Fan Made Musical Takes Next Step Forward

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Donald Serrot, Apr 16, 2011.

Apr 16, 2011
  1. Donald Serrot
    OP

Member Donald Serrot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPu7snXaXyc[/youtube]​

The Turnabout Musical project, famous for being the first project of it's kind not shut down after being contacted by a game company, has taken a huge step forward today. The people gathered at ICON in Stony Brook NY got to be the first of the public to see key frame animations for the opening number "August Day".

Turnabout musical has been in the works for nearly three years now originating on the Court-Records fansite and later migrating to it's own site to accommodate the size of the project. It is unique in that the production leaders have been contacted by Capcom about the project, but instead of issuing a Cease and Desist Capcom sought more info about the project and expressed interest helping with getting the project officially licensed.

[​IMG] ICON guest page for the Project
    [​IMG] Turnabout Musical's Website

2. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    That was not bad, not bad at all. It's funny though, because right now I'm replaying a case on Trials and Tribulations.

3. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    Good move, capcom. Your PR is gonna skyrocket if you keep this stuff up, not that it was ever bad in the first place.

There was still those japanese PW musicals where everyone was played by a girl before this, though, right?

This looks better than that.

4. Donald Serrot
    OP

United States
    I wanted to do this personal part separate. This musical has been a big part of my life since I found it about two years ago. I'm proud that I can even say that I have a minor connection to this project (I wrote the words for 2 of the 30 songs in the final cut) and I'm proud of the team for achieving this, I just wish I could have been there. This project is special not just because of what they accomplished as far as the whole Capcom goes, but because they have actually gotten something like this together when only a few of the team members have ever met face to face, this is an entirely internet based project.

So once again, grats to the team for making this "colossal waste of time" into something amazing.

This was actually started about a year before those musicals were announced.
    Capcom contacted us not long after the whole Legend of Zelda movie thing happened that Nintendo shut down. It was a frightening time when we were told we had been contacted by capcom, but thankfully that didn't last long. XD

5. Warrior522

Member Warrior522 "In all things, balance."

United States
    ... Mind = FUCKING NUKED. HOLY SHIT, CAPCOM'S IN ON THIS TOO?!?

6. Donald Serrot
    OP

United States
    Just enough to give their blessing, outside that it's entirely fans.

7. Warrior522

United States
    But it's CAPCOM. That alone makes this an amazing feat. 83

Damn I wish I could help... I love the Ace Attorney series...

8. Donald Serrot
    OP

United States
    lol true, true.

They are in the process of starting on the second game's musical, and the work on this musical isn't done yet. I'm sure if you head over to their forums they may have something you can help with, even spreading the word helps! [​IMG]

9. Warrior522

United States
    Word spreading = will do. [​IMG]

10. FlameTakuya

Member FlameTakuya GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Singapore
    Yeah cause those Takarazuka productions were mostly original characters + original storyline, only using some capcom's characters. IMO, most of them were pretty OOC in there. (Except Maya)

11. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    great song, twenty times less BORING than PW games, jesus that shit is just blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

12. Donald Serrot
    OP

United States
    Ind don't forget that it broke the canon of the story. There was absolutely nowhere they could fit with ho tight Capcom made the timeline. [​IMG]

13. jerome27

Banned jerome27 Banned

United States
    lol too funny!!

14. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    Are they making this as a flash animation or did they chose to keep the quality low to fit in with the games?

EDIT: Low quality probably the wrong wording, lo-fi maybe? Shit, I'm sure you know what I mean after this edit anyhows.

15. Donald Serrot
    OP

United States
    No, this is just key frames, think of it as a high quality storyboard using the actual frames instead of quick sketches. We are treating this as if it was an actual professional made production, this is still early on in the animation process.