Gamecube games make me cry

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by MizuhoChan, Sep 2, 2008.

Sep 2, 2008

Gamecube games make me cry by MizuhoChan at 11:15 PM (1,834 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. MizuhoChan
    OP

Member MizuhoChan GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I have a 32" TV and tried to play Tales of Symphonia and I just couldn't get past the "OUCH, MY EYES" graphics. Other than getting another, smaller TV, is there a way to make it less blurry?

I don't suppose there is a utility that will let me reduce the resolution the Wii plays at is there?

2. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

You have the component of the cables?

3. MizuhoChan
    OP

Member MizuhoChan GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I have component cables and am running at 420p

4. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    have you changed the sharpeness on your tv setting? that will help some, it did me

5. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    turn the sharpness down and enable 480p mode via the game that you are playing.

6. linkinworm

United Kingdom
    o forgot to add, you might have to enable 480p in GC mode again, hold B while booting the game from the wii menu then sellect progressive mode

7. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    You can change it to 480i in the Wii system menu.

8. TaxiTitan

Member TaxiTitan GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Like they said.. hold B when starting any Jap or USA game to choose 480p when using your YPBPR component cable.
    Make sure not to use ZOOM or 16:9!
    only resident evil 4 has the ZOOMable widescreen which sux compared to Wii edition.
    Use only 4:3 format! I know the picture looks smaller, but it makes it sharper & prevents characters/objects to look like Eric Cartman.

9. RadioShadow

Member RadioShadow GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Didn't the Progressive Option get removed in the PAL Gamecube Games? Unless I'm mistaken.

10. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure you're right. Which sucks because my gamecube is the hardware revision with a component out port.

11. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Tales of Symphonia doesn't support 480p anyway. So it'll always run in the default resolution regardless of component or composite cable, pressing the B button or any Wii settings.

That game in particular tends to look blurry. It's part of the way the graphics engine of the game was done. You'll notice that in some scenes some characters are more or less blurry than others depending on how deep in the 3D field they are in. It's not something you can work around.

And just FYI for everyone, the component output (that supports 480p) was only available in the US for a limited time as well. Newer revisions of the Gamecube in the US also only had composite cables (480i only). They dropped it pretty quick if memory serves. Nintendo says that it's because only a small percent of their user base actually took advantage of the feature, so they cut it out to save production costs in later revisions. Not sure if PAL versions ever got progressive scan.

12. linkinworm

United Kingdom
    nope, well you can get 50 60hz in pal games, but all my GC games are imports(usa and jap), and zelda looks mint anyway, i think its because i have pal hardware running with the component cables so it looks nicer in pal games for me anyway

13. TaxiTitan

Member TaxiTitan GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Nope.
    Not a single Pal GC game has 480p, but the older Pal consoles have AV digital out put, and can output it if you have a modchip to play import games.

14. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    or try to force 480p with GCOS but probably won't work [​IMG]
    tho just so you know, 480i vs 480p is great 'n all but it's still 480 and it's still going to look kind of crappy on a big tv.
    I still enjoy playing ps2 n gamecube games on my 42" but it is visible that they're old [​IMG]