Hacking FlatMii and Linux

Zoulpain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Iv grown tierd of windows over the years, i want to switch to linux fully .. but one thing is keeping me from switching

FlatMii needs windows to stream games 100%

I tried using vmware .. but the games lags.. dont seem to get usb 2.0 speed

I also mailed FlatMii support, but they have no intention of making a linux driver.

Mail to FlatMii Support
QUOTE said:
Will there be released any linux drivers for FlatMii in the near future?
Mail from FlatMii Support
QUOTENo.

Anyone feel like trying to port the driver and the launcher program to linux?

Or have some workaround to get it working without vmware?

-edit-

Checked the ini file.. says it uses "Cypress Generic USB Driver"

moogle.gif
~ Zoul

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
Zoulpain said:
Anyone feel like trying to port the driver and the launcher program to linux?

I would think not... Why should someone here do a port to get it working for LINUX only for the guys at flatmii just to find out how its done and then sell it with the Linux support and make more money while the poor sod that did all the work gets nothing

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Vidboy10 said:
Technicly, Wine makes Linux act like Windows and it installs the drivers them self, just like it does in Windows.
Or Technicly you can install them your self.

Actually, wine does not support most drivers. However, some USB, CDROM, and (possibly) printer drivers might work as long as they are userspace drivers. The USB driver support was desgined mainly to handle the ipod drivers used by itunes, though flatmii seems simple enough that they might work. Note that the driver must run in userspace, kernel mode drivers will not work at all.

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
nl255 said:
Vidboy10 said:
Technicly, Wine makes Linux act like Windows and it installs the drivers them self, just like it does in Windows.
Or Technicly you can install them your self.

Actually, wine does not support most drivers. However, some USB, CDROM, and (possibly) printer drivers might work as long as they are userspace drivers. The USB driver support was desgined mainly to handle the ipod drivers used by itunes, though flatmii seems simple enough that they might work. Note that the driver must run in userspace, kernel mode drivers will not work at all.
Well, i installed some Printer Drivers once on Linux and it worked Flawless.

TheNewMouse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
theres lots of Wii Scene stuff thats totally refusese to work in Linux.

WADder for one is a total fail, also the likes of u8tool and others totally refuse to operate via Linux.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had considered getting a flatmii to put my new USB board ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=42857 , these things are awesome for the pocket change they cost) to the test but from what I hear of those that attempted to disassemble/decompile* the base application the flatmii team had locked it down fairly well.

*it is a dot net app so it should in theory be able to decompile at some level. It also opens the possibility of a JIT kludge with mono or possibly dotGNU.
Another option might be to look at the GC code the flatmii likely owes more than a passing nod to and working along with it.

@steve-p while I think wine is awesome there is a security risk of sorts and relying on it for the more mission critical stuff is bound to end up with at best a few long nights.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1