Hacking Gamecube games on Wii

Aryudsoh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having problems running some gamecube backups on my Wii. On some games I get the error "The Memory Card in Slot A is damaged and cannot be used". While there is nothing wrong with the memory card (tried several) and they work on some backups but not others. Anyone else had this problem and know a way of resolving it?

Also does anybody know how to play NTSC originals (gamecube) on a PAL Wii. Freeloader didn't work. I had an import gamecube so I've got mostly NTSC games in my collection.

roboz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. Try using slot B, to see if there is any difference. There shouldn't be any problems if you used your gamecube or wii to format it.
2. Since Freeloader doesn't work for you, you will need to chip your wii to play games from a different region, but not all games are compatible depending on your chip.

Aryudsoh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1. Tried formatting already and it makes no difference. Tried a brand new memory card and same problem. I can save on other games even some other games on the same GC multidisc but there are certain games that just won't save. This is only on SOME backups though. All originals save fine. Slot B doesn't allow save data to be created or saved to in a lot of games so it doesn't make a difference either.

2. My Wii is chipped with a D2CKey. Don't think it makes a difference when it comes to GC games as imports won't boot.

otto888

I break things for a living.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the GC card is PAL and the game is NTSC,it may think its corrupt. Try converting it with a Wii SDK file named cardedit.elf(can't give link)

Aryudsoh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't think it's a regional problem. The card is NTSC. I can save other NTSC games fine on the card. Heck one of the games that won't save is Sonic CD (part of the Sonic Gems Collection) but I can save other games from the SGC just fine. Really weird. Has no one else had this problem before but me?

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
otto888 said:
if the GC card is PAL and the game is NTSC,it may think its corrupt. Try converting it with a Wii SDK file named cardedit.elf(can't give link)
I can't find it. Why not you give the link?

Aryudsoh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got a strange fix for one of the games that I was having trouble with. Downloaded a save file for the USB memory card and tried booting up with that save on the card. It doesn't recognize the save but will allow me to create a new save file and I can play and save like that. However if I delete the downloaded file off the memory card, then the game does not recognize the new save anymore and won't allow me to create another one (The Memory Card in Slot A is damaged and cannot be used). So basically I still need both save files to get it to work. Weird.

Anyway haven't got this to work for Sonic CD ont the Sonic Gems Collection yet. But at least one more game saves now.

Aryudsoh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Original cards and a third party usb card which I used to download internet saves on to. Strange thing is that they work fine on most games (all originals and most backups). Perhaps it's a compatibility problem with GCOS or multigameisocreator? Tried compressed and uncompressed just in case but doesn't make any difference. Out of ideas for now.

Does anyone know how how to run NTSC originals on a PAL Wii? I tried Freeloader but when I try booting up a game I just get a black screen.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
make-multi v4 is known to have something odd with save files, use make-multi v4f instead if you used v4 before, maybe that fixes it.

That said, the Gamecube Memory Card region thing is not as fixed as some may believe. There are only two "regions" for memory cards: Japanese, and non-Japanese. The only thing that checks which region the memory card is is the GC or Wii itself, most games have no problems saving to the memory card as long as the memory card region is the same as the GC/Wii one. A Japanese GC-game played on a US or PAL Wii, for example, will write fine to a non-Japanese card (some exceptions apply like Donkey Konga, but this is mostly correct), but not to a Japanese one. Actually, as long as you never use Japanese games or systems, you never have to bother with Memory Card regions in any way.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SkH said:
otto888 said:
I can't find it. Why not you give the link?
If it's part of an official Wii SDK, I think it's pretty damn obvious why you can't link to it.

Aryudsoh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pikachu025 said:
make-multi v4 is known to have something odd with save files, use make-multi v4f instead if you used v4 before, maybe that fixes it.

That said, the Gamecube Memory Card region thing is not as fixed as some may believe. There are only two "regions" for memory cards: Japanese, and non-Japanese. The only thing that checks which region the memory card is is the GC or Wii itself, most games have no problems saving to the memory card as long as the memory card region is the same as the GC/Wii one. A Japanese GC-game played on a US or PAL Wii, for example, will write fine to a non-Japanese card (some exceptions apply like Donkey Konga, but this is mostly correct), but not to a Japanese one. Actually, as long as you never use Japanese games or systems, you never have to bother with Memory Card regions in any way.

I used MultiGame ISO Creator 3.2.4.0 which is uses GCOS v4 so that sounds like a likely solution. I'll try it out and see if it makes a difference.

Knew about the region thing because I had a Panasonic Q modded to play US games as well as Jap, and I live in a PAL region so I bought some PAL games as well. All US/PAL games can share the same memory card but Japanese games needed a separate one.

EDIT: Tried GCOS v4f and it has fixed the saving problem so thank you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know burnt pizza can be pretty bad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    gonna download sonic generations to my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    How do you put games on there? Does it have like a game store on the ps3?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black market store
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, download a pkg file, put it in a usb or a sd card, put the usb or sd card to ps3, turn on ps3hen, go to install game, install the game
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yea that's same with me, was just curious. Coolio
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao my keyboard decided to randomly die
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its prob your new router interfering w it