OP
Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm an utter newbie and just got a launch date Wii. I hear these are great for modding, and want to do so as soon as possible.

I've been reading a bit on this and other forums, and am starting to get the gist of the process. My (drive?) is estimated to be GC2R-D2A.

There are quite a few reccomendations out there for the "Free Clip" programmed with YAOSM. What I HAVEN'T found is an explanation on why it's the best, or what advantages it has over my other options.

I'm about to pull the trigger and order the stuff I need (screwdrivers, serial connector as my computer does not have one, free clip... is there anything else?), but I was hoping to get a ltitle bit more information from you guys... and help is appreciated.

If someone could answer the following questions for me, that would be SO GREAT...

- Are there any compatibility issues with the free clip?

- from looking around, ive heard murmurs of Wii updates causing problems with mod chips. So basically od i just avoid updating my wii? Is this a problem with the free clip in particular?

- What advantages does free clip have over my other options?

- I've seen random complaints of modded wiis no longer being able to play commercial games, only backups... is this a concern with Free clip? I'd very much like to keep the aibltiy to play my commerical games intact.

- Do i need a dual layered DVD burner to make backups?

- I assume that modding a wii allows it to play homebrew as well as backups?

- Is there any point to the twilight hack (homebrew channel) if i have a modded wii?

Thanks SOO much... i must admit, this is a little confusing, but im learning...

fly_us

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Centimetro said:
Hello,

I'm an utter newbie and just got a launch date Wii. I hear these are great for modding, and want to do so as soon as possible.

I've been reading a bit on this and other forums, and am starting to get the gist of the process. My (drive?) is estimated to be GC2R-D2A.

There are quite a few reccomendations out there for the "Free Clip" programmed with YAOSM. What I HAVEN'T found is an explanation on why it's the best, or what advantages it has over my other options.

I'm about to pull the trigger and order the stuff I need (screwdrivers, serial connector as my computer does not have one, free clip... is there anything else?), but I was hoping to get a ltitle bit more information from you guys... and help is appreciated.

If someone could answer the following questions for me, that would be SO GREAT...

- Are there any compatibility issues with the free clip? only for later drive, D2A should be fine

- from looking around, ive heard murmurs of Wii updates causing problems with mod chips. So basically od i just avoid updating my wii? Is this a problem with the free clip in particular? -> until this moment, update new firmware does not cause any problem with mod chips so far.

- What advantages does free clip have over my other options? -> Cheap and can be reprogrammed anytime, , but of course, the setup is harder than using Wiikey+Wiiclip (which is considered as solderless)

- I've seen random complaints of modded wiis no longer being able to play commercial games, only backups... is this a concern with Free clip? I'd very much like to keep the aibltiy to play my commerical games intact. -> most of time about the soldering problem.

- Do i need a dual layered DVD burner to make backups? -> up to this time, SSBB is the only game in DVD DL, if you wanna play that game, better have a burner that support DVD DL.

- I assume that modding a wii allows it to play homebrew as well as backups? -> unmodded also can use homebrew (of course not play backup), then why a modded cannot?

- Is there any point to the twilight hack (homebrew channel) if i have a modded wii? -> Without TH, then no homebrew, even with a modded wii

Thanks SOO much... i must admit, this is a little confusing, but im learning...

Centimetro

OP
Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
thanks a lot for the help! most of that sounds like good news to me...

Glad i don't have to get a dual layered DVD Burner (yet).. because i actually got Brawl with my wii. so, assuming that my legit commercial games will still work... no problem there.

Oh, one question i forgot to ask - will tihs mod let me play Gamecube backups as well?

Jibib

Trophies
Website
www.nitroclan.freeforums.org
XP
Country
Yup, your gonna get a wii key right?

I jsut installed my Wii Key today, ive had no problems at all except a problem with a game (happens to be a Gamecube game lol) Dont let that put you off though, i think this game was maybe a bad burn :S

So yea a wiikey can play GC back ups too.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
GC backups kind of work.... they tend to have more compatibility issues than wii games.

I find if you use MultiGame ISO Creator, compatibility is a lot better. This situation will be the same regardless of your mod chip though.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
I wish there existed open source modchips for d2c boards too...
The thing good about them and any open source software/hardware is the support of course... when you look at the changelog of yaosm there exists at least 10 revisions... The bad thing about that is you need to update the thing more often than you need for the commercial ones

Meksilon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello,

They are great for modding.

I went with Wiikey, and I'd still rather a chip that's updatable using DVD+RW over a PIC Programmer.

- Are there any compatibility issues with the free clip?

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/Wii...patibility_List

- from looking around, ive heard murmurs of Wii updates causing problems with mod chips. So basically od i just avoid updating my wii? Is this a problem with the free clip in particular?

No update stops any chip from functioning - although it's possible the "Error 001" code could be put into the system menu ISO in the future. 3.3 blocks the trucha exploit, so with the 3.2 firmware you're not missing any compatibility.

- What advantages does free clip have over my other options?

Against Wiikey? Not much... except that you can modify the code and recompile it, if you want.

- I've seen random complaints of modded wiis no longer being able to play commercial games, only backups... is this a concern with Free clip? I'd very much like to keep the aibltiy to play my commerical games intact.

Unfortunately it is true that every modchip has higher compatibility with pre-patched burnt games rather than original imports - this isn't due to the modchip's individual settings, but due to the way that games can be individually patched for better compatibility. This, however, does not affect compatibility of same-region games, and using one of the system-menu patchers to change your Wii's internal region number, you could still achieve the compatibility you desire.

- Do i need a dual layered DVD burner to make backups?

No; but you need either: 1. a dual layer burner, or 2. trucha support - to play DL backups which have been reduced to an SL disc.

- I assume that modding a wii allows it to play homebrew as well as backups?

No, the Twilight hack/Homebrew channel allows that. It does, however, allow homebrew *discs* to be played as well (including homebrew GameCube discs), and so further increases your ability to utilize homebrew.

- Is there any point to the twilight hack (homebrew channel) if i have a modded wii?

Only if you have firmware 3.3 and need to install the homebrew channel.

Centimetro

OP
Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
thanks so much, Meksilon. I hope that I'm not already on 3.3. Is that the latest version of the wii stuff? I'm not sure what version the guy who owned the wii previously had already upgraded to; luckily he didn't play it much, and when I first connected to internet, it prompted me to upgrade (which i rejected). so im hoping im good.

Swip said:
May I know where you ordered a Free Clip?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12714

fly_us

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you reject the update, then you should be fine. Go to Wii setting, look at the top right corner to check the current firmware.

DX shipping time is okie, except when the product is out of stock or back order. In that case, who know when it will arrive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.