Gamestop's Refurbished Majora's Mask 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Robert McCoy, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Robert McCoy
    OP

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    Basically I want to know your opinions on whether this would be a good idea to buy.

Pros:
    Not being scalped on eBay for $400

Cons:
    Something could be wrong with the system integrity
    Damaged somehow from a previous owner possibly
    No way of checking the firmware by either serial number or asking in store what it's on
    because it's being shipped from their online site

Edit: Forgot to mention the price. $199.99 plus tax and shipping and handling

2. SuperSVGA

SuperSVGA GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    I think refurbished is a console that was sent to some GameStop facility and refurbished there. Also you should know refurbished is not the same as pre-owned.

Xenon Hacks likes this.
  3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    They are just cleaned up shells if anything is broken it was swapped out for new parts and on the very small chance it is faulty they will give you a new one.

4. Robert McCoy
    OP

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    Ah okay, thanks I hadn't realized that's what refurbished meant. I thought that it was pre-owned and something in it was broken/messed up/somehow damaged and that basically it was sent in by gamestop to get fixed and there's a possibility something could go wrong later on.

5. fitz420

fitz420 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2006
    United States
    I have personally had bad luck with the GameStop refurbished units. I've questions whether or not they really refurbish anything on most of them. My store sold me a refurbished dsi xl with two non functioning shoulder buttons, told me they'd make it up by ordering in 3 new ones for me to trade my broken one for, and all 3 were badly scratched, chipped and one had a non functioning shoulder button as well. I ended up getting my money back. These were all considered "recharged refurbished" from GameStop.

6. Robert McCoy
    OP

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States

This is what I am afraid of tbh

7. fitz420

fitz420 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2006
    United States
    I will say though, that although I was unhappy, they happily offered to refund my money in full. I didn't have to jump through any hoops. I wouldn't buy one of the refurbs without seeing it in person.

8. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Employees cannot control the quality of what they receive from corporate.

OP: GameStop warrants their refurbished, so I'm not sure what you are worried about. It comes with an A/C adapter, so there's a plus. If anything is wrong you have 7 days to return it and 30 days to swap it out for the identical item. I'm also willing to bet that most of these are 100% perfectly fine systems, that people claimed were defective because it didn't have the top screen they wanted (IPS or TN. Some like one, some like the other).

Buy one and if it's not what you think it should be quality wise, return it. Done and done. GameStop employees will take care of you. That's their focus these days.

Robert McCoy likes this.
  9. SuperSVGA

SuperSVGA GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    I didn't buy refurbished, but when I bought a pre-owned PS3 and Vita, I swapped them both out once, the PS3 just because the controller had a tobacco smell and the Vita because it had a few scratches on the screen. They really good about it.

Robert McCoy likes this.