths to finish the game, then up to ~6 hours and ~3k deaths to get all the f'kin shiny trinkets. Maybe I can sleep now?

13. Zamzummin

Zamzummin Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2013
    Canada
    What scene groups do is very illegal so they don't want to be found. There are some forums where scene members lurk, but they're hard to find.

Nice bro, that game is awesome. Try to get the trophies next.