Hacking Force 480p/make games look better

markmcrobie

OP
Trophies
XP
This is the 2nd Wii I've had, and both times I've used the same 42" 1080p Toshiba TV and an official Nintendo component cable. This current Wii is the 1st time I've had a modded one with USB launched games.

It may be all in my paranoid mind, but I'm sure the games don't look as good as they did before. Maybe it's cos I've played a lot of of 360 and PS3 games in between owning my Wiis, but maybe I'm not setting up my USB loader properly? I use USB Loader GX rev919 with Waninkoko's CIOS249/250 Rev 19 and Hermes CISO222/223 Rev 5, but I don't see an option to Force 480p, only System Default, Disc Default, Force PAL50, PAL60 and NTSC.

Which should I be choosing for best effect?

Cheers

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think GX has the ability to force 480p. Configurable does, though. To enable it, set "Video = Force NTSC" and "Video Patch = All" for any games that don't typically support it.

Games this is useful for include Madworld, Kororinpa, Mario Party 8, Spider-Man 3, The Simpsons Game and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

touchdown

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dr. Clipper said:
I don't think GX has the ability to force 480p. Configurable does, though. To enable it, set "Video = Force NTSC" and "Video Patch = All" for any games that don't typically support it.

Games this is useful for include Madworld, Kororinpa, Mario Party 8, Spider-Man 3, The Simpsons Game and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I tried this and it works for most games. But in Madworld I get a black screen with "Video = Force NTSC" and "Video Patch = All". No crash, since I can hear the sound.
Any ideas how to solve this?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think madworld can be forced to 480p. I tried a few months ago with neogamma I think...

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
I have previous confirmation from two people that 480p Madworld worked for them using Cfg (one PAL, one NTSC), but it may use a different display method than typical 480p, explaining why some TVs might blank out.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Tony hawk downhill Jam also looks much better when forced to 480p (runs 480i default, at least in the PAL version).

IMO it would be good if all loaders have the option to force 480p.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
This is a mega-super-necro thread revival but better to bump this than making a new pointless thread.
Is this still an issue? I mean, Is it necessary to FORCE video modes still? And how does it work on WiiU? After all the WiiU outputs in 1080p no matter the kind of game you feed it. Is it relevant in that case as well?
Reason I'm asking is because I've been playing with CFG configurator and Thought I'd find out if it would be OK (meaning no counterproductive results) to just set video mode to either "System Defined" or "NTSC" and video patch to all. Instead of on a per game basis.
Could that cause some issues? Is it irrelevant (vWii)
Anybody has any info on that?
Thanks and sorry for reviving a VERY old thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Steams valued at 300b