Gamestop is a ripoff!

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Then it's worth 75$ because now they have to resale it and gain a profit. That's how resale works.

By that logic they should sell their opened "new" copies of games at 90% off
If they are selling "new" games and they have already been opened, then they are ripping off.
Although 99% of the gamestops that I have bought from had empty cases for the new games for display and when you bought the game, they give you the unopened game at the counter or from the backroom.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
It's stupid how they sell something for $5-10 cheaper than new yet give the people they got it from just $20-40 for it.
Why the hell would you sell a DSi-XL you bought 2-3 days ago?
And why would you sell a Vita already? They're still new...

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop is not ripping anyone off, it's just people expect more value for something than it's really worth.
I just dont think my new vita is worth 75$

MSRP is 250. You are not a retailer, so already it's worth less. You're willing to sell it, even though it's supposedly brand new, soo... how much do you want? 200? How much is it worth it to you to not have to go out and look for a buyer? Gamestop is playing middleman, and yeah, they are going to get way more bang for their buck, because they are a huge company that now has to sell your used crap. And yeah, they're going to mark it up because they pay marketing people tons of money to analyze the data and figure out how much they can sell it for. All you did was waltz into their store thinking you'd get... what?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got $42 for a 2nd generation iPod touch. I didn't feel like waiting forever to sell it, so it wasn't a bad deal IMO.

*nods* Told you, and you went against what you said on Skype.

gallery_193826_461_11714.png

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It makes sense for gamestop to rip people off... they don't make any products, their business revolves around ripping people off and that's the only way it can live.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It makes sense for gamestop to rip people off... they don't make any products, their business revolves around ripping people off and that's the only way it can live.
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Retail outlets often do not manufacture the goods they sell. That doesn't amount to "ripping people off."

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Retail outlets often do not manufacture the goods they sell. That doesn't amount to "ripping people off."

I see that I have lost this argument.

I should say, general retail outlets may make profit, but it is because they get items cheaper than the consumer. So you are right, they do not rip people off. However, in the eyes of gamestop, their used games are based on ripping people off. Their new games are just as overall expensive as any other retailer.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop is a ripoff. I once found two copies of a game. One was used and the other was new. The new copy was cheaper than the used copy!

But in all seriousness, what you can get from gamestop for selling things to them is really good compared to the mom and pop game store around here. Here, they don't know what is what.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gamestop is a ripoff in the sense that you pay huge fees to have them do the work for you.

Gamestop:
1: Walk in, trade in game for $10.
2: Walk out.
Time spent: 5 minutes + travel time

Real World:
1: Post ad on a site. Lets go with ebay.
2: Put auction starting at $15, buy it now for $30.
3: 3 days later, game sells for $30.
4: Confirm payment, package the game, and go to the post office to mail it.
Time spent: A whole fucking lot longer + travel time.

There is NO effort involved in trading to gamestop, this is why you don't get SHIT for what you trade in.

Do they still heavily mark up shit, sure. Don't like it? Then don't be a lazy idiot, and instead sell it yourself. They're a business, not your personal games/hardware-for-money fair exchange market.

Reactions: 4 people

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back when they were Funcoland*, depending on the game you could occasionally get a good price for your used stuff. But that was like in the 90's. I don't think I've sold them anything since the N64 era, because it's just not a good enough deal for me to part with my stuff.

*yes not all gamestops started as funcolands, but many did, and that's the store pre-merger that did all the used game stuff

Reactions: 1 person

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gamestop is a ripoff. I once found two copies of a game. One was used and the other was new. The new copy was cheaper than the used copy!

But in all seriousness, what you can get from gamestop for selling things to them is really good compared to the mom and pop game store around here. Here, they don't know what is what.

Not really a rip off, more bad management for not keeping track/updating of prices.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Exactly, I was pissed off too. Long time ago when Mario Galaxy 2 came out, I finished it in 2 days, go trade it in (cause I don't feel like going back to it), they say 3$

4 Months ago (i think) I go in to trade in PS3 games (MW2, MW3, and Resistance 3) Whats the total?

$14.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
And how much tax do you have to pay on the price Gamestop give you?
And how much tax do Gamestop have to pay on the markup they put on the second hand game?

You sell for $10
Gamestop sell for $40

that's a profit of $30. What's corparate tax in America? 30%, 40%? That brings their profit down to $21. That's not taking into account the price they have to pay for renting the store outlet, lighting and powering the store, paying staff etc...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: