Hacking Gateway 3DS - First 3DS flash card?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know, I will not buy this as it will not solve any problems I have with my 3Ds atm:
1) I live in Europe, I want Etrian Odyssey 4/SMT: Soul Hackers/SMT4/etc
2) I want emulators and other homebrew that can use all of the 3DS hardware

Oh and somebody should credit me for this flashcard, it was announced after I finally ordered a 3DS compatible flashcard, so obviously it came into being because of that. :P

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? Revenge? Dude, you're making it a bit too personal for no reason...

If you would've said this about a Sony console - I might agree, since they actually attacked us as consumers, both literally (planting rootkits on PCs and compromising your security without letting you know, for example) and verbally (stating that the PS3 is expensive because they want it to be something that people want to work hard to get).

But Nintendo? All they did was make a nice console, put some good protection in there and charged a reasonable amount of money for games. While I do think that 50€ is an exorbitant price for a game - I'd suggest that you either get it used, get it on eshop (I found most games retail games there to be ~35€ - ~45€) or pirate if you so desire.

I can tell you that while I think that games should be cheaper, I can also understand Nintendo's reasoning - there are, and always will be, less 3ds devices out there compared to iphones/android phones. In order to make it lucrative for devs, they charge more per item, as fewer will be sold due to the install base. In addition, I really don't think that there are many phone games that compare in scope to something like a AAA 3DS game such as Mario 3d, animal crossing, pokemon or fire emblem.

Oh, and btw, I haven't seen a new GTA sell for less than 60€ since GTA3 - a 15€ difference is a pretty big one.

All that being said - I'm probably going to get a flash card - I do believe that some games are worth the investment, but I can't know if I don't actually play them - I believe in "play, then pay", and not vice versa, unless prices are low enough for an impulse purchase (thanks steam and humble bundle :)).

Oh and speaking of impulse buys - come on! You can buy a console for over 150€ (if it's the old 3ds, as XL costs more) on a whim, but spending a third of that amount on a game that will give you many hours of enjoyment is something that you want to take revenge on? that's just weird.
Well, I thought that by buying a Nintendo 3DS, there would be like TONS of true little CHEAP games.~

I bought it, and all games here cost around 40€ and most of the most known are 50€.

I'm not willing to pay this crazy prices for little portable gaming.

For 25€ I can buy for example GT5 for PS3... BF3 PC for 16€ (brand new)...

And yeah, I'm bloody pissed, cause I paid 60€ for the RES Rev. and never even played it because I'm not going to buy any other games at those prices.

And even on ebay games are mostly EXPENSIVE (though it's more because of the shipping for the Island where I live).

There was even a game for like 10€ or something that is just throwing pappers into the garbage... That exact same game would probably be free or cost like 1€ on other portable devices... I understand for the console is more expensive, but would it really need to be like 1000% more expensive??? (Even by download there's bad prices too, and that has no excuse since there's no card, no manual....)

ps: And I'm not even talking about 3DS alone, but ALL PORTABLE CONSOLES like the Vita too... I guess this is the reason people buy less and less more the PORTABLE consoles and move for devices like smartphone and tablets. (my cousin for exemple wanted a PSP, and his mother bought a cool tablet for 100€ that has a good GPU already and he actually liked it more than the PSP it self, specially because he now have thousands of free good little fun games).

-------------------

Only 10$ ???? :unsure:
Heiiiihhh The master vlemos :grog:.

Well, if it would be 10$ that would be AWESOME.

But we are kinda screwed to buy the new 3DS CARD, since there's only a few resellers and none in PORTUGAL :(.

ps: For me, I will probably have to buy from ebay USA to madeira Island and would probably cost like 30$ instead of the good 10$ price :wink:. (But who cares B-) ).
Keep Cool

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well, I thought that by buying a Nintendo 3DS, there would be like TONS of true little CHEAP games.~

I bought it, and all games here cost around 40€ and most of the most known are 50€.

I'm not willing to pay this crazy prices for little portable gaming.
I know how you feel about the prices. But you have to admit, you made the assumption. They never did advertise that their games were going to come cheap. And hence, they are not at fault in that sense. So you aren't really taking "revenge" per se. Just sayin' LOL

Heiiiihhh The master vlemos :grog:.

Well, if it would be 10$ that would be AWESOME.

But we are kinda screwed to buy the new 3DS CARD, since there's only a few resellers and none in PORTUGAL :(.

ps: For me, I will probably have to buy from ebay USA to madeira Island and would probably cost like 30$ instead of the good 10$ price :wink:. (But who cares B-) ).
Keep Cool
We speculate that the thing won't only be $10. That is basically the deposit you pay to reserve your copy so to speak. That said, nothing is impossible but I won't hold my breath.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know how you feel about the prices. But you have to admit, you made the assumption. They never did advertise that their games were going to come cheap. And hence, they are not at fault in that sense. So you aren't really taking "revenge" per se. Just sayin' LOL

We speculate that the thing won't only be $10. That is basically the deposit you pay to reserve your copy so to speak. That said, nothing is impossible but I won't hold my breath.
Well, but this is the first portable console I bought (more because I wanted to see the 3D and none of the stores of my Island were showing it).

And I'm not lying, but I really had no clue there would only be like a dozen games in every store here and all cost like 35-50€ (only 1 or 2 are 30€ and they are really too simple, most are priced around 40€ and some are still simple 2D games even though they are cool).

And I thought there would also be tons of cheap games for download...

I waited almost a YEAR for the first demo to arrive at Nintendo online system on Portugal... (playing the demos was amazingly awesome, since I don't have Money to buy any game).

And then I tried putting like 10€ to buy a single simple game from Nintendo store, but it also doesn't accept my card (I'm screwed all the way with this console).

ps: Other thing is I have the second analog stick and I'm wating for the first FPS to arrive for almost 2 years (I wonder why Nintendo always stick only to super mario's and zelda's :(. They could also have the multiplataform games).
Keep Cool

whofan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
i'm not 100% sure, yet. i hope my probing can get me a definitive answer. it could be that either they got new people to finish the 1:1 splinter cell clone and make it load roms or they are a new team using the original crown 3ds research.

my suspicions right now is that its the same team, who finally got a working prototype, and have now used a new name to distance themselves from the crown 3ds fiasco.

i don't expect them to leave documentation on their web space, like real hot stuff did, which gave us a definitive answer that real hot stuff was the company behind ismartds. so i may never know for sure.

-another world

That's a good guess and you're probably right. I did some digging back when the Crown3DS was first announced and it seems to be the case that DigiWayz.com, a reseller listed on gateway-3ds.com, is actually operated by the same people who set up crown3ds.com. Here's a link to my post from Sep 17, 2011 with the whois data for crown3ds.com at the time: Crown3ds flashcard - Hacking your 3DS and playing 3DS games

Here's the whois data for digiwayz.com right now: http://who.is/whois/digiwayz.com
Notice the same email address: "[email protected]"
Unless I somehow planned the whole thing way back in September 2011, this is proof that the crown3ds people are at least closely affiliated with gateway-3ds.com and are quite possibly the same people under a different name.
Someone with paid access to domaintools.com historical records could explore this even further.

Just for fun, here's a screenshot from the google cache for crown3ds.com before the actual site was set up. Notice that they had the site content for multiple reseller sites hosted there.

masterz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also about the 3ds flash memory/card protocol being slower than sd class standards is _nuts_. The ds could do 6MB/s that's class 6(reads anyway) and that's _way_ above what consumer grade flash memory was at the time of the ds' launch. So why would they be going backwards? Yes all carts >64MB were limited to 4MB/s, but still there's no way in hell nintendo's going backwards. Flash memory only gets cheaper, it'd be dumb to tell developers. "Hey we want you to make your games be ~8-16x bigger than last generation and make them push the hardware, oh by the way the maximum xfer rate from the card is now halved." They wouldn't do that. Is it slower than uhs 1? Absolutely, no way in hell I can see them being uhs1 for all the flash memory, the costs would be way too high for them. Plus developers were going from 6MB/s maximum for small carts and 4MB/s for larger ones. All they have to do is use the same costs for flash memory and they'll be perfectly fine for the forseeable future.

The ds cards were setup with a max clock speed of 6.6mhz that gave ~6MB/s max xfer speed. 3ds is 16.6Mhz. Even with the further encryption and other such _fun_ that nintendo's done to them. I _do not_ see them being slower than the previous generation. With the overhead of decrypting the contents of the ROM after it is sent over the bus, it should be ~10MB/s and that's at _worst_ case. Now then why am I saying 10MB/s? It's because the SD association has a standard that has that and thus flash memory vendors are already binning the memory into that speed, so if nintendo's smart they'd just use that flash memory. Or even if it's custom vendor yada yada yada, that's still ~16MB/s max xfer if we take 1Mhz == 1MB/s, so no, I don't see the cards being slower than memory cards. UHS-1? Yes. Class 10? I seriously doubt that.

janii

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I really had to register here seeing some people think nintendo could force your DS/3DS to brick...
Holy sweet jesus what a funny statement.
Let me put it short:
They CAN NOT FORCE you to brick your console just because they like to.
They CAN release a new update which fixes some security shit and block cards - Then again, ITS NOT FORCED. You DONT have to upgrade. But mostly it only renders the hack/exploit to be unusable and the console being pretty much in its "original" state.
They CAN ban you from their online service. This is absolutely something different from bricking your console.
Bricking a console happens ONLY from updates and these are not FORCED upon you (or maybe crashes from homebrew apps which writes some things into your console).
Common knowledge damn.

masterz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if this will lower battery life like the carts for ds did.
The ds2 doesn't drain my battery _at all_. Comparing leaving it on with a game at maximum brightness(the battery timer program but still) and just on the homescreen of an actual game. It lasts the same amount of time. 4hrs exactly. This is my dsi, so who knows maybe the ds lite causes its battery to be a bit less, but I haven't noticed _any_ power drain at all with it more than just playing it itself. Now then using an emulator, having the clock speed at maximum _does_ cause it to die quicker but not that much compared to the official games.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of fakes I've seen don't use 3D at all.
The "fakes" i'm assuming you saw were simply normal DS flashcards (you can tell because there are always black bars on the sides whenever it's not in 3DS mode). They couldn't play 3DS games at all. This one functions in 3DS mode and apparently boots actual 3DS games, if it's able to boot an actual 3DS game then it's fair to assume that it allows the user to use 3D.

Reactions: Rydian

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The "fakes" i'm assuming you saw were simply normal DS flashcards (you can tell because there are always black bars on the sides whenever it's not in 3DS mode). They couldn't play 3DS games at all. This one functions in 3DS mode and apparently boots actual 3DS games, if it's able to boot an actual 3DS game then it's fair to assume that it allows the user to use 3D.

Yep, that's what I can collect (and I know about the black bars/original DS aspect ratio).
I'm thinking this could be worth carrying 5 Micro SDs. They're smaller than 3DS cards :P

Maxkhoon

Trophies
XP
Country
Palau
in some extent I really hope this isnt real..I paid for my ACNL already and feel worthy

poor developers............but then........
another evil me is doing victory dance...............

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
in some extent I really hope this isnt real..I paid for my ACNL already and feel worthy

poor developers............but then........
another evil me is doing victory dance...............
in truth they are poor cause they dont even receive any money from the huge sum of money gathered from the sales of games ,how do you think companies earn so much money if not from their huge profit on poor devs that work all day and receive a little ,no in reality piracy may affect the huge sum of profit devs as always will receive the same amount.shovelware comes through the idea of lets make some quick money on poor ports of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol