For Noobs (Admit it!): How to Ask Questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by afif95, Mar 17, 2009.

Mar 17, 2009
  1. afif95
    OP

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Yes, it's somehow identical to Hadrian's Sticky. But, sadly, I never seen anyone went there these past few days. So, let's hope this helps.

To put simply, we are having an occasional "topic flood" which means that noobs (Admit it dude) makes topic that has been answered many times.

Also, I hope if they read this, I hope noobs will be more disciplined and obey-full which means that noobs will use proper spelling, wouldn't contradict high-poster's post, etc.

So, let's get this settled with.

---------------------------------------------------
    You're here, standing as a low-ranker. It's either you become an honorable noob, or be a dishonored one.

If you're deciding to be a dignity-less low-ranker, leave this Dojo (Sorry, just played Red Steel [​IMG]) right now.

If you're deciding to be an honorable low-ranker, respected by many, you've certainly came to the right place.

TRAINING START!
    ----------------------------------------------------

Before asking a question
    :
    1)SEARCH First! This is the first and foremost rule you must obey. If you ignore this, you'll get told to search anyway.
    Searching helps. Questions that you're gonna ask is probably answered already.

2)READ! Another reason why noobs get flamed by us. It won't work if you done searching but not reading. So read!

3)TRY TO UNDERSTAND! Before you ask, do a thorough research on the application/guide/skill/cheat code/asian chick/
    whatever.

4)READ THE STICKIES!! Stickies are there for a reason; to help you out. So help them help you by reading them.
    By doing so, you have less chance of getting flamed and less chance for making a new topic.

5)RESEARCH!!! One thing that's missing in noobs in GBATemp. Use common sense, if you'd research, wouldn't you knew
    the answer a lot sooner?

While asking a question/making a topic/making a post:
    1)Make sure that you write in ENGLISH not Internet (u, dis, wht, etc), or any other language for that matter. If you don't
    know English, use a translator, A GOOD ONE, not free ones like Google or Babel Fish.

2)Write as POLITE as possible. Don't make your message sound rude or bad. Do not "duh" other people or contradict
    them. This is a forum, so if anything, you're open for suggestions,don't expect an answer that is EXACTLY what
    you're looking for, because if you do, you'll push away suggestions and pray to God that someone will post the righteous
    thing you want

3)Be straight-to-the-point. We don't want questions like 500 words long and the question is "Where do I find

2. deceptica

Newcomer deceptica Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I think the best thing for members to do is leave this "flooding" for the moderators to deal with. If you see a post that you know has been answered before, either answer it again, refer them to the post in which it was answered or just ignore it. No good comes from ranting at the poster. Here's why:

Member 1 is an illiterate idiot. "PLZ HLP..." This person has no interest in reading anything. Reading and writing are hard work for them. They just want their question answered and will be back asking when they get stuck again.

Member 2 has just found out that it may be possible to play backups on his Wii. He has no idea about how any of this works and is a bit intimidated by all the different options (Softchip, Softmii, Gamma, Starfall...). A detailed F.A.Q would help this person, I believe.

All those getting themselves worked up by this flooding would do well to remember that the Internet is all about redundancy. The more ways the question is phrased, the better. This makes searching a lot easier (for those of us who do search).

3. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    Great job, this should be stickied. [​IMG]

4. sgwiiboy

Member sgwiiboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Why, what is the point in making this a sticky? To be honest the whole point of this thread was supposed to be helping to stop repetition of questions and help n00bs. The irony here is that this thread itself is a repetition of the NOOB PARADISE & READ FIRST BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION threads and is also cluttering up the message board.

I have been browsing this forum for months and have never asked a question. I have always managed to find a solution to any problems I have had on my own. That's just me but the kind of n00bs that this is aimed at wont read this topic anyway and will post questions in the forum whether this topic is sticky or not. If they ignore NOOB PARADISE & READ FIRST BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION, why will they take any noice of this?

Do we really need another sticky thread for something we already have?

5. afif95
    OP

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Dude, this ain't a repetition, it's a look-alike.

For me, this is like an expansion to the READ FIRST BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION sticky.

But hey, I'm the writer, so what I say could be biased or some shit :/.

6. MicShadow

Member MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    afif95, I reckon this is a good idea. Now hopefully the noobs will read it. And not simply make a topic like 'PLZ HLP MADWORD NOT WORKING [​IMG]' or something similar

7. TwilightFireFox

Newcomer TwilightFireFox Member

United States
    Bro I second Deceptica. The more ways a question is phrased the more info you'll find when you use the search function. Instead of things that almost look like your question but aren't really all that helpful. I get your dilemma though. I've noticed all the Mad World threads pretty much asking the same question. Let it just ride out for awhile. There's all these different apps and ways of installing brew "noobs" don't always feel safe to rely on one poster's Q&A.

8. john25usa

Newcomer john25usa Advanced Member

Australia
    there should be a sticky which has links to tutorials to set up games that most people have trouble with such as bleach versus crusade and pikmin. if the noobs can find proper tutorials on their specific games theyre having trouble with that will save a lot of questions.

9. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I really think this could be a great thing. I'm extremely tired of seeing new threads come up about the same topic as something on the 2nd page. I think this might help for a week or so, but then new people will come in and not even bother reading it. I still think it should be stickied though.

10. TwilightFireFox

Newcomer TwilightFireFox Member

United States
    WTF great thing? This isn't innovative. Gbatemp already has a similar sticky. Its called Noob Paradise. ITS THE SAME THING!!! This is just as redundant as any other noob thread. Only thing that might help is during registration there's a forced video tutorial on how to use the search function lol. Until then deal with it. We have mods for a reason.

Also in those carbon copy threads we can all help by politely linking them to the SAME one's asked by other people. Not actually giving them the satisfaction of answering it, you know. Eventually (wishful thinking here) noobs will take notice.

I'm tired of these look, I have something that's going to change the forum type threads more so than the noob ones. Just because you purpose change it doesn't make you Obama. Seriously not trying to be a dick here but this is something you have to let ride out a bit and let mods take care of it by deleting redundant threads.

11. sgwiiboy

Member sgwiiboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I not saying it's not a good guide. I think you have just wasted your time that's all. You have taken the time (a long time too I bet) to write it but the people who it's aimed will not bother to read it. They are too lazy. Plus it's just too similar to other sticky thrreads.

Also, I think we should be directing the n00bs to the Wiki compatibility matrix. Any problem I have ever had with a game, I sorted it by using the matrix. People (including myself) update it with how to fix ISO'a and put up links to threads explaining 002 fixs, CIOS updates. IOS patching etc.

12. CreX

Member CreX GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Allthou I'm kinda noob here my self I really understand this post. I guess it was really different back in the days here. Since the GBA hacking/homebrew/flashcart scene was so much smaller than todays NDS/wii scene. Now all sort of ppl find their way here and starts asking questions. I guess the avarage age of members has drastically fallen and with it, the english language. We will see more and more "HI ME NEED HELP PLZ HLP?" I guess, since more and more causal and young people gets here with 0 experience with forums.