First Timer Pokemon Rom Hack (I NEED TIPS)

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by StayHappy, Jan 23, 2017.

1. StayHappy
    OP

StayHappy Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    Hello I am currently going into the Pokemon Rom hacking community and I was just wondering if I could get a few tips and short cuts on how to do stuff. I have all the tools so im fine there. I am going to start with Gen 1 or 2 for a beginner start the work on the more complex 3rd Gen.

2. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    You're probably better off starting with gen 3 as I'm pretty sure it's much more well-documented and if you're new to hacking the tools are much more user-friendly.

Try to learn and apply ASM, don't want to be a downer but I guarantee any ideas you have that you can do with stock tools have probably already been done a million times by other hackers. Plus ASM is much more impressive.

3. StayHappy
    OP

StayHappy Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    ASM? and I know people been doing this for years so im not suprised lol. I just want to do it as a side project and see what I come up with lol.

4. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    Assembly hacking; it's where you make custom code for the game. Pokemon Prism is an excellent example of a game with ASM, a lot of its stuff is custom.

Otherwise just read the tutorials and play around with the tools.

5. StayHappy
    OP

StayHappy Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    Yea that might be a bit to advance for me at the moment lol. I have zero coding skills to it will be a bit before I can do my own personal coding.

6. jastolze

jastolze GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2012
    United States
    If you're wanting gen 2, try crystal hacking. The source code is available on github and can be customized a ton.
    For gen 3 (I'd totally recommend) try a firered base Rom with expanded Pokemon. One that I used had up to 1460 slots for Pokemon (yes, 1460!) And it has everything Data wise for the first 6 gens (721 Pokemon) already done. You need to add them into the wild and if you want, edit the trainers to use the newer PKMN. It's available to hackers on pokecommunity.