Hacking Failed System Transfer

Unessential

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just attempted a System transfer and it got an error message. Lucky I decided to stream it because I thought the pikmin were cute

https:// www. twitch.tv /videos/209684734?t=05m20s

(video embed isn't working, and I can't make the forum *not*automatically embed without the spaces)

It happened at the end of the process. My original 3DS thought the transfer completed properly and basically did a factory reset (now does initial set up when I turn it on)

While my new 3DS got that error message, and did not do the system transfer properly.

Is there a way for me to make my 3DS recognize the old user folder on my SD card as if the system transfer completed?

Things I have which may be applicable -
the current SD (post failed system transfer)
Various backups of that SD (more recent probably the same as post failed system transfer, since I don't think it did anything, I was supposed to copy to PC anyway)
various Outdated NAND backups of old 3DS

Last edited by Unessential,

Unessential

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And then system transfer again and hope it doesn't fuck up this time? Or do you mean Restore the backup of the old 3DS to the new?

My new 3DS is literally a "new 3ds" and my o 3ds is an o3ds... That'd cause problems because incompatible NAND images right?

edit: Also I just now was searching for my outdated NAND backup. Seems like it was from when I was using al9h. will this cause problems when trying to flash it on my 3ds that's on b9s? I recall there was an option on the backuptool to detect and fix images but Can't say for sure. I'll probably be attempting this all again tonight when I get home from work...

Toady231

Intellectual saviour of the masses
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And then system transfer again and hope it doesn't fuck up this time? Or do you mean Restore the backup of the old 3DS to the new?

My new 3DS is literally a "new 3ds" and my o 3ds is an o3ds... That'd cause problems because incompatible NAND images right?

edit: Also I just now was searching for my outdated NAND backup. Seems like it was from when I was using al9h. will this cause problems when trying to flash it on my 3ds that's on b9s? I recall there was an option on the backuptool to detect and fix images but Can't say for sure. I'll probably be attempting this all again tonight when I get home from work...
You can't use o3ds nand on another console it'll brick it. If you use the back up on the o3ds you'll just go back to a9lh put all files back on the sd card should be good to go. If not then out of luck.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Unessential

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But i want to have everything on my NEW 3DS though. My old 3ds is on the brink of death due to multiple failed mods (i fucked up a capture card mod then fucked up a controller mod)

Wont restoring the nand have some linking issues because some stuff is out of sync with Nintendo's servers? I recall lots of that happening during the early days of 3ds cfw.

Or will a system transfer attempt still work? Also does anyone know what caused that error message I got? Because even if I can attempt the system transfer again, as far as I know there's nothing stopping that error from occuring again.

Unessential

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I *did* follow nintendo's guide. I even paused the video during certain points as I was doing it. That video was shared here looks like it's official https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-system-transfer-from-one-3ds-to-cfw-3ds.422720/ although the screens were sometimes a bit different (probably because newer firmware version)

As for the error message It is at the video where I timestamped here (I shared this on the first post too):

https:// www. twitch.tv /videos/209684734?t=05m20s (I have the lower screen on the bottom right corner) And again gba temp does funky stuff with embeds and fucks it up so I linked it how I did here with spaces =/

And what about not being able to do any online functions (eshop, system transfer, etc...) because of actual 3ds's linked not syncing up with servers? Is that not a concern anymore? Again, I remember Things screwing up for a lot of people during the early 3ds days because of this and nand restoring and factory resets and such because youve "broken" nintendo's flow.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I *did* follow nintendo's guide. I even paused the video during certain points as I was doing it. That video was shared here looks like it's official https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-system-transfer-from-one-3ds-to-cfw-3ds.422720/ although the screens were sometimes a bit different (probably because newer firmware version)

As for the error message It is at the video where I timestamped here (I shared this on the first post too):

https:// www. twitch.tv /videos/209684734?t=05m20s (I have the lower screen on the bottom right corner) And again gba temp does funky stuff with embeds and fucks it up so I linked it how I did here with spaces =/

And what about not being able to do any online functions (eshop, system transfer, etc...) because of actual 3ds's linked not syncing up with servers? Is that not a concern anymore? Again, I remember Things screwing up for a lot of people during the early 3ds days because of this and nand restoring and factory resets and such because youve "broken" nintendo's flow.
I tried to go to that URL but it goes to the beginning of the video. Any chance of just uploading a pic? You don't need an NNID to do anything except things like Badge Arcade and Pokémon Bank. So if that failed to move over you don't need to worry. A system transfer only does two things - moves the NNID and makes the target compatible with the SD card data from the source.

Unessential

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After my first post here the later ones were all on my phone so not an easy way to post a screenshot but I just made one now

https://imgur.com/a/6C7g5

And it sucks that nintendo has a 7 day waiting period for system transfers, and not smart enough to have the console send them an abort during an Error....

Now I have to wait 7 days to get this done... Ugh... Is there any known way around this?

Unessential

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It boots up normally as if the system transfer didn't happen. Except the time limit restriction before another system transfer is allowed to take place is there...

Unessential

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I moved my SD card when the console told me to yes. but that was one of the things that didn't match the video. I even rewinded and watched again to make sure before switching...

When I try again I will probably move the SD card after the transfer is complete because that matches the video more...

It just sucks i have to wait until freaking friday to do so.... Again, is there no known way to fool nintendo's servers to allow a system transfer earlier? ... :( It's stupid. Nintendo should have had foresight to throw a message to the server to re-allow transfers if the console throws an error ....

I hate nintendo sometimes... they screw so many simple things like this up...

Unessential

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I'm attempting the system transfer again... and restoring the nand on my old 3ds DID mess things up. because of the linked NNID not matching nintendo's servers... it asks me to log in, and says the NNID cannot be used with the system. (which again, is what I recall happening early 3DS hack days) Going to see if i can delete a system save and do the transfer without a NNID...

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So, I'm attempting the system transfer again... and restoring the nand on my old 3ds DID mess things up. because of the linked NNID not matching nintendo's servers... it asks me to log in, and says the NNID cannot be used with the system. (which again, is what I recall happening early 3DS hack days) Going to see if i can delete a system save and do the transfer without a NNID...
All NNIDs associated with a console will transfer whether or not they are signed in. All you have to do is save a blank nnidsave.bin, see https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage under removing an NNID without formatting

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water