GameCube controller adapter to Wiimote

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Videomanman87, Mar 31, 2013.

Mar 31, 2013
  1. Videomanman87
    OP

Member Videomanman87 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok here is the situation. I have a cyberbike and I enjoy it very much, and I have no problem with the Wii. But as we know the WiiU does NOT have gamecube ports which is how the bike connects to the Wii. I also know of several games that while they are Wii, use the gamecube ports for one thing or another.

So here is the idea: would a gamecube to wiimote addapter work in this case? There is one like here: http://www.gummowned.com/?tcp_product=gamecube-to-wiimote-adapter

or this one:
    http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_wiimote/index.php

Ok the main question is, since these adapters in general make the gamecube controller into a classic controller do the buttons map exactly?

In other words, does the classic controller normally go 1 to 1 as far as the controls? A button on wiimote is A button on classic controller and B is B? Or do they remap in some other fashion?

If it keeps all the buttons the same (as much as possible) then devices such as the Cyberbike that plug in via gamecube ports would be plug and play. If they remap, then I am guessing the adapter would need to have a way to custom map depending on the game required.

Anyway any input is appreciated. :)

2. SickPuppy

Member SickPuppy New Member

United States
    If you use an adapter like that, the gamecube controller plugged into the Wii remote will be recognized as a Wii classic controller, or maybe a classic controller pro. So, your gamecube controller will only work with games that have support for the classic controller (pro). Any button remapping would have to be done at the adapter.

3. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
  4. qwertymodo

Member qwertymodo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The raphnet adapter acts as a Classic Controller and its default mapping is 1:1 (A->A, B->B, etc.), the only caveat being it doesn't support the GC analog triggers (unless he's added it and forgotten to update his product description). I don't know if the Cyberbike uses those axes for anything, but if it does, you'd be out of luck there. My adapter supports the analog triggers, but currently doesn't handle controller disconnects very gracefully, so I haven't actually started selling them yet (but once that bug is squashed, the hardware is 100% ready to go...)

5. Videomanman87
    OP

United States
    Sick, yes I figgured that. Just didn't know what the mappings would be. Since the cyberbike can be custom programmed, if there was a problem I *think* I could remap it there just as long as I get a good connection to the wiimote etc. It would be better of course if it was just plug in play as others might have problems remapping the bike. It shouldn't be a problem for me as long as it is possible without hardware hacking, and the instructions say it can be done although they don't mention peddling (button A and B) as one of the remapable aspects but I don't see why it should be any different. You would need it for certain GameCube games that had different controls.

Thanks for the info qwerty. The Cyberbike doesn't use those axes as far as I know. And I just started looking at your thread (didn't find it when I did a search figures lol), very cool/good work. Wish I was able to help but my soldering/programming skills are very very lacking.

6. qwertymodo

Member qwertymodo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just got an AVR Dragon yesterday, so I can actually do real debugging now. I just need to build myself a Dragon Shield because apparently these things are rather susceptible to blowing themselves up for no reason...

7. Videomanman87
    OP

United States
    That is great news. :)