First Time Attempt to Homebrew

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by MalkavianBro, Oct 13, 2018.

1. MalkavianBro
    OP

MalkavianBro Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2018
    United States
    I am SURE there is a better place to post something like this but I was wondering if someone could give me some links to the better tutorials for installing homebrew onto my 3DS. I have never done something like this, besides hacking my SNES Classic which was just me downloading a program and launching it, and I just want to be as safe as possible to not brick my system. I'm mostly interesting in running ROMs of games I own, specifically Monster Hunter Stories, but also would like to use a supplement program to allow cheats since Datel are dragging their asses on doing updates on newer games. Or, for games like Monster Hunter Stories, the saved data doesn't save on the cartridge so the save editor won't work. Anyways, any help would be nice!

2. bungboi

bungboi GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2017
    United States
    Last edited by bungboi, Oct 13, 2018
    MalkavianBro likes this.
  3. MalkavianBro
    OP

MalkavianBro Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2018
    United States
    I do! I have Four Swords, was given it a LONG time ago for free.

4. bungboi

bungboi GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2017
    United States
    MalkavianBro likes this.
  5. MalkavianBro
    OP

MalkavianBro Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2018
    United States
    Thank you so much! Just finished it and I am already loving the aspect of having digital versions of all the games I own! Real quick, since the guide didn't really go over it, how would I go about launching applications (like a ROM) and when I install Sharkive do I just need the .cia or the .3dsx file? Or both like I did with FBI? Again, thanks for all the help!

6. bungboi

bungboi GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2017
    United States
    1. If you're asking how to start roms of older games, you can download an emulator from FBI's TitleDB. If you're asking how to launch 3DS games, you can install the CIA with FBI. If it's not a CIA, you can easily convert it in GodMode9. (Start on boot)

2. You don't need both the 3dsx and CIA. It just depends if you want a certain app on your home menu or not. If you want, you can install both to have Sharkive on your home menu and in the Homebrew Launcher.