Factory reset Wii U without loosing downloaded content

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Jadon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Jadon
    OP

Jadon Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    I just purchased a Wii U second hand. It has two Wii U games that the previous owner downloaded. From what I understand, the downloaded content is tied to the console and not the user's Nintendo account. I would like to factory reset the device, but I want to be sure that I'll still be able to re-download the games again.

2. Alex4U

Alex4U some random guy that just likes snivys

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    with Snivy, Mystery Zone (Adress 0x00)
    You can download ALL again if you link you NNID with only ONE Wii U, You cant link you NNID more than 2 Wii U...

3. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    I think he meant to keep the original owner's games while formatting the system.

Again, they are not only tied to the console, but to the NNID account too. Formatting deletes the NNIDs, so he can't download them again if he formats.

Anyway, he asked since February, so he probably figured it out by now.

4. Alex4U

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    Formatting ask you if you want to DELETE you NNID, if you dont want delete you nnid, only the wii u unlink you nnid...

Yep, i looked he asked since February, so, i only want to help!!! :/

Olmectron likes this.
  5. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    It's alright, just saying.

And, when formatting, NNID accounts aren't deleted, but they won't allow you to re-download any game, until you re-add it to one user (the same NNID account), so, you would need the ID and the password for linking the NNID to a new User, allowing you to re-download the purchased games.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...t-is-lost-after-formatting-the-system-memory?

Alex4U likes this.
  6. Alex4U

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico